UFC Heavyweight Roy Nelson Wants Three Minute Rounds

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC Heavyweight Roy Nelson Wants Three Minute Rounds
pmoney
5/9/11 10:49:25AM
Roy Nelson is a multi-tasker. While preparing for his May 28 fight with Frank Mir at UFC 130, he is also trying to come up with ideas to improve the sport. Nelson recently spoke to ESPN.com and shared his reasoning for why he thinks three minute rounds are the way to go for MMA.

Article
Boo_Radley21
5/9/11 10:57:26AM
I don't like it. They're still going to feel eachother out, but the round is just going to end sooner. One of the things I liked better about the MMA rules than boxing was the three five minute rounds. I hate how boxing has so many short rounds.
pmoney
5/9/11 11:20:38AM
I could see three minute rounds being either great or disastrous. If only there were some way to do a trial run. Some might think that three minute rounds might hinder the ground game, but Big Country is a high level grappler, and he is suggesting this format.

Then again, Country has good hands, so he probably doesn't care where the fight ends up!

I feel that MMA hasn't been perfected yet. It's very close, but there are still judging issues, rule issues, and other things that need to be ironed out and agreed on and standardized. How much needs to be changed though, and how things can be changed for the better, remains to be seen.

Pride rules & time + elbows = Perfection?
Twenty20Dollars
5/9/11 12:10:04PM
Wasnt there 3 minute rounds when Women's MMA was starting. I thought the rounds went by too fast. It's fine the way it is.

Maybe Big country is saying that because he is fat and doesnt want to train cardio
Budgellism
5/9/11 12:25:23PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Wasnt there 3 minute rounds when Women's MMA was starting. I thought the rounds went by too fast. It's fine the way it is.

Maybe Big country is saying that because he is fat and doesnt want to train cardio

Yes there was. And it didn't work out well in my opinion. Am I the only one that finds it funny that Nelson is the one saying this?

emfleek
5/9/11 12:30:42PM
Did I miss something? I've always been rather impressed by Roy's cardio. I highly doubt he's saying this because he's lazy. That's nonsense.
Budgellism
5/9/11 12:36:02PM

Posted by emfleek

Did I miss something? I've always been rather impressed by Roy's cardio. I highly doubt he's saying this because he's lazy. That's nonsense.

Just an excuse for a Belly joke. That and he didn't show the greatest cardio against jds last time I checked.
prozacnation1978
5/9/11 12:52:11PM
No thank you!!!
mattjonesy
5/9/11 1:25:11PM
IF they did do this they would have to make the octagon smaller aswell imo so they will have no choice but to fight for the full 3 mins!
MaxOne
5/9/11 1:31:00PM
I'd love 3 minute rounds, 5 round non-title fights and then 7 rounds for title fights but either way... I think coming up with a consistent way to score rounds is way more important.

DANZANRYUGUY
5/9/11 1:32:49PM
3 minute rounds would seem to fast. seems like they wouldnt have a chance to feel each other out. a 10 min 1st round like pride would be cool though. i wouldnt mind seeing that.
Aether
5/9/11 2:26:31PM
*INSERT FAT JOKE HERE*
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
5/9/11 2:42:09PM
I pass on that...5 minutes is good...3 minute rounds=stupid
hashyandy4
5/9/11 2:42:55PM
No thank you
jae_1833
5/9/11 2:57:26PM

Posted by pmoney

I could see three minute rounds being either great or disastrous. If only there were some way to do a trial run.

There is!! It's an organization called "CAMMO" Which is the Cali Amat MMA Org....they recently have been running experiments with rules and judging criteria during their amatuer fights and reporting their findings up.....I know they have used US rules with JMMA judging criteria and vice versa, plus they have used mixed rulesets before as well. I know a guy who fights for them who works on base when I used to, he used to talk MMA with me all the time as I was an instructor and he was my civilian/military laison. They are a really trying to help the sport find it's path, support them if you can all!!!!

Oh and with all that said I do not agree with a lot of short rounds......I've seen it and it sucks. However knees to the head of a grounded opponent does need to be fixed....stomps/soccer kicks I still have mixed feelings on. Judging needs help desparately, and 5 round wars for "Superfights" is dumb because everyone is going to fighting over getting one when they don't rate them....don't open Pandora's box on this!
FastKnockout
5/9/11 3:15:57PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by emfleek

Just an excuse for a Belly joke. That and he didn't show the greatest cardio against jds last time I checked.

Getting punched in the face repeatedly by someone like Dos Santos will do that to ya.
pmoney
5/9/11 3:36:29PM

Posted by jae_1833

Posted by pmoney

I could see three minute rounds being either great or disastrous. If only there were some way to do a trial run.

There is!! It's an organization called "CAMMO" Which is the Cali Amat MMA Org....they recently have been running experiments with rules and judging criteria during their amatuer fights and reporting their findings up.....I know they have used US rules with JMMA judging criteria and vice versa, plus they have used mixed rulesets before as well. I know a guy who fights for them who works on base when I used to, he used to talk MMA with me all the time as I was an instructor and he was my civilian/military laison. They are a really trying to help the sport find it's path, support them if you can all!!!!

Oh and with all that said I do not agree with a lot of short rounds......I've seen it and it sucks. However knees to the head of a grounded opponent does need to be fixed....stomps/soccer kicks I still have mixed feelings on. Judging needs help desparately, and 5 round wars for "Superfights" is dumb because everyone is going to fighting over getting one when they don't rate them....don't open Pandora's box on this!

Good call on CAMMO! I remember reading an article (I believe this past December) that said they were going to start judging amateur bouts with the a new MMA specific scoring system that would facilitate half points. I believe that was a trial run that was supposed to last through this year.

All of the close rounds that get 10-9s (where 10-10's are never used :::cough:::) could be scored 10-9.5, dominant rounds could be 10-9, 10-8.5, etc.... I wonder how it's working out....
bjj1605
5/9/11 4:18:58PM
Well by his logic 1 minute rounds would be even better. Or how about just thirty seconds?

I couldn't disagree more with Roy.

I think if anything, rounds should be longer. I loved the 10 minute first round in Pride. Less interruptions in a fight is a good thing. The more rules, officials, rounds, ect. that you put in between fighters, the less it is a real fight. I get so mad when a guy is caught in a submission or about to be knocked out and the round ends. I'm always like "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! This is why UFC 1 was so awesome!"
RyanC
5/9/11 4:36:41PM
3 minute rounds has got to be one of the worst ideas ever.
tallica62
5/9/11 4:45:04PM
i would too if i were his size
BeeR
5/9/11 5:55:02PM
roy has better cardio then most skinny guys, I dont think he is lazy at all.

3 minute rounds would be alright, if there were 5 or 7 of them.
postman
5/9/11 10:09:29PM
The problem is bad judging for the most part when draws happen. Not time limits or round limits.
CracMMA
5/9/11 10:24:09PM
Just to make note... Nelson has some of the better cardio in the sport, not just compared to other fat guys, but compared to many fighters. Dude doesn't seem to wear out even when getting the hell smashed out of him.

Also, Nelson suggested three minute rounds, indeed. Can't call the guy lazy, because he suggest TEN three minute rounds.

That said, I don't like the idea because I think it takes away from the submission game. Taking those minutes away would be a huge edge for strikers, and big disadvantage to jiu-jitsu practitioners. How many times have we seen submissions pulled off in the mere final seconds of a round?
CracMMA
5/9/11 10:24:50PM
Also, someone already said it, counter fighters and guys that feel out their opponents wouldn't change their styles due to a shortened stanza. Instead of getting three minutes of fighting in a five minute round, we'd get one minute of fighting in a three minute round. Then again, one minute of fighting...how could a judge score that wrong? In any case, judges would still find a way to slaughter it.
machodog76
5/10/11 3:52:07PM
Tachi palace didi 3 minute rounds with their prelims last weekend. I thought it was crap there's just not enough time to work on the ground, especialy if one guy really has to work for a take down. Shorter rounds make it easier to lay and pray or wall and stall your way to victory and in my opinion would lead to more boring fights.
prophecy033
7/9/11 4:57:10PM
Of course he wants 3 minute roundabout, he doesn't wanna actually train hard. The guy is a good fighter with good standup and jiu-jitsu, but if he got into decent shape he could possibly be a legitimately contender. But I have to admit, ho-ho's and twinkies do taste good