Former Heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia ready to return to the UFC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Former Heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia ready to return to the UFC
Next Page »
ThaAxeMurderer7
9/2/09 1:25:42PM
Former heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia wants to return to the place where he first found major success.

The former two-time title-holder, who left the UFC in early 2008 after mutually agreeing with the organization to terminate his contract, has lost three straight fights, which included an embarrassing nine-second knockout loss to 48-year-old boxer Ray Mercer in June.

Link
emfleek
9/2/09 1:27:35PM
You have a LONG way to go, Timmeh.
ThaAxeMurderer7
9/2/09 1:31:06PM

Posted by emfleek

You have a LONG way to go, Timmeh.

No kidding, huh? If he loses to Jason Riley, we may never see "Big Tim" back in the octagon ever again. I know a lot of people don't care for Sylvia but he was a former heavyweight champion and I think it would be a great story for him to climb back to the top.
Gogoplatapus
9/2/09 1:49:46PM
Timmy better pray for another heavyweight season of TUF.
grappler0000
9/2/09 2:05:10PM

"There'd be some great fights if I was back in the UFC. Me against Frank (Mir), me against (Antonio Rodrigo) Nogueira, me against Randy (Couture). Those three right there. The two guys I lost to (Nogueira and Couture) that were all great fights the first time."

This statement confused me a bit. He lost to all 3 of them, not just 2. Also, the only reason the Randy fight was great was because an old man roughed Tim up for 25 minutes...it was not great in the sense that it was competitive. So, I'm not sure why anyone would want to see a second fight.
scoozna
9/2/09 2:10:09PM

Posted by grappler0000

Also, the only reason the Randy fight was great was because an old man roughed Tim up for 25 minutes..

...so true, and let us not forget how un-inspiring his fights were prior to the losing streak that led to his exit. I don't see Dana bringing him back, I think he's a liability.
roger
9/2/09 2:27:58PM
hopfully his ground game has gotten alot better. or he will be gone in no time
mrsmiley
9/2/09 2:32:19PM
I give Sylvia credit for being a UFC champion,but I never was a fan of his.
The guy has got skills,but after his last fight i'm starting to really think those skills are on a decline.Anyone you fight is going to have a punchers chance of finishing you,but a huge loss like that puts you back a few notches regardless of who you are
He's lost 4 out of his last 5 fights,and on the exception of the fight with Nog he was compleltly out of the game in those 4 bouts.
Hell even in the fight with Minotauro,Nog was pretty much just taking shots waiting for his opening. Pretty much what we would expect of Nog.

I'm not against Syliva coming back,but he's not ready.
He's going to have to win a few fights and do it in convincing fashion before they'll even consider brining big timmy back.
Rush
9/2/09 2:34:21PM

Posted by grappler0000

This statement confused me a bit. He lost to all 3 of them, not just 2. Also, the only reason the Randy fight was great was because an old man roughed Tim up for 25 minutes...it was not great in the sense that it was competitive. So, I'm not sure why anyone would want to see a second fight.

He must not consider his loss to Mir a loss (remember he did feel the stoppage was premature/unwarranted)
xburbx
9/2/09 2:36:15PM
ha. DANA DONT TAKE HIM. They did take Baroni so who knows
Bowen50
9/2/09 2:47:34PM
The HW division has changed a lot since he left. with all the guys that have been signed and some that have emerged as up and comers there aren't many fights in the UFC Sylvia can win in my opinion. Todd Duffee looks like a promising prospect. Dos Santos has emerged as a threat. Cro Cop has been resigned, we'll see how he does against Dos Santos. Signings of Rothwell and Russow have added more depth. the new season of TUF is going to add some decent talent. Then you have guys like Gonzaga, Kongo, Hardonk, and Herring who are close to the top, about gatekeeper status. Now there's the top of the heap with Lesnar, Nog, Mir, Carwin, Velasquez, and Couture. i'm almost positive Dana isn't going to sign him but that would be one hell of a mountain to climb for Sylvia right now.
Hendo67
9/2/09 3:01:12PM
LOL!, i guess he brings Popularity... but that's about it.
Giant_Ochai
9/2/09 3:05:58PM
I think he deserves another shot in the UFC. They can put him in with tough guys and make him earn it.
finnish_line
9/2/09 3:12:11PM

Dana, think of it like the Holocaust: Never Again!
grappler0000
9/2/09 3:23:35PM

Posted by Hendo67

LOL!, i guess he brings Popularity... but that's about it.

Well, popularity probably isn't the best word to use...a known fighter would probably be a better way to describe him. And keeping a known fighter from signing with Strikeforce is the only reason I could see this happening...but with his recent losses, I'm sure the UFC would feel they'd lose credibility by signing him at the moment. I know Tim said that he wanted to retire in the UFC, but he's got some proving to do before that happens.
GSPCanada
9/2/09 3:23:59PM
someone explain to me why we are all ok with guys like mark coleman and chuck liddell returning to the ufc but the consensus is that tim cant just walk back into the ufc?
grappler0000
9/2/09 3:42:34PM

Posted by GSPCanada

someone explain to me why we are all ok with guys like mark coleman and chuck liddell returning to the ufc but the consensus is that tim cant just walk back into the ufc?

To be honest, I'm not sure that Coleman earned his spot. I think it's possibly the UFC trying to take care of a HOF'er...especially after the obvious pity bonus he got for FOTN against Shogun. As far as Chuck goes, if he wasn't (1) the biggest name in MMA (2) putting it all on the line every fight and (3) only losing to top competition, then I could see cutting him too...but just like Wandy, they'll both have a place in the UFC until they retire. Also, Tim just lost to an out of shape 50 year old boxer, who was fighting MMA for his 2nd time ever...and lost in 9 seconds to top it off. It'll be a while before people forget about that one.
emfleek
9/2/09 3:47:03PM

Posted by grappler0000

Also, Tim just lost to an out of shape 50 year old boxer, who was fighting MMA for his 2nd time ever...and lost in 9 seconds to top it off. It'll be a while before people forget about that one.

Not to mention the fact that Tim came in to that fight weighing over 300 lbs, which could indicate that he's not taking his health or the sport seriously.
tallica62
9/2/09 3:50:15PM
"There'd be some great fights if I was back in the UFC. Me against Frank (Mir), me against (Antonio Rodrigo) Nogueira, me against Randy (Couture). Those three right there. The two guys I lost to (Nogueira and Couture) that were all great fights the first time."

notice how he didnt say Brock...the #1 HW right now...

Sylvias days are over...although as some people mentioned, you never know with the UFC....like baroni, coleman.... whos next, dan severn?
Twenty20Dollars
9/2/09 4:22:22PM
Tell Timmy to go crap his pants elsewhere.
motorboatensob
9/2/09 4:38:42PM

Posted by GSPCanada

Because Chuck lost to the number 1,3,and 5 ranked LHW in the world and Tim lost to a 48 year old man nuff said.
PABLOMAFIOSO
9/2/09 5:30:51PM
Sylvia is a dreamer!
The heavyweight division was getting criticism when he was the champ. The reason Randy made a comeback was to prove he could own that division. He is not getting a shot in the UFC again.
If Timmy came back to the UFC try to name someone currently in the division who wouldn't wipe the floor with him.......GO!
StorminYourman
9/2/09 6:28:54PM
Big Tim will need some impressive wins to get back in the UFC.His recent wins have been quite lacklaster.He fought an exciting fight against Big Nog but he lost. Come to think of it his recent losses have been quite exciting however that will not get back in the UFC.Anyhow the guy brought it upon himself really fighting not to lose instead of trying to finish.
Sinister
9/2/09 7:03:06PM
If he could beat Mcully or Struve, I dont see why they wouldnt keep him at the lower end of the division. He has to win a few fights though, hes a mess right now courtesy of Fedor
StorminYourman
9/2/09 7:26:17PM

Posted by Sinister

If he could beat Mcully or Struve, I dont see why they wouldnt keep him at the lower end of the division. He has to win a few fights though, hes a mess right now courtesy of Fedor

Ireally do not see Mcully staying in the UFC HW division for too long.
prozacnation1978
9/2/09 7:27:04PM
u shouldn't have left timmy!!!
now u gotta beg to get your job back!!!
AchillesHeel
9/2/09 7:48:04PM

Posted by Sinister

If he could beat Mcully or Struve, I dont see why they wouldnt keep him at the lower end of the division.

Because he's boring to watch.

Actually, that's not entirely true. I've enjoyed watching all of his recent losses.
Sir_Karl
9/2/09 9:35:49PM
I think Tim's UFC days are long past. In his defense though...Fedor, Couture and Big Nog are 3 of the very best ever...worse things can happen than losing to them. As far as his fight with Mercer...Tim got his lights turned out. Mercer is a former Heavy weight boxing champion. His boxing skills are far better than any heavyweight in MMA.
Tim's only shot against Mercer would have been to take him to the ground...Mercer didn't give him that opportunity. I don't think Sylvia would fare to good against any HW in the UFC at this point. In the past...not only was Tim in better shape and a much better fighter...the level of competition was much lower.
To be honest I think Tim's luck has run out...I could be wrong though.
Rush
9/2/09 9:51:20PM
I'll put a little more objectivity in this thread.

Reasons why Tim should not be given a shot in the UFC at this time

1) He is not exciting to watch
2) His record is 1-4 in his last 5 fights. Mind you, 3 of his losses were to top competitors. In all fairness, I am not going to crucify him too much for the Mercer loss. It was a mistake on his part, and I don't take it as a sure thing that he is now a can.
3) Tim is injury prone.
4) He doesn't have a likable personality.
5) He has shown no signs of evolution in his skill at all.
6) Failed drug test and stripped of title
7) once he started facing stronger opponents, his finishing ability evaporated.

Reasons why he should be given a second chance
1) He was a former champion

Like most of these fighters, if he can string together some convincing wins against known fighters, then I'm ok with him getting a second chance, but as of now, there is no way. That being said, even if he gets another chance he will not be able to hang with the UFC HW division now.
MMA-San
9/2/09 10:00:25PM
Give him Cheick Kongo...if he wins then he can stay...if he doesn't...then we know he's gone forever.
Pages: [1] 2