UFC Heavyweight Picture

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC Heavyweight Picture
POLL: Which guy would win this "tournament"?
Big Nog 64% (35)
Tim Sylvia 5% (3)
Cheick Kongo 5% (3)
Gabriel Gonzaga 18% (10)
Andrei Arlovski 5% (3)
Brandon Vera 2% (1)
ohiostate1016
10/29/07 9:09:48PM
Champion: Vacant

Contenders: Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira "Big Nog", Tim Sylvia, Cheick Kongo, Gabriel Gonzaga, Andrei Arlovski, Brandon Vera

Here's what we do:

Big Nog will face Sylvia to crown a new champ
Kongo will face Arlovski
GG will face Vera

And the next round would be:

Big Nog/Sylvia (c)

Kongo/Arlovski
GG/Vera

And then the "Finals"
Big Nog/Sylvia (c)
Kongo/Arlovski/GG/Vera

I have to admit, this was a lot easier than the LHW title picture.
themmadigest
10/30/07 2:17:01AM
I think the press conference that is to be held this afternoon might clear up what they're going to do with the heavyweight class. Sylvia seems to be expecting to fight Nogueira next, if that happens, whether or not it will be for the title I guess the UFC is going to determine soon.
ohiostate1016
10/30/07 11:45:57AM
According to UFC.com, Couture is still the HW champ...but then again, Sherk is still listed as the LW champ.
TNunley
10/30/07 11:56:30AM

Posted by ohiostate1016

According to UFC.com, Couture is still the HW champ...but then again, Sherk is still listed as the LW champ.

Very true... Sherk will remain champ unless his appeal is not overturned... Dana said himself that Randy Couture will still be the champ until he and Randy can figure things out. If Randy admits "retirement" I'm sure the belt will remain vacant... but I would venture to guess that for legal purposes (or to at least make themselves look better in case it ends up in court) they will keep Randy as the champ until either his contract is up, an attempt to fight elsewhere, or an admission of retirement.
JimiMak
10/30/07 12:12:17PM
Yeah, but they almost have to do what they did when Tito wouldn't fight and crown an "interim" champ. They can't go too long w/o a HW title match. Too many belts right now are in weird limbos.
jgtribbett
10/30/07 3:04:31PM
who knows.. i'd like to see th HW and LHW divisions in about a year haha.. it'll be interesting
theNomad
10/31/07 6:10:41PM
smart money's on Nog
xchickox
10/31/07 6:18:10PM
i dont think they'll put AA against kongo because they aren't happy with AA and kongo's on a flyer so it doesn't make much sense too put them against each other

more like heath herring vs AA

i think also vera vs kongo to fight the winner of big nog vs slyvia
pgally2000
11/1/07 3:17:30AM
How come they got rid of the Noguiera/Kongo fight? It would have made sense for the winner of that to just fight Sylvia for the belt...
Yaknowhaimean
11/1/07 11:31:02AM

Posted by xchickox

i dont think they'll put AA against kongo because they aren't happy with AA and kongo's on a flyer so it doesn't make much sense too put them against each other

more like heath herring vs AA

Good point about AA. Maybe he could fight herring or Cro Cop?

As for the heavyweight picture, after trying to wrap my head around the UFC/Randy name calling, here is what I think might happen. Dana schedules Kongo v. Sylvia (who tim was calling out also), and Big Nog v. Randy. He basically tries to force Randy to accept the fight or retire and give up the belt. If he gives it up, the winner of Kongo/Tim face Big Nog for the title, and Big Nog wins it. Just my 2 cents...
MondayNiteMauser
11/1/07 4:09:15PM
There's really only 3 ligit contenders in the UFC right now and thats
Big Tim
Nog
Kongo

It's gonna be Big Tim vs. Big Nog leaving Kongo to fight another no name since
the Werdum vs. Gonzaga rematch is already signed
quezocrema0032
11/2/07 11:11:50PM
THE WAY I SEE IT IS SLYVIA AND BIG NOG ARE THE 2 TOP CONTENDERS BUT GONZAGA WILL EVENTUALLY WIN THE BELT HE FOUGHT COUTURE TUFF AND EVERYONE NEEDS A TUFF LOSS TO BE AN ELITE FIGHTER AND THTS WHT JARDINE GAVE GRIFFIN AND ALEXANDER GAVE JARDINE NOW WE WILL EVENTUALLY SEE GONZAGA WIN THE BELT