Heavyweight tournament to culminate at UFC 100 in July

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Heavyweight tournament to culminate at UFC 100 in July
Wolfenstein
11/21/08 2:11:12AM
UFC heavyweight champion, Brock Lesnar is set to sit out the first half of 2009, making his return to the octagon at the promotions celebration event, UFC 100 on July 4th.
link
Bobby-B-Bonkers
11/21/08 2:19:17AM
Where did this info come from??? How can you have a tourney without Fedor, AA, Werdum, and T Sylvia??? I think the UFC needs to bring some fighters back.
jae_1833
11/21/08 2:39:04AM
Not sure if this is very legit.

UFC 100 should be in Vegas New years eve 2010. All belts on the line! Make it a night of "Dream Fights" free, full length, and live on Spike TV!!!!

Fights I would want to see.
Fedor vs Randy
Lesnar vs Nog (counting Mir out ..... sorry, it's harsh but true)
Wandy vs Shogun
Babalu vs Tito
A. Silva vs Okami 2 (then A. Silva retires)
Lawler vs Marquardt
GSP vs Shields
Kos vs Diego 2
Penn vs Florian
Guida vs Thompson 2
mentalcase
11/21/08 3:52:24AM

Posted by Bobby-B-Bonkers

Where did this info come from??? How can you have a tourney without Fedor, AA, Werdum, and T Sylvia??? I think the UFC needs to bring some fighters back.

no he means the ufc 4 man HW tornament as in lesner-couture and mir-nog
so lesner will fight winner on nog-mir at ufc 100
DCRage
11/21/08 6:06:49AM

Posted by Bobby-B-Bonkers

As noted above this is UFC-only, and the tourney that started last Saturday. The only thing I don't like about this date is it means we'll have to wait 6-7 months after Nog-Mir to finally settle it all. I personally was hoping for March or April depending on how everyone came out of their fights.
emfleek
11/21/08 8:41:41AM

Posted by jae_1833

UFC 100 should be in Vegas New years eve 2010. All belts on the line! Make it a night of "Dream Fights" free, full length, and live on Spike TV!!!!

Today is November 21, 2008...you'd seriously be okay with the UFC having only 8 more events between now and December 31, 2009?
ziegler3334
11/21/08 9:27:49AM
I understand that UFC 100 is a big deal and its going to be a huge show. Dana has said that the question he hears most often is "what are you going to do for UFC 100?". So i know he will not disappoint. I don't think he necesarily needs lesnar on the card for it to be big. I think that he is a little caught up in the promo power brock has. I can't wait to see him against nog/mir winner, which i hope is nog. That'll be great. But i would like to see it sooner than july. I was hoping march in ohio, (being an ohian i might be biased) but july is so far. I understand he wants time off, but nog and mir both havn't been in action too much the last year so another hiatus is a bummer. I think the big difference between 91 and 100 will be the supporting cast. I think it'll end up being bigger than 92, and its a long way away, but it would have to set the record for ppv buys.
State_Champ
11/21/08 11:39:52AM

Posted by jae_1833

Not sure if this is very legit.

Fights I would want to see.
Fedor vs Randy
Lesnar vs Nog (counting Mir out ..... sorry, it's harsh but true)
Wandy vs Shogun
Babalu vs Tito
A. Silva vs Okami 2 (then A. Silva retires)
Lawler vs Marquardt
GSP vs Shields
Kos vs Diego 2
Penn vs Florian
Guida vs Thompson 2

Really, Kos vs Diego again? I certainly don't think that their snooze-fest of a fight would warrant a rematch.
DCRage
11/21/08 1:09:39PM
Not happening considering Kos is gone after Fights For The Troops barring a change of heart on someone's part.
Hendo67
11/21/08 1:28:30PM
Wandy and Shogun won't fight
RiseUp21
11/21/08 4:21:18PM
i'll be pissed if lesnar HEADLINES UFC 100. I dont care if he on the show, but i think someone like GSP, Penn, or Silva, or Liddell, or blah blah blah should headline.. you get the picture. i think UFC 100 is more of a "celebration" for us fans that have been around longer than UFC 81 (Brock's UFC debut)...

/2 cents.
emfleek
11/21/08 4:38:19PM

Posted by RiseUp21

i'll be pissed if lesnar HEADLINES UFC 100. I dont care if he on the show, but i think someone like GSP, Penn, or Silva, or Liddell, or blah blah blah should headline.. you get the picture. i think UFC 100 is more of a "celebration" for us fans that have been around longer than UFC 81 (Brock's UFC debut)...

/2 cents.

Wrong. UFC 100 is about doing whatever is needed to make the most money. Nothing more. Nothing less. The UFC doesn't give a shit about you, me or any other 'hardcore' fan.
gsquat
11/21/08 4:55:17PM
I think Lesnar/Nog or Lesnar/Mir 2 would be an appropriate headliner for 100. I'm sure there would be several huge fights that night that themselves would rival this one. Even moreso than 92.
prozacnation1978
11/21/08 7:42:13PM
i do think the 100 will be in july in vegas but i doubt it will be july 4th might be following week though on the 11th
jae_1833
11/21/08 11:16:57PM
Many quoted me so allow me to retort.

1. emfleek.....8 more events would be just fine for a year....add 2 fight nights and you get UFC almost every month. I watch more MMA than just UFC!

2. State_Camp....Kos and Diego was a fluke IMO....they are both very talented WWs and would love for them to have a rematch, I just would hope it to be a lot more action packed of course.

3. DCRage....like Swick, Kos will most likely stick around, my understanding is that they have already picked up Fitch again.....have faith bro!!

4. Hendo67.....They don't train together anymore....who knows it's all about the

Lastly let me add this.....it was my list of DREAM fights.....that's all....
haggiswashere
11/21/08 11:22:11PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by RiseUp21

/2 cents.

Wrong. UFC 100 is about doing whatever is needed to make the most money. Nothing more. Nothing less. The UFC doesn't give a shit about you, me or any other 'hardcore' fan.

I agree.