Top 10 Heavyweights... What?!?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Top 10 Heavyweights... What?!?
jjeans
12/27/09 7:36:50AM
Ok just visited sherdogs top 10 heavyweights and mmaplaygrounds own top 10 heavyweights.
If you havent seen the list i advise you do.

Revising the list this is supposed to be for the current top heavyweights. Underneath i have posted there rankings and there wins since 2008.

1. Fedor 3-0 Tim Sylvia, Arlovski, Brett Rogers
2. Lesnar 3-1 Herring Couture Mir - Mir
3. Mir 3-1 Nog, Lesnar, Kongo - Lesnar
4. Nog, 2-1 Sylvia Couture - Mir
5. Carwin 3-0 Wellisch, Wain, Gonzaga
6. Velasquez 5-0 Morris, o'Brien, Stojnic, Kongo, Rothwell
7. Barnett 4-0 Yoshida, Monson, Rizzo, Yvel
8. Dos Santos 4-0 Dos santos, Werdum, Stuve, Cro Cop
9. Overeem 5-0 Tae-Hyun, Hunt, Goodridge, Sylvester, Thompson
10. Randy Couture 0-2 Lesnar, Nog

Ones we dont have sherdog do..
5. Brett Rogers 4-1 Thompson, Murphy, Humphrey, Arlovski - Fedor
7. Arlovski 3-2 O'Brien, Rothwell, Nelson - Fedor, Rogers

Velasquez has proven himself 5 times in 2 years, and the current couture didnt win in the Heavyweight division (i understand he used 2 be incredicble but 0-2 in 24 months!

Because of all these statistics, my question to you is this.

How do you choose you're top 10 fighters.
SmileR
12/27/09 7:59:58AM

I would take Barnett and Overeem out of the top ten because of their use of steroids, but I'd have no problem with Randy being Ranked 10th. Yeah he's 0-2 but they have been seriously impressive losses.
He fought Lesnar a 290lb monster and in my opinion was winning until he got KO'd and the Nog fight was a back and forth war!!

Rogers deserves to be on there because of the way he tooled Fedor before getting his lights put out.

Arlovski deserves to be in there because he was beating Fedor much like Rogers before he got caught with a monster over hand right from nowhere. The Rogers fight he has no real excuse except poor planning and lack of time to prepare, but it doesn't take from the fact that he's still a legit top 10 HW.

My top ten is : -
1: Fedor.
2: Lesnar
3: Big Nog
4: Mir
5: Carwin
6: Velasquez
7: Arlovski
8: Rogers
9: Dos Santos
10: Couture

jjeans
12/27/09 9:24:54AM
I commpletely see you're reasons behind you're top 10 but surely Mir has achieved more the lesnar and Nog.

He has beaten them both, and he secured a win over Kongo, not that that means a lot, but he has a better record than Lesnar who beat Herring and Couture.

What puts Nog above Mir and Why is Lesnar ontop of Mir, is it only because lesnar beat him, in that case it is 1-1. And Lesnar will be unable to fight for a long period so surely this is Mir's time to step up.

1 Fedor due to no losses over decent opponents
2 Mir for beating Nog and Lesnar
3 Lesnar for Beating Mir
4 Nog for overall experience

Carwin i dont believe should be top 5 as lesnar said he has fought one match, and was losing till he landed one punch? So you somehow get into the top 5 for beating someone who isint in the top 10 with one punch????? Seems like a bit of luck. Surely Velasquez is more justifiable

I don't want to argue and i am willing to change my opinions, if somebody can give me a justified reason
SmileR
12/27/09 10:20:10AM

Posted by jjeans

I commpletely see you're reasons behind you're top 10 but surely Mir has achieved more the lesnar and Nog.

He has beaten them both, and he secured a win over Kongo, not that that means a lot, but he has a better record than Lesnar who beat Herring and Couture.

What puts Nog above Mir and Why is Lesnar ontop of Mir, is it only because lesnar beat him, in that case it is 1-1. And Lesnar will be unable to fight for a long period so surely this is Mir's time to step up.

1 Fedor due to no losses over decent opponents
2 Mir for beating Nog and Lesnar
3 Lesnar for Beating Mir
4 Nog for overall experience

Carwin i dont believe should be top 5 as lesnar said he has fought one match, and was losing till he landed one punch? So you somehow get into the top 5 for beating someone who isint in the top 10 with one punch????? Seems like a bit of luck. Surely Velasquez is more justifiable

I don't want to argue and i am willing to change my opinions, if somebody can give me a justified reason

I can see why Mir could be ranked above Nog but I can't really see him ranked above Lesnar. Although Mir beat them both he also lost in a very dominating fashion to Lesnar and the Nog fight it was clear to see Nog wasn't 100%.
I'm not making excuses for Nog though because I'm a firm believer in the fact that if you step into the cage your fit enough to fight so don't make excuses when you lose. If their was a rematch I think I would pick Nog again though.

With Carwin above Velasquez I just think Carwin would have his way with him. They are basically carbon copies of each other but with Carwin having a huge strength and power advantage and Cane having the speed and technical striking. That being said Cane was dropped by Kongo who hits nowhere near as hard as Carwin and Carwin took solid shots from Gonzaga and only looked fazed once. Carwins wrestling is on par with Velasquez's so he wouldn't be able to take him down and keep him there like he did with Kongo and Rothwell and Carwin just has to land one shot and its game over for Velasquez.
I don't rank him top 5 for just the fight with Gonzaga though its the fact that he has such great wrestling and in my opinion the hardest punches in the HW devision.
Its frightening just how much power that man can get into one shot!

I see your point about Lesnar though and if he is out for as long as people predict I probably will drop him a few spots but the way he has dominated people including Mir since loss is frightening and I'd go as far s to say if he didn't get sick and carried on the way he has been I'd rank him above Fedor for fighting higher ranked opponents and being more active.
jjeans
12/27/09 12:21:14PM
Ok, i understand you're point that he lost, but i refuse to forget mir started beating lesnar standing up. And Mir now weighs 20 pounds more than he did on the first meet, but i do see you're point and i now understand how you can mark the top 4 as
Fedor, Lesnar, Mir, Nog

2 Weeks ago i hated Velasquez as he appeared overated. With awful stand up, which was shown even in the rothwell fight the kongo fight goes without mention. And i agree that carwin would have his way with him. But how is Carwin above everybody else:
Brett Rogers?
Dos Santos?
Heck even Overeem?

I understand how he is above Arvlovski, because of the glass jaw :S but all the others?
cmill21
12/27/09 1:08:27PM
Remember no one bases their rankings on skill, they seem to base them off of wins over people who have one impressive win.
george112
12/27/09 1:31:52PM
couture IMO shouldnt be in the top 10

if you dont fight there anymore you need to be left outta the list
The_Hitman
12/27/09 5:03:24PM

Posted by george112

couture IMO shouldnt be in the top 10

if you dont fight there anymore you need to be left outta the list

i agree with this.
RearNakedJoke
12/28/09 12:26:22AM

Lesnar destroyed mir in the second fight. a win over Kongo isnt greater than a 3 round demolishing of herring and knocking out Couture.

Carwin i dont believe should be top 5 as lesnar said he has fought one match, and was losing till he landed one punch? So you somehow get into the top 5 for beating someone who isint in the top 10 with one punch????? Seems like a bit of luck.

thats how fedor won his last 2 fights. by this standard he surely shouldnt be at #1.

jjeans
12/28/09 7:52:55AM
Ok i agree with the whole 3 round dominating, herring and Kongo thing

But Fedors One Punch Win????? That did not happen at all in the Rogers Fight, i am rewatching it now. In the first 2:30 He had excuted 2 takedowns both of which landed and had landed 2 solid strikes that phased Rogers. Carwin however was rocked standing up, was taken down. Carwin landed 4 strikes in that match before Gonzago was out, a Jab, a counterstraight and the KO Combo.

I will admit that Fedor beat Arlovski with the 1 shot. But Carwin has never fought anybody big named and find himself in contention for top 5?
The reason why the 2 year rule doesn't really apply to Fedor is that he has yet to lose for 9 Years. Carwin has not done this, nobody in the division has done this.

So How is Carwin finding himself above Velasquez who has beaten 2 big names dominantly. Dos Santos who also has beaten 2 big names dominantly?
Sure it needs to be justified why people think that?
RhythmAndStyle
12/28/09 4:44:29PM
i think everyone needs to take out Randy Couture..sinceh he dropped down to LHW..i pretty sure we ain't gonna see him fight back at HW..one of my reasons i took him out of my top ten..i dropped Josh B. down to 10th since it gonna be a LONG time since we see him fight..and since other fighters are fighting they'll probably ended up takin his spot soon...edit p.s. i also have Cain V. and JDS higher in rankin than Shane C.
BustedKnuckle
12/28/09 10:28:52PM

Posted by SmileR

I would take Barnett and Overeem out of the top ten because of their use of steroids, but I'd have no problem with Randy being Ranked 10th. Yeah he's 0-2 but they have been seriously impressive losses.
He fought Lesnar a 290lb monster and in my opinion was winning until he got KO'd and the Nog fight was a back and forth war!!

Rogers deserves to be on there because of the way he tooled Fedor before getting his lights put out.

Arlovski deserves to be in there because he was beating Fedor much like Rogers before he got caught with a monster over hand right from nowhere. The Rogers fight he has no real excuse except poor planning and lack of time to prepare, but it doesn't take from the fact that he's still a legit top 10 HW.

My top ten is : -
1: Fedor.
2: Lesnar
3: Big Nog
4: Mir
5: Carwin
6: Velasquez
7: Arlovski
8: Rogers
9: Dos Santos
10: Couture

Overeem has never tested positive and probably will never. Seeing as he wont fight in the US. I might drop AA and add Roy Nelsion at # 10. I now he just ending his TUF stint. But he has the tools to be trouble for anyone in the HW Div.
prozacnation1978
12/31/09 8:21:24AM
barnett and arlovski should be gone