UFC Heavyweight Champion Junior dos Santos Eyeing Olympic Boxing Run

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC Heavyweight Champion Junior dos Santos Eyeing Olympic Boxing Run
FastKnockout
11/22/11 1:31:01PM
Junior dos Santos has had a pretty impressive run int he UFC. It kicked off with him getting a shocking knockout win over heavy favorite Fabricio Werdum in 2008 which his most recent fight being a heavyweight title win on the UFC's debut on FOX.

If his amazing rise through the UFC ranks wasn't enough, now it appears the champ is interested on setting his sights on a new challenge down the road. Via UOL Esportes (translation via Tom Mendes).

First, Junior speaks:

"The more goals you reach, the bigger your dreams become. I'd like very much to test myself in boxing. In the gym I train boxing a lot and I see it as a sport that brings something different. You have to be more loose and faster. If the opportunity arises, I'd like to try it, but first I have to defend this (UFC) belt"

Then his coach:

To have Junior fighting at the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro (in 2016) would be a dream, but today his priority is MMA. If one day he has the opportunity he could try to fight for the title.

LINK
prophecy033
11/22/11 2:27:27PM
I don't see zuffa letting this happen. And even if they did, his boxing isn't on the level of pro boxers. It's good for mma but simply not complete enough for the Olympics at this point. Just my opinion
bojangalz
11/22/11 2:29:41PM
Someone's looking for a bit of that "Anderson Silva money".
FastKnockout
11/22/11 2:57:40PM
Junior doesn't plan on making the switch anytime soon, 2016 at the earliest, and he's just tossing the idea around.
Theoutlaw08
11/22/11 3:03:13PM
I think he is just marketing for more money from the UFC. I don't think he would really leave. He has the tools to control the HW division for sometime. Why would he want to leave that. Im thinking scare tactic.
airkerma
11/22/11 3:21:53PM

Posted by prophecy033

I don't see zuffa letting this happen. And even if they did, his boxing isn't on the level of pro boxers. It's good for mma but simply not complete enough for the Olympics at this point. Just my opinion

A very valid opinion at that. As for the money thing, don't mma fighters usually get more money with each win? GSPs stock is through the roof right now because he keeps winning. Wouldn't that be the same for JDS if he went on an 8 title defense winning streak?
FlashyG
11/22/11 3:31:10PM
You're not paid for winning in the UFC, you're paid for selling seats and PPV buys.

Winning just happens to be one of the easier ways to get them. The guys that win but don't sell PPV's like Fitch make less than guys like Tito who lose but do sell PPV's,

I would guess that Brock Lesnar is probably still the highest paid in the whole sport.
40ouncetpkid
11/22/11 4:06:47PM
TERRIBLE IDEA. The man has the best hands at heavyweight but olympic point boxing is possibly the worst thing for dos santos. In a real boxing fight he stands a better chance with his power. Olympics is all about points and with how low he keeps his hands hed get beat pretty easily imo. Tho still one of the best boxers in mma. Its just dos santos is a point kinda guy like gsp ir dominick cruz.
FastKnockout
11/22/11 4:15:46PM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

I think he is just marketing for more money from the UFC. I don't think he would really leave. He has the tools to control the HW division for sometime. Why would he want to leave that. Im thinking scare tactic.

I don't think it's marketing. He's just giving his opinion on what he'd like to do in his future.

"To have Junior fighting at the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro (in 2016) would be a dream, but today his priority is MMA."

By 2016 the HW division could have a new champion. He's not threatening to vacate his title for boxing like Diaz did.
Wallass
11/22/11 4:19:46PM
Honestly, anytime I hear something JDS says I like this guy more and more. Dude's a stud and one of the better guys in MMA to look up to. He's Fedor 2.0!
ghandikush
11/22/11 8:15:59PM
He could easily be at a high enough level as any of the other heavyweight boxers out there in amateur. He would need to be able to knock them out though.

When you think about it he has two things going for him that are important, a pretty good jab, and more full contact experience than anyone else fighting amateur.
tcunningham
11/23/11 4:13:06PM
he shouldnt get to confident until he's established himself as the true champ. for all we know lesnar could take him out or overeem could out strike him. i dont think either will do that but hes no anderson silva, he still has alot to prove