Healthy eating

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Healthy eating
Aaronno9
10/19/09 4:39:08PM
Ok, so im joining the army after Christmas, so ive really kicked up my training to get myself into shape before I start phase one training. The problem is, im working my ass off, then coming home and eating like, burgers and fries and other junk like that. I cant cook well, and im completely uninventive in the kitchen. Ive tried looking around the internet and all I ever seem to come up with is chicken and rice, or cans of tuna in terms of healthy eating.

So im woundering if anybody can point me in the direction of a good site to give me more options, or if any of you are handy in the kitchen reccomend me your own things I should be eating to aid my quest to get fit.

Props for anybody who can help a brother out.
emfleek
10/19/09 4:58:58PM
Yogurt
Granola

Also...

Take boneless/skinless chicken breast...and dip it in a beaten egg and then roll it in french fried onions. Baked for 20 minutes @ 375. F'ing easy and tasty.
george112
10/19/09 7:54:35PM
salads are good.well depending on if you like them or not. throw some ham in there and your set.

also good ol fashion sandwiches arent bad.peice of salami, ham, turkey breast etc...slice of cheese a little mustard and some wheat bread..sounds good to me
Shawn91111
10/19/09 8:19:19PM

Posted by george112

salads are good.well depending on if you like them or not. throw some ham in there and your set.

also good ol fashion sandwiches arent bad.peice of salami, ham, turkey breast etc...slice of cheese a little mustard and some wheat bread..sounds good to me

Deli meat is loaded with sodium and isnt healthy as one might think
Shawn91111
10/19/09 8:23:03PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Ok, so im joining the army after Christmas, so ive really kicked up my training to get myself into shape before I start phase one training. The problem is, im working my ass off, then coming home and eating like, burgers and fries and other junk like that. I cant cook well, and im completely uninventive in the kitchen. Ive tried looking around the internet and all I ever seem to come up with is chicken and rice, or cans of tuna in terms of healthy eating.

So im woundering if anybody can point me in the direction of a good site to give me more options, or if any of you are handy in the kitchen reccomend me your own things I should be eating to aid my quest to get fit.

Props for anybody who can help a brother out.

A good site I always use is allrecipes.com. A ton of people sumbit recipes and then people give ratings and their healthy twist on how to make the meal more for their needs, plus dont worry about getting out the calculator to scale down the portions, there is one on the site that adjust each recipe as needed.

You dont need to be a whiz in the kitchen to follow a recipe, with cooking as opposed to baking you can stray a bit in terms of measurement and throwing things in to give it a different flavor.
Aaronno9
10/19/09 8:27:22PM
Cool, ill check out that site
bojangalz
10/19/09 9:11:20PM
First and foremost major props for taking the initiative to step into service.

My hat is truely off to you, and any other man or woman to decides to rick themselves in the honor of defending our freedom and creating freedom for others. Truely noble act and I applaud you.

With that said here's what I've found that works for me. Keep in mind that I'm no nutrition expert. This is the diet routine that I've been using in conjunction with a high protein diet and weight lifting workout while I've been trying to add a few pounds.

I've found the glorious wonder that is protein shakes. I never ate fruits at all (texture thing I guess). But I can throw them in the magic bullet with some Whey protein, ice, water (or milk) and your good to go. If you want to stay full for a while try adding oatmeal to the mix. I've gotta admit, I need to choke it down from time to time but it keeps me full for a few hours without a problem.

I like a rasberry/blueberry/strawberry mix most of the time.

But pineapple/kiwi/mango is quite tasety as well.

And when I'm in a hurry it's bananna and peanut butter. Though really you can add bannana to just about anything.

I usually make enough to fill the tall cup in my magic bullet and it keeps me going for quite a while. I've also started eating meal replacement bars as snacks in between meals. I especially like the Special K peanut butter and chocolate bars and the chocolate chip Clif bars. Though be forwarned they do pack some additional sodium. And drink the hell outta your water too. Too much is never enough- it'll help satisfy hunger in between meals. If your not a straight water guy try adding some flavored stuff (crystal lite works wonders). I generally drink between 2-3 liters of water during an 8 hour shift at work. I usually take one liter bottles and mix a packet of pink lemonade crystal light with either a pink lemonade Special K protein water mix or pink lemonade lipton green tea packet.

george112
10/19/09 9:12:23PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by george112

as long as you dont eat the whole package or anything.it falls way short of the % daily value.
Shawn91111
10/19/09 10:19:24PM

Posted by george112

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by george112

as long as you dont eat the whole package or anything.it falls way short of the % daily value.

Salami is very high in sodium as I said, those specks of white in the Salami arent man juices, its fat.
george112
10/19/09 10:28:33PM

Posted by george112

also good ol fashion sandwiches arent bad.peice of salami, ham, turkey breast etc. ..slice of cheese a little mustard and some wheat bread..sounds good to me

i wasnt only referencing salami...

i seem to have failed at providing adequate advice.disregard my post
IriShame
10/19/09 10:39:08PM
Tuna, man. Eat that **** up.
sbulldavid
10/19/09 10:55:01PM
Drink plenty of low or non calorie fluids , lots of green vegetables, usually white meat such as chicken, fish, and turkey are a good start. Eat more meals with smaller rations. Avoid frying foods and skip the dessert. Hope I've been help.
Ordep
10/20/09 12:22:50AM
I went from 245 to 185in about 9 months without doing major changes in diet, just:

drink a lot of water

avoid fried stuff at all cost (this was the only major change I did)

less fat as possible in breakfast (I mostly do cereal or shakes with Fat Free milk)

beef jerky are great snacks!

Coke Zero taste 90% the same as regular coke

ONCE a week I'll eat like a pig (a whole pizza, a bunch of wings or visit any Asian buffet) this one was kind of weird since it looked like wasting all week effort but at the end results showed anyway. Maybe is just like remaining your body to keep the metabolism ready for those events or so. Also, it was like a reward and a psychological relief, I gotta have my pizza or wings.

I'm not expert in Nutrition or anything, and probably this is not the best(or healthier) way to get in shape or something. I'm just throwing out there what worked for me. Those are just the diet changes, I also started doing some cardio and light weights workouts.

Things that are SIMPLE to prepare that could help you:

1) Homemade mashed potatoes.
-avoid the butter in these ones, just peel and boild the potatoes, then mash the f* out of 'em. Combine with Fleek's breasts (talking about the recipe he recommended earlier here) and you have a complete plate.
doh!

2) Pasta salad
-cooked pasta, boiled vegetables, add tuna (or cooked chicken), add mayo (light or fat free to help the cause) and mix. Do a lot one day and store it in the fridge.

3) Chicken in vinegar
- seasoned chicken breasts, and cook them in a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar (just enough to cover the chicken) add a bunch of onions on top of it (eventually it'll get soft). This recipe is actually better with beef steak, but chicken is the healthy version.

4) Shrimp!
- onions,green pepper, shrimps, a pan and heat. nuff said. shrimp actually take very little time to cook so cook the onions first.

5) Soups!
- go to the latino section in the supermarket, get powdered chicken bouillon. That + water... then add whatever you want. I usually add noodles and vegetables(tons of carrots and onions). Yes, it's like DIY ramen noodles, but it taste better.

Shawn91111
10/20/09 1:43:25AM

Posted by Ordep

I went from 245 to 185in about 9 months without doing major changes in diet, just:

drink a lot of water

avoid fried stuff at all cost (this was the only major change I did)

less fat as possible in breakfast (I mostly do cereal or shakes with Fat Free milk)

beef jerky are great snacks!

Coke Zero taste 90% the same as regular coke

ONCE a week I'll eat like a pig (a whole pizza, a bunch of wings or visit any Asian buffet) this one was kind of weird since it looked like wasting all week effort but at the end results showed anyway. Maybe is just like remaining your body to keep the metabolism ready for those events or so. Also, it was like a reward and a psychological relief, I gotta have my pizza or wings.

I'm not expert in Nutrition or anything, and probably this is not the best(or healthier) way to get in shape or something. I'm just throwing out there what worked for me. Those are just the diet changes, I also started doing some cardio and light weights workouts.

Things that are SIMPLE to prepare that could help you:

1) Homemade mashed potatoes.
-avoid the butter in these ones, just peel and boild the potatoes, then mash the f* out of 'em. Combine with Fleek's breasts (talking about the recipe he recommended earlier here) and you have a complete plate.
doh!

2) Pasta salad
-cooked pasta, boiled vegetables, add tuna (or cooked chicken), add mayo (light or fat free to help the cause) and mix. Do a lot one day and store it in the fridge.

3) Chicken in vinegar
- seasoned chicken breasts, and cook them in a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar (just enough to cover the chicken) add a bunch of onions on top of it (eventually it'll get soft). This recipe is actually better with beef steak, but chicken is the healthy version.

4) Shrimp!
- onions,green pepper, shrimps, a pan and heat. nuff said. shrimp actually take very little time to cook so cook the onions first.

5) Soups!
- go to the latino section in the supermarket, get powdered chicken bouillon. That + water... then add whatever you want. I usually add noodles and vegetables(tons of carrots and onions). Yes, it's like DIY ramen noodles, but it taste better.

One thing with Fleeks recipe is the french fried onions. Sub Panko, better and healthier.

With your soup, dont do the powdered boullion, its very very high in sodium. Get low sodium chicken broth, or get chicken bones and make your own.
jae_1833
10/20/09 1:58:30AM
I hate to say it but I dont eat for flavor anymore....I just dont have the patience for it. Hard boiled egg whites, non flavored oatmeal, tons of fruit, salad....dry!, more water than is neccesary because it also makes me feel full, tuna with mustard and hot sauce, chxn breast. It sucks but in 6 weeks I have lost 15 lbs of straight up gut eating this crap and exercising twice a day.
Shawn91111
10/20/09 2:19:18AM

Posted by jae_1833

I hate to say it but I dont eat for flavor anymore....I just dont have the patience for it. Hard boiled egg whites, non flavored oatmeal, tons of fruit, salad....dry!, more water than is neccesary because it also makes me feel full, tuna with mustard and hot sauce, chxn breast. It sucks but in 6 weeks I have lost 15 lbs of straight up gut eating this crap and exercising twice a day.

Why? Not some things, I eat salad dry as well. I went to culinary school, so I know what flavors work well, so for me its just adding things. But man plain oatmeal?
postman
10/20/09 7:55:39AM
I January I was 192 I am now down to 155. I eat oatmeal in the am Drink alot of Water and sugar free red bull ( I know not the best for ya) lunches are light like a turkey sanwich or tuna on crackers. Diner fish Chicken breast salad some brown rice things like that. But my secret 5 calorie Jello and 35 caliorie Twin pops I eat them in the evening and keeps me from snacking. I also eat lots of nuts which seems to clean some of the junk out of you that has be chillin for a while. This has worked for me might not be the best advice but I lost the weight and feel good. I also train 4-5 times a week for 2 to 3 hrs a session.
gartface
10/20/09 10:42:49AM
I went from 215 to 165-170 in a year or so. The only changes I made to my diet were not going out to eat as much, cutting out most fried foods, and drinking water as the main fluid in my diet.

We also got a clam-shell fat draining grill(similar to the Foreman, but better) and that's gotten a lot of fat out of my diet. It's gotten to the point that if I eat any kind of bar food or fried food from a restaurant my stomach is in knots.

One thing I can't stress enough is replacing most alcohol/sodas/kool-aids/energy drinks in your diet with water. Your body will love you for it.
Aaronno9
10/20/09 10:48:32AM
Thanks for all the advice guys. It seems drinking lots of water might be an area where im slipping up. At the beginning of September I weighed almost 200 pounds, now im down to below 180. Im pretty much looking to sustain my weight though, I need to keep my stregnth up. Im going to start making soups, fruit smoothies and water a more prominent part of my diet and see how that works out with all the white meat.

One of my main problems is im so picky when it comes to food. I dont like any vegtables and most past sauces ect. Im still just going to force them down anyways though.
postman
10/20/09 4:10:24PM
I think the Veggie thing will pass once you eat them a while and learn to prepare them the ways oyu like them after awhile they arn't bad. Kinda like beer no one likes the taste the first time but it grows on ya. So replace beer with veggies! Try dipping them in hummas I do that alot.
emfleek
10/20/09 4:14:41PM

Posted by postman

Kinda like beer no one likes the taste the first time but it grows on ya

Blasphemy! I fell in love with beer at the tender age of 8. To this day, I remember getting my dad a beer just so I could open it for him and sip off the top before giving it to him.

Ahhh, memories...
CwB
10/20/09 6:36:16PM
Unable to Prop but thank you for starting this thread.

Just an idea but maybe we can make a Pinned thread with all of our own recipes, maybe one healthy and another just straight favorites.

I have always known to avoid high sodium diets, but can someone explain to me what are the harms of high sodium.

My favorite meal to eat when trying to cut fat and increase protein, people have already mentioned it but.

Sandwich-extra meat, low fat cheese(or none at all), NO mayo, and try to add veggies like cucumber, beats, or any veggie is better than no veggie
Soup- i am not much of a chef so i just get canned soup (that is full of chicken and veggies)
Protein Shake- doesnt have to be a full size shake, use half of the protein powder and milk

for me gaining weight is harder then losing it. (im still young so i know this wont last) so the meal above always had me forcing down the last quarter of the meal. so adjust the proportions to fit goals.

But canned soup (and maybe all soup, I dont know) are high in sodium.

Some tips when dieting for whatever reason

-STOP eating foods for the taste, EAT for the nutrition

-Everything you eat, read the nutritional guide, make sure its high in protein compared to fat/carbs(when eating grains it will always be low in protein) and the calories are lower

-Do Not cut fat completely from diets, try to eat fats that are either Monounsaturated or Polyunsaturated, avoid high saturated and trans fat

-When you do cook something, cook it in large proportions and store leftovers. Its easy to turn to unhealthy foods when you are feeling lazy and there is nothing quick to eat

-No fast food, nothing good comes from eating it.

-No Soda, or cut your soda intake back as far as you possibly can (Back in High School science class, three girls did an experiment where they cut soda from there diet. Within 6 months 2 of them lost around 5-7 pounds and the other lost 2 pounds(but she was twig to begin with) by only cutting soda from there diet
Shawn91111
10/20/09 6:57:29PM

Posted by CwB

Unable to Prop but thank you for starting this thread.

Just an idea but maybe we can make a Pinned thread with all of our own recipes, maybe one healthy and another just straight favorites.

I have always known to avoid high sodium diets, but can someone explain to me what are the harms of high sodium.

My favorite meal to eat when trying to cut fat and increase protein, people have already mentioned it but.

Sandwich-extra meat, low fat cheese(or none at all), NO mayo, and try to add veggies like cucumber, beats, or any veggie is better than no veggie
Soup- i am not much of a chef so i just get canned soup (that is full of chicken and veggies)
Protein Shake- doesnt have to be a full size shake, use half of the protein powder and milk

for me gaining weight is harder then losing it. (im still young so i know this wont last) so the meal above always had me forcing down the last quarter of the meal. so adjust the proportions to fit goals.

But canned soup (and maybe all soup, I dont know) are high in sodium.

Some tips when dieting for whatever reason

-STOP eating foods for the taste, EAT for the nutrition

-Everything you eat, read the nutritional guide, make sure its high in protein compared to fat/carbs(when eating grains it will always be low in protein) and the calories are lower

-Do Not cut fat completely from diets, try to eat fats that are either Monounsaturated or Polyunsaturated, avoid high saturated and trans fat

-When you do cook something, cook it in large proportions and store leftovers. Its easy to turn to unhealthy foods when you are feeling lazy and there is nothing quick to eat

-No fast food, nothing good comes from eating it.

-No Soda, or cut your soda intake back as far as you possibly can (Back in High School science class, three girls did an experiment where they cut soda from there diet. Within 6 months 2 of them lost around 5-7 pounds and the other lost 2 pounds(but she was twig to begin with) by only cutting soda from there diet

Good post, you're correct a lot of canned soup is very high in sodium. But I want to stress how pretty simple it is to make your own soup. I cant recall the last time I opened a can of soup rather than just make my own. Yes its obviously faster to open a can,heat it and you're done. But with a bit of a plan, an ingredient list you can make your own quickly, plus it freezes well.
CwB
10/20/09 8:07:42PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by CwB

Unable...

Good post, you're correct a lot of canned soup is very high in sodium. But I want to stress how pretty simple it is to make your own soup. I cant recall the last time I opened a can of soup rather than just make my own. Yes its obviously faster to open a can,heat it and you're done. But with a bit of a plan, an ingredient list you can make your own quickly, plus it freezes well.

I need to do this for sure...

another recipe i liked was

chicken melt sandwich-chicken can be so dry and bland. this solves it
Canned chicken (like tuna) sounds nasty but is pretty good
Low fat Cheese
and Bread is all you need
just throw the chicken in a pan and spread cheese sparingly over meat.
heat till it melts and mix it all together throw it on bread.
DONE, so simple its almost obvious
Toast the bread if you like
I hate tuna so this is my answer to it, but the same recipe can be used for tuna

I am a lazy chef most of the time so quick easy meals are the key for me when dieting

Also if you plan on getting in shape or just want to be healthier...

Take MULTI-VITAMINS daily... This is something that is often overlooked (especially in young guys like me)
Rush
10/20/09 9:09:11PM
Living a healthy lifestyle cannot be done overnight. Take it one step at a time, otherwise it can be very overwhelming. Here is where I would start

1) Cut out fast food 100%. It may seem hard for a the first bit because of the cravings, but if you stop for a couple months, the cravings go away. I have not eaten fast food for a long time (over 5 years) and only the first month or so did I ever get cravings.

2) If you drink a lot of beer, cut back. What I do is if I feel like a beer with my dinner or afterwards, I split it with my wife. A small glass is just enough to quench my craving and doesn' t do that much damage in terms of calories or alcohol

3) IMO, avoid the mundane boiled chicken and steamed veggies. You start to bang your head off the wall and before long you'll relapse. To get around this, learn about spices (other than salt), garlic, onions, etc. and how they can make your food taste great without the health dangers.

4) A never fail recipe to get a well balanced meal

Whole wheat or flax pasta
Either use a olive oil base or blend up some fresh tomatoes - add fresh basil and garlic (oregano, chillies, etc. if you want). I buy actual garlic and grind up a bunch and store it in jars in the freezer.
In the oil fry up some meat of your choice. Chicken thighs, breast, beef, sausage, whatever you want. Stick to one kind of meat though.
When the meat is lightly cooked
Then throw in some veggies. I usually like to add celery, boiled brussel sprouts and spinach.
When the veggies are done, throw in the strained noodles and mix well.

To give you an idea, a half box of healthy harvest noodles, the equivalent of 3 sausages, a bunch of spinach, 10 brussel sprouts and 4 celery stalks will give you about enough for 4 good size portions that are decent when heated up the next day or two.

Another note, if you have a food processor or magic bullet, grind up a little carrot if you make a tomato based sauce. Believe it or not, the carrots actually sweeten the sauce. Swiss chard will also do it too.
Aaronno9
10/22/09 4:11:59PM
Well, ive finished my first entirely healthy week. I just had fish, boiled potatos and peas tonight, while everybody else got an Indian takeaway. Douche bags!

Ive been mainly just eating fish, chicken, rice, pasta and potatos, and drinking water with the odd glass of sugar free juice every now and then. Its boring, but I can deal, and ive noticed a differance in my running already.