The Heavyweight Situation!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » The Heavyweight Situation!
MisterFreeze
3/22/10 2:22:27PM
I'm incredibly excited about the way things are shaping up inside the Heavyweight division!
I remember a few years ago when the HW was the weakest and shallowest division of the UFC. It's come so far in just a few short years.

There are so many potential match ups now that I would love to see!
I would love to see:

Brock vs Carwin, vs Dos Santos and vs Velasquez. (I also want to see the third Frank Mir fight, but not until at least one of these other 3 get a shot first)

Dos Santos vs Carwin, vs Velasquez, and vs Kongo (A win against any of these three would certainly make Dos Santos number 1 contender, but I would even love to see JDS fight Brock next)

Frank Mir vs Nog II, vs Kongo II, vs Todd Duffee

And of course we have a bunch of lower heavyweights floating around that I would love to see matched up:
Stefan Struve, Roy Nelson, Kimbo, Pat Barry, Cro Cop.

My ideal fight match ups for the next few months would go like this.

Mir Vs Carwin (which is happening!!)
Dos Santos vs Velasquez (Hopefully will happen in the next few months)

the winner of JDS and Velasquez should fight the loser of Mir and Carwin.
Then the winner of Mir and Carwin fights Brock.
Then whoever wins against the loser of Carwin and Mir, should go on to fight the winner of Brock and mystery opponent.

What do you guys think??

emfleek
3/22/10 2:24:58PM
JDS versus anyone.

gartface
3/22/10 2:31:10PM
I think in all of this there will be four heavyweights that emerge as the ELITE. Lesnar, Mir, Velasquez and Dos Santos.

But I'm loving the lower ranks of up and comers, especially Struve and Nelson. Can't wait to see them duke it out.
emfleek
3/22/10 2:32:47PM

Posted by gartface

I think in all of this there will be four heavyweights that emerge as the ELITE. Lesnar, Mir, Velasquez and Dos Santos.

Props if I could. I absolutely agree.
sparky
3/22/10 2:32:57PM

Posted by emfleek

JDS versus anyone.

Thats what im talking about!!!!!!
shotokansun
3/22/10 2:34:36PM
Well, we all know that the winner of Carwin/Mir is going to get their shot at Lesnar, so we have that.

I think that the loser of that fight should fight the winner of a fight between JDS and Cain. Then the winner of that should probably have one more fight (not sure who yet) before a shot at whoever the champ is at that point.
MisterFreeze
3/22/10 3:11:21PM

Posted by emfleek

JDS versus anyone.

Absolutely!!!
I truly believe JDS is the next champ! I think he will beat anyone, even Brock!
marcoDGK
3/22/10 3:33:14PM
Is anyone else expecting JDS to call out Cain Valasquez after the KO of Big Nog? I do. I think JDS is going to go straight after Cain.

if that happens I think the Winner of that should get the winner of Lesnar vs (Carwin/Mir)

That would just makes the Heavyweight Situation Epic.

marcoDGK
3/22/10 3:38:16PM

Posted by MisterFreeze

Posted by emfleek

JDS versus anyone.

Absolutely!!!

I don't know about that Buddy! I think Cain will stop him. Cain has good ability to put together some precise combinations. JDS caught Gonzaga when he tried to leg kick and Yvel on a sloppy exchange. He def. has the power to KO Cain but Cain has shown some great stand up- accurate and powerful.

JDS is a beast but I think Cain has some really good technique.

AMAZING match up if it happens. I think Cain thought.
MisterFreeze
3/22/10 5:57:42PM

I don't know about that Buddy! I think Cain will stop him. Cain has good ability to put together some precise combinations. JDS caught Gonzaga when he tried to leg kick and Yvel on a sloppy exchange. He def. has the power to KO Cain but Cain has shown some great stand up- accurate and powerful.

I certainly think Cain has incredible skills and could very well stop JDS if they fight, but I like JDS's takedown defense, and his knockout power.
Junior puts people to sleep almost as easily as Carwin puts people to sleep.
Ultimately the two guys who I see giving Brock the biggest challenge are JDS and Carwin, and my philosophy is: "Always pick the Brazillian"
warglory
3/22/10 6:08:35PM

Posted by marcoDGK

Posted by MisterFreeze

Posted by emfleek

JDS versus anyone.

Absolutely!!!

I think Cain's striking is not on par with JDS'. If you look at his fight with Kongo, he was basically getting outclassed on the feet. JDS is a much crisper and experienced kickboxer than Cain, and I really think his ground skills will nullify alot of Cain's ability to ground and pound, so that takedown won't be a huge concern for JDS. Don't get me wrong, this would be a very close bout, but I see JDS taking it.
prozacnation1978
3/22/10 7:25:38PM
jds reminds me of andre arlovski
out of all the heavyweights in the ufc i am on the dos santos express
jiujitsufreak74
3/22/10 7:56:39PM
don't sleep on Duffee. JDS got a big fight, Cain got a big fight and Carwin got a big fight. Just wait for Duffe to get a big fight and show how talented he is on the big stage like all three aforementioned fighters did.
MisterFreeze
3/22/10 9:57:49PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

don't sleep on Duffee. JDS got a big fight, Cain got a big fight and Carwin got a big fight. Just wait for Duffe to get a big fight and show how talented he is on the big stage like all three aforementioned fighters did.

I agree with you! I just have to wait to see another fight or two with Duffee before I start analyzing him in the title contention scene
jgtribbett
3/22/10 11:49:53PM
i think cain will take a loss but then straight to the top. period!
chickmagnet
3/23/10 3:57:34PM
JDS is the uncrowned champ. Its a matter of time before he KOs anyone holding the belt, whether it be Mir, Carwin, or Lesnar, or even Velasquez.

This guys timing is unreal, and is the best boxer in the HW division.

Im begining to gain more and more respect for him everytime he fights.

Before he fights for a title I would like to see him fight Kongo first.
MisterFreeze
3/23/10 5:24:47PM

Posted by chickmagnet

JDS is the uncrowned champ. Its a matter of time before he KOs anyone holding the belt, whether it be Mir, Carwin, or Lesnar, or even Velasquez.

I agree! thats a great idea, I'd love to see him fight Kongo!
jiujitsufreak74
3/23/10 5:46:35PM

Posted by chickmagnet

i don't know how he would fair against Lesnar pressing him up the cage and smothering him. he is pretty small for HW, and whil ei do love his KO ability and explosiveness, i don't see him getting passed Lesnar.

JDS vs Cain is a match i would LOVE to see. both have crisp boxing, but i would be curious to see how Cain's wrestling factors in against JDS.
copcopps
3/23/10 6:28:56PM
read my sig JDS
Boo_Radley21
3/23/10 10:38:43PM
Definitely a crazy exciting division. They have heavy handed strikers, a couple big huge wrestlers, and the two best heavyweight jiu jitsu fighters in MMA. Plus some legit threats. Plus the champ is a gigantic freak of nature who I could see beating anyone in the heavyweight division on any given day to be honest.
sbulldavid
3/23/10 11:10:34PM
JDS beats Carwin, Mir, loses Lesner

Cain beats JDS, Lesner, loses Mir

Lesner beats JDS, Mir, loses Velasquez

Mir beats Carwin, Cain, loses to Lesner

These have been my thoughts on the match-ups
cmill21
3/24/10 2:23:15AM
Hasn't been this good since Pride. Man i'm jacked, it appears JDS is the new Cro Cop, smallish HW with KO power, unfortunetly it's not the same kind of KO's. I'd love to see Fedor with these guys, I still think he'd mop the floor with anyone, but I'd love to see it.