Heading into Strikeforce Fight with Fedor, Dan Henderson Doesn’t Feel Outmatched or Small

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Heading into Strikeforce Fight with Fedor, Dan Henderson Doesn’t Feel Outmatched or Small
pmoney
7/25/11 10:04:20AM
Current Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Dan Henderson (27-8) heads into one of the biggest fights of his career when he meets former Pride heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko (31-3) at Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson.

The former Olympian has spent much of his career between fighting at middleweight and light heavyweight, and has won the Pride welterweight (185-pound limit) and the Pride middleweight (205-pound limit) titles.

Article
prophecy033
7/25/11 12:48:53PM
I agree, Fedor isn't just another name. He was the dominate heavyweight on the planet for a reason. 2 straight loses don't diminish that in my eyes. How many elite fighters fell twice in a row?
KungFuMaster
7/25/11 2:34:59PM
Fedor will not have much of a weight advantage over Henderson. I see this fight being cloesly matched.

Henderson has limited stand up arsenals but his biggest advantage in the stand up is his stand up guard. His face is very well protected as long as he stays technical. Fedor, on the other hand, is more of a brawler and would be willing to stand and trade.

In the grappling department, I do not see Fedor purposely shooting in for take downs. That is not part of his game or nature to do so. I do expect Fedor to try and take it to the ground while he is in the clinch, however, Henderson is excellent in the clinch and I doubt Fedor can take Henderson down from that position.

Although both fighters are excellent wrestlers, I think Henderson will have the advantage because of his Greco-Roman wrestling in which its elements stem directly from the clinch.

IMO, Hernderson is the better wrestler. He may not be the better striker but he protects himself better than Fedor in the stand up and I believe this fight will boil down to who first lands a hard shot. Furthermore, I believe this fight will stay on the feet for the majority of the bout. But if it was to go to the ground, it will probably be Henderson doing the take down.

love Fedor but I will be betting on Dan Henderson on this fight.
Pookie
7/25/11 2:43:26PM
Henderson is a top level greco guy, Fedor is the top level sambo guy. Both are clinch arts.

I feel Fedor can absolutely take Hendo down from the clinch. Lower base, wider hips. It may not be as fantastic as his Lindland takedown(greco guy too), but i feel he is quite capable of it. Just as Hendo is too.
prophecy033
7/25/11 4:31:46PM

Posted by Pookie

Henderson is a top level greco guy, Fedor is the top level sambo guy. Both are clinch arts.

I feel Fedor can absolutely take Hendo down from the clinch. Lower base, wider hips. It may not be as fantastic as his Lindland takedown(greco guy too), but i feel he is quite capable of it. Just as Hendo is too.

KungFuMaster
7/25/11 5:51:30PM
I can agree Fedor could possibly take Henderson down but Fedor is not a strategist. He is a true warrior who will gladly go where ever the fight goes which IMO will allow Henderson to dictate the fight and where the fight takes place.
machodog76
7/25/11 6:27:35PM

Posted by Pookie

Good call. Do you think Fedor's Sambo is, "olympic" level like hendo's wrestling is?
mrsmiley
7/25/11 9:10:12PM
I honestly wonder if this fight is going to the ground. I could actually see a three round stand up war.
Bubbles
7/25/11 10:43:52PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Pookie

Bubbles
7/25/11 10:46:11PM

Posted by machodog76

Posted by Pookie

Good call. Do you think Fedor's Sambo is, "olympic" level like hendo's wrestling is?

he has won many national sambo tournaments, so yes i would assume Russia would gladly send him to the Olympics...if sambo was an Olympic competition
Cooler
7/25/11 10:52:18PM
This fight favors Fedor. The stylistic match of well rounded grappler/striker versus a greco wrestler with hooks; with all due respect to hendo. There's no doubt Fedor will have a 20lb+ weight advantage. Fedor's grappling is also not to be underestimated. I see Fedor getting this to the ground eventually from a punch or takedown and getting some kind of submission.
machodog76
7/26/11 1:27:30PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by machodog76

Posted by Pookie

he has won many national sambo tournaments, so yes i would assume Russia would gladly send him to the Olympics...if sambo was an Olympic competition

I know it’s not an Olympic sport, I guess what I was getting at is does a sport that is contested on a national level (Sambo) produce the same level of athlete as a sport that is contested on an international level (wrestling)? I would argue no, but maybe I’m comparing apples and oranges.