Heaviest Hands

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Heaviest Hands
Next Page »
suckafoo
3/11/09 10:18:17PM
Speaking strictly UFC here but who are your 10 ten KO artists? I am speaking over the history of the UFC not just now.
Jackelope
3/11/09 11:01:22PM
Without putting much thought into it, here are my initial top 10

1. Carwin- so far he's proved if he touches your chin you're going down. Without even twisting his hips. That's intense power

2. Crocop- even though he didn't do it in the UFC he will always be one of the most devastating strikers ever. Honestly, if this guy touches you with that LHK it is lights out.

3. Chuck Liddell

4. Anderson Silva

5. Tim Sylvia- People will doubt this, but all you have to do is look at his history. The guy has a huge amount of KO's (24 wins, 16 by TKO/KO) and he was one of the first guys, alongside Arlovski to KO Cabbage

6. Wanderlei Silva

7. Andrei Arlovski

8. Vitor Belfort

9. Luis Cane (9 wins, 8 by TKO)

I can't decide on the last one, but some names that come to mind are Drew McFedries, Patrick Cote, Chris Leben, Dan Henderson, Tank Abbott (in the early days) All of these guys have one punch KO power
grappler0000
3/11/09 11:14:01PM
I'm patiently awaiting the Andy Wang jokes.

Jackelope actually has a pretty decent list there...I would probably move Vitor up a spot or two, but it's otherwise agreeable.
prozacnation1978
3/11/09 11:15:15PM
now i would say lidell, rampage, carwin,
guillard, cote, to name some names off top of my head

arlovski, lawler, tank abbott, belfort, rizzo,

i would have to think about it
Tein_Lung
3/11/09 11:36:44PM
Bas Rutten... its rare you see a body KO or TKO but if you watch his fights he seem to do it on a regular basis... i would not want to get kicked by that guy...

granted he did not do it in the UFC but he is a former UFC heavyweight champ
cloud301336
3/11/09 11:59:48PM
There's a fine line between hitting hard and having heavy hands
Kracker_Jap
3/12/09 12:10:52AM

Posted by cloud301336

wanna try to explain it??
RandyCouture
3/12/09 12:24:16AM
Any body can hit hard, i see heavy hands being there is just so much power in your hand it will hurt regardless of how hard you hit somebody.

For example Carnwins XXXXXXXXl glove his jab is prob as powerful as lets say nate diazs hardiest hit.

Thats how I see hitting hard and heavy hands agree disagree???
chickmagnet
3/12/09 12:25:00AM
If we are speaking strictly UFC here they are:

1. Chuck Liddell - Knockouts over Couture(twice), Babalu(twice), Ortiz(twice), and Randleman.

2. Pedro Rizzo - Knockouts over Arlovski, Barnett, Severn, TK, Tank Abbott, and Telligman.
3. Anderson Silva - Knockouts over Marquardt, Franklin(twice), Leben, Irvin.
4. Tim Sylvia - Knockouts over Arlovski, Rodriguez, Cabbage, Telligman.
5. Andrei Arlovski - Knockouts over Cruz, Buentello, Eilers, Cabbage, Matyushenko, Freeman.
6. Quinton Jackson - Knockouts over Liddell, Wanderlei, Eastman.
7. Tank Abbott - (had some insane KO's) Knockouts over Matua, Varelans, Nelmark.
8. Vitor Belfort - Knockouts over Ferrozzo, Abbott, Eastman, Wanderlei.
9. BJ Penn - Knocouts over Caol Uno, Sean Sherk, Din Thomas.
10. Thiago Alves - Knockouts over Parisyan, Hughes, DeSouza, Chalangnov
Aether
3/12/09 12:27:44AM
not really... "Heavy hands" is just an expression used to describe someone who hits hard. One is an expression and the other is just a normal description but they both mean the same thing.
Jackelope
3/12/09 12:30:40AM

Posted by Jackelope

Without putting much thought into it, here are my initial top 10

1. Carwin- so far he's proved if he touches your chin you're going down. Without even twisting his hips. That's intense power

2. Crocop- even though he didn't do it in the UFC he will always be one of the most devastating strikers ever. Honestly, if this guy touches you with that LHK it is lights out.

3. Chuck Liddell

4. Anderson Silva

5. Tim Sylvia- People will doubt this, but all you have to do is look at his history. The guy has a huge amount of KO's (24 wins, 16 by TKO/KO) and he was one of the first guys, alongside Arlovski to KO Cabbage

6. Wanderlei Silva

7. Andrei Arlovski

8. Vitor Belfort

9. Luis Cane (9 wins, 8 by TKO)

I can't decide on the last one, but some names that come to mind are Drew McFedries, Patrick Cote, Chris Leben, Dan Henderson, Tank Abbott (in the early days) All of these guys have one punch KO power

How could I have forgotten Rampage? He's definitely among the top heavy handed guys
chickmagnet
3/12/09 2:07:24AM

Posted by RandyCouture

Any body can hit hard, i see heavy hands being there is just so much power in your hand it will hurt regardless of how hard you hit somebody.

For example Carnwins XXXXXXXXl glove his jab is prob as powerful as lets say nate diazs hardiest hit.

Thats how I see hitting hard and heavy hands agree disagree???

Harder than Diaz's best hit, more like Carwins jab is like Anthony Johnsons straight right.....
Playground_Samurai
3/12/09 2:14:06AM
10 names off the top of my head

Liddell
Rizzo
Tank
Rampage
Hendo
Dos Santos
Vitor
AA
Carwin
GG
hippysmacker
3/12/09 4:58:34AM
Rizzo , Tank , and Chuck would top my list too.
State_Champ
3/12/09 7:45:16AM
Anderson Silva

Rampage

Chuck

Houston Alexander

Tank

Carwin

Lesnar

Rashad Evans

Cane

NatedawgThaM
3/12/09 8:54:05AM
Rampage
Liddell
Tank
Melvin Guillard
Houston Alexander
Andre Arlovski
Anderson Silva
Hendo throws a mean right hand
Marcus Davis
Drew McFederies

As you can see I didn't pick the most successful people but these people leave a trail of some of the brutalest KO's and can drop you with just one punch. Melvin I believe is the hardest puncher at 155, Rampage & Liddell top 205, and Hendo and Silva top 185. Tank you know throws some meanm bombs.
Nitrus
3/12/09 10:09:43AM
1- Melvin Manhoef (This guy knock Mark Hunt down, wtf...)
2- Chuck Liddell
3- Carwin
4- Wanderlei Silva
5- Rampage
6- Cro Cop (in his prime)
7- BJ ( considering his weight)
8- Melvin Guillard
9- Dos Santos
10- Houston ( until he get subbed)
Jackelope
3/12/09 10:37:00AM

Posted by Nitrus

UFC only
pv3Hpv3p
3/12/09 10:48:44AM
Liddell

Rizzo

Tank

Guillard

Davis

Alves

A.Silva

Wanderlei

Franca

Rampage

Carwin or Brock... Could be on the ilist too... Not because of an excessive amount of KO's but just because their hands seem to be the definition of heavy

I
Hendo67
3/12/09 5:51:21PM
Rampage
Rashad
Lesnar
Carwin
Liddell
Wanderlei
Alexander
Alves
Hendo
Guillard
chickmagnet
3/12/09 6:10:26PM

Posted by Nitrus

He knocked Hunt OUT....
cloud301336
3/12/09 6:24:14PM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Posted by cloud301336

wanna try to explain it??

Melvin Guillard throws BOMBS, I mean he throws everything into it when he swings. Shane Carwin got some heavy f**king hands just a straight right (without twisting) can put you on you @ss, ask Gonzaga. That's the difference kids.
The_Ho_Bag
3/12/09 6:56:46PM
Carwin- i swear every time i see him fight and cracks someone i feel it through my TV

CC-Headkicks and his punches

MM-like nitrous said

Anderson silva-Destroyed leben in 0:49,KOed the sandman and picked apart Franklin and practically everyone else int he MWD

Chuck liddell-at one point no in LHW Division could touch him because he would knock out eveyone

rampage- he has that super hook that drops anyone

wandy-the axe murderer says it all

lesnar-one punch broke herring orbital

Frankllin- the guy was dominate in the MW and he knocked out/tko 7/11

marcus davis- =)

bls1919
3/12/09 8:03:30PM
My top 10 KO artits are. in no order

Chuck Liddell
Andre Arlovski
Shane carwin
Luis Cane
Anderson Silva
Tank
Cro Cop
Wanderlei
Hate to say it but Rashad Evans
Lyoto Machida....wait for it...wait for it!!!!
scobac
3/15/09 10:00:29PM
one punch ko power, not tko!

brad kohler ko of Steve Judson
tank ko of John Matua
jens pulver ko of john lewis
franklins ko of Nate Quarry
Melvin Guillard ko of Rick Davis
New York bad ass ko of scott jansen
Rashad ko of Chuck
rampage ko of wandy
many more, just a few examples of what I consider the definition of "heavy hands"
mrkennedy
3/15/09 10:24:41PM

Posted by chickmagnet

If we are speaking strictly UFC here they are:

1. Chuck Liddell - Knockouts over Couture(twice), Babalu(twice), Ortiz(twice), and Randleman.

2. Pedro Rizzo - Knockouts over Arlovski, Barnett, Severn, TK, Tank Abbott, and Telligman.
3. Anderson Silva - Knockouts over Marquardt, Franklin(twice), Leben, Irvin.
4. Tim Sylvia - Knockouts over Arlovski, Rodriguez, Cabbage, Telligman.
5. Andrei Arlovski - Knockouts over Cruz, Buentello, Eilers, Cabbage, Matyushenko, Freeman.
6. Quinton Jackson - Knockouts over Liddell, Wanderlei, Eastman.
7. Tank Abbott - (had some insane KO's) Knockouts over Matua, Varelans, Nelmark.
8. Vitor Belfort - Knockouts over Ferrozzo, Abbott, Eastman, Wanderlei.
9. BJ Penn - Knocouts over Caol Uno, Sean Sherk, Din Thomas.
10. Thiago Alves - Knockouts over Parisyan, Hughes, DeSouza, Chalangnov

im disagree with bj benn but the rest of the list is good
bjj1605
3/16/09 2:21:06AM
1 Tank Abbot
2 Chuck Liddell
3 Pedro Rizzo
4 Rampage
5 Shane Carwin
6 Anderson Silva
7 Houston Alexander
8 Tim Silvia
9 Arlovski
10 Wandy
AchillesHeel
3/16/09 11:16:24AM

Posted by Jackelope

I agree with most of your list, but I have to point out that Sylvia lost a great deal of KO power when he stopped taking steroids. Before testing positive, Sylvia was 16-0 with 12 wins by (T)KO. Since then, he's 8-5 with 4 wins by (T)KO. Even accounting for his greatly increased level of competition, I don't consider Sylvia a top striker, and I take his roid-infused KOs with a massive grain of salt. Personally, I believe it has more to do with his aggressiveness than power, per se, but a knockout is about more than just being big and strong. A while back, I got into a virtual tussle with someone when I declared that Chuck Liddell hits harder than Brad Imes. If his corner men could jab Sylvia with a cattle-prod and convince him that his opponent had slept with his wife, he might be one of the most dangerous fighters in the world. But they can't, so he ain't.
Svartorm
3/17/09 3:14:29AM
Guys, this Carwin "hits without twisting" thing is driving me crazy. Its not the act of twisting the hips that puts power into a strike. Its just the way you set your hips to impact. If you twist your hips and line yourself up for a strike, it hits exactly as hard as if you already had your hips in line and threw the strike. The only exceptions to this are a few front hand strikes that you almost never see in MMA. Petrizelli KOing Kimbo Slice with the push kick/jab combo is about the only mainstream example I can think of.

As for the list, in no paticular order:

Tank Abbot: Hit John Matua so hard, he had a full blown seizure and lost most of his front teeth. Also nearly killed Steven Nelmark with one punch behind the ear.

Don Frye: Hit Tom Rameirez so hard, he pissed himself.

Brock Lesnar: Broke Heath Herrings face with a sloppy punch and KO'd Randy with the same. If he were to train strictly stand-up like Koscheck is doing and not bother with ground, he'd literally end careers with his punching power.

James Irvin: Has KO'd or rocked almost everyone hes fought, and often within the first few seconds of the fight.

Patrick Cote: His hooking punches hit harder than anything I've ever seen. His KO over Kendall Grove came in at about the worst angle possible and still hit him so hard he left the mat.

Houston Alexander: His knee strikes hit harder than most heavyweights, and his hands, while not refined in the least, are brutally powerful.

Non-UFC props go to:

Igor Vovchynchn: This guy put more pain on human beings than anyone I've seen in MMA. The first time I saw him was in an IFC event in Kiev, and he hit Paul Varlenes so hard with his overhand right, you can hear his cheekbone break......over the microphone on the commentary table about 30 feet away.

Branko Cikatic: A kickboxer who fought in Pride and, if memory serves correct, has a world record in kickboxing for "Most KO's with a jab". He knocked Ernesto Hoost out cold on two occasions (once with a jab), and Bas Rutten said the guys hits harder than anyone hes ever met. His combined pro and amatuer kickboxing record is something like 260-20 with 190 KOs.
AchillesHeel
3/17/09 9:57:40AM

Posted by Svartorm

Its not the act of twisting the hips that puts power into a strike. Its just the way you set your hips to impact. If you twist your hips and line yourself up for a strike, it hits exactly as hard as if you already had your hips in line and threw the strike.

I'm not sure I get this. I'm pretty sure this isn't true in baseball, for example. The total power generated when the bat hits the ball comes from striding into the pitch and twisting your body (which is why hitters with a violent swing tend to incur lower-back injuries rather than arm injuries, for instance). It isn't that the position you achieve from the stride and the twist is better for hitting, it's that the energy generated by the motion is significant.

I don't know why the physics or kinesiology would be different for boxing than for baseball, but I've never studied boxing. Posture, both before and after the swing, would obviously be different. You don't have to worry about defending yourself in baseball; if standing on your head and wearing a blindfold made you a better hitter, there'd be no reason not to do it.

Here's David Ortiz:

And here's Brock Lesnar (sorry Heath, not trying to rub it in ):

Pages: [1] 2