Former Heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia ready to return to the UFC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Former Heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia ready to return to the UFC
« Previous Page
Aether
9/2/09 11:10:51PM
As much as I've always dislike Sylvia's fighting style, he is still the same fighter that he was when he had the belt. Who did he lose to? The best fighter on the planet, a UFC hall of famer and multiple time champion across 2 weight divisions, and then a Boxer.

So the Mercer fight is really the only fight that anyone can use to discredit him, and I would have to say that any former professional boxer has a big puncher's chance on the feet. I think that has pretty much always been the argument about boxers fighting MMA, that they would have a significant advantage over just about any striker on the feet, but a serious disadvantage in any form of grappling.

I have really never liked Sylvia, but I think people are way too fast to judge a fighter on a couple of losses, especially when the majority of them happen in title fights. People were on about the same nonsense when Henderson lost 2 in a row. It seems like people are totally unable to contextualize a loss, it's just like a loss is a loss and if you lose 2 or 3 times, no matter how good your opponents were, you're washed up. Tim could still compete in the UFC IMO.
GrandMaster313
9/3/09 1:16:59AM
Im sorry I dont have any interest in Big "Timmeh" coming back. He has nothing to offer the heavyweight division except maybe filling a fight on a card like Frank Trigg seems to be doing. He fights the same ol' boring style against everyone he fights. He is really slow and has no ground game, offence or defense.

My opinion..... Sylvia will just slow the division down.
RearNakedJoke
9/3/09 4:40:33AM

Me against Frank (Mir), me against (Antonio Rodrigo) Nogueira, me against Randy (Couture). Those three right there. The two guys I lost to (Nogueira and Couture) that were all great fights the first time.

those were your only great fights and all 3 of those guys beat you soundly.maybe dana can pay him to let Mir snap his other arm in 2. THAT i'd be willing to watch.

hurry up and go to japan so we can watch minowaman yank your knee out of socket.

I have really never liked Sylvia, but I think people are way too fast to judge a fighter on a couple of losses, especially when the majority of them happen in title fights.

even his wins were signs he needed to go. boring! he won fights purely on his height and reach. if it werent for those things Monson would have subbed him easily in his match. moson could barley see and timmy couldnt finish him. why couldnt he finish a half crippled brandon vera? he didnt have a single high point against Couture. Arlovski Sylvia 3? one of the most pathetic fights ive ever seen(by both guys) and i cant even watch the assuerio silva fight because i get ill seeing his tighty whities.

only reason he got a title fight with Nog was because they had nobody else healthy or not already committed to a fight.
Drudinh
9/3/09 7:34:52AM
Maybe some unkown HW's for the undercard to start off
Pages: 1 [2]