HEATH HERRING DISCUSSES KONGO, FUTURE

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » HEATH HERRING DISCUSSES KONGO, FUTURE
SmileR
3/5/08 10:00:30PM
Even Herring, with nearly 60 professional fights, was surprised at the game plan of Kongo, who seemed to be primed for a striking war.

“It actually took me towards the end of the first round to even figure out what was happening at that time,” said Herring in an interview with MMAWeekly Radio. “I had trained pretty much exclusively for a stand-up fight and we were in the middle of a wrestling match. It was pretty shocking.”

Kongo’s strategy made Herring dig deep to find new ways to win the fight and he complimented the game plan, but says that his own power at the beginning of the first round may have played into the ground attack also.

“I think maybe a lot of it had to do to with the fact that we landed that straight right early on and it might have just kind of taken the wind out of him,” he stated.

In both the second and third rounds, Herring was able to take side control on Kongo and began reigning down knee strikes to the body, but the Texas native admitted after the fight that he wished he had a different set of rules while working in that position.

“The crowd seemed to get really, really excited when I would raise that one knee above his head, and I was kind of playing to the crowd a little bit on that,” he admitted. “I’m really missing those Pride rules. It would have been awesome to finish that fight in the second round with knees to the head.”

Link
Darnok
3/5/08 10:10:22PM
Good Interview.

It was funny how he mentions that he would bring the knee up to and hear the crowds reaction and that he missed Pride rule of knees to the head.

I truthfuly think that he did knee to the head. I even rewatched it and the first time he was in half gaurd he switched knees and actually hit Kongo in the head. i was even screaming at the tv, but for somew reason the ref couldn't hear me.
bullettdodger
3/5/08 11:03:08PM

Posted by Darnok

Good Interview.

It was funny how he mentions that he would bring the knee up to and hear the crowds reaction and that he missed Pride rule of knees to the head.

I truthfuly think that he did knee to the head. I even rewatched it and the first time he was in half gaurd he switched knees and actually hit Kongo in the head. i was even screaming at the tv, but for somew reason the ref couldn't hear me.

Could that knee be the one to the neck, or perhaps the top of the middle of the back, because i thought i saw his getting pretty close a couple of times, but Kongo rolled his head out of the way each time, so i think thats what the ref may have been thinking..
Darnok
3/6/08 11:03:01AM

Posted by bullettdodger

Posted by Darnok

Good Interview.

Could that knee be the one to the neck, or perhaps the top of the middle of the back, because i thought i saw his getting pretty close a couple of times, but Kongo rolled his head out of the way each time, so i think thats what the ref may have been thinking..

It was definately tough to see but I truly think it hit hie ear. Not his neck
wrona666
3/6/08 3:42:26PM
Yet another boring fight from the Lazy Horse.....
pgally2000
3/6/08 5:45:59PM
If knees to the head were allowed, Kongo would have ended it in the first round, so Herring should be thanking his lucky stars that there isn't.