I hate my "smart phone"

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » I hate my "smart phone"
POLL: How do you feel about smart phones?
Awesome! I don't need a brain anymore!! 14% (4)
I love the government being able to monitor my thoughts, words and movement! 14% (4)
Eh, they are good for emergencies. 4% (1)
I am neutral like the Swiss 18% (5)
My wife left me for someone she met on "Words with Friends" 7% (2)
Don King 43% (12)
pmoney
7/31/12 7:12:07PM
I've been getting a lot of notices from the National Weather Service today on my smart phone. Yeah, you know that annoying Emergency Broadcast System tone that interrupts your regularly scheduled TV broadcasts? Same fucking thing, but its coming out of my phone! I didn't download an app for this BS...

The most amazing thing is all these notices are for flash flood warnings. We have gotten maybe a 1/64th of an inch of rain today, which is about our max for the year.
Shawn91111
7/31/12 7:17:19PM
Never had a smart phone and dont need one. Im paid to be on the computer so never really need the internet. Have an Ipod so apps and such I have on that.
pmoney
7/31/12 7:25:10PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Never had a smart phone and dont need one. Im paid to be on the computer so never really need the internet. Have an Ipod so apps and such I have on that.

Yeah I don't know why I got a smart phone... I rarely talk to anyone, I have a computer and an iPod..... lol. I guess I just got it so I can be on the PG at the supermarket
tcunningham
7/31/12 7:54:34PM
i dont have a smart phone. i refuse to give the crooks that own the cell phone companies any more money than i already have to. data plans are for smart phones is robbery IMO
Shawn91111
7/31/12 7:56:30PM

Posted by tcunningham

i dont have a smart phone. i refuse to give the crooks that own the cell phone companies any more money than i already have to. data plans are for smart phones is robbery IMO

This also
prophecy033
7/31/12 8:03:51PM

Posted by tcunningham

I have Sprint and pay $60 for unlimited everything
DancingDoll
7/31/12 8:26:47PM
I have a smart phone... but I want an even better smart phone.

Yeah, I know... but I need to be connected at all times.
SpiderSilva
7/31/12 8:55:57PM
I have a galaxy S2

I used to get those probs and i switched to the go launcher app and use the go weather app it updates on its own and none of the issues
kopower
7/31/12 9:36:45PM
I wish I could get by with a regular cell phone. I have a HTC Rezound with Verizon. For my phone, and wife's regular cell phone, we pay around $135 a month. It's ridiculous, but I need me some playground at all times of the day. Now my wife wants a smart phone, so our bill is gonna go up another $30.

It's crazy to think, but our phone bill, combined with internet and cable, runs about $300 a month
prophecy033
7/31/12 9:46:22PM

Posted by kopower

I wish I could get by with a regular cell phone. I have a HTC Rezound with Verizon. For my phone, and wife's regular cell phone, we pay around $135 a month. It's ridiculous, but I need me some playground at all times of the day. Now my wife wants a smart phone, so our bill is gonna go up another $30.

It's crazy to think, but our phone bill, combined with internet and cable, runs about $300 a month

Can either of you get a discount through your work? My mom is a Manager through Arco and I joined her plan and saved 25%. Went from $80+ to just over $60
Shawn91111
7/31/12 9:49:32PM

Posted by kopower

My wife and I have reg cell phones and at&t rapes you. The bills usually around $105-110.

Cut the cable to basic as all we do is watch Netflix anyhow so that was a big savings.
george112
7/31/12 10:17:15PM
My EVO finally broke yesterday . Which is heartbreaking. Everything I do on the Internet was off of that phone . It even outlasted my laptop.

But tomorrow I get my upgrade . HTC EVO 4G LTE

I'm on my gas iPhone right now
warglory
7/31/12 10:38:22PM
Yeah I don't really get it completely either. It's the convenience of having a computer in your pocket that sells me and others I guess. I just got an LG Lucid for free by re-upping with Verizon for another two years, which forced me to upgrade to 4G from my grandfathered unlimited 3g plan. Whatever, I got the lowest end as I am not really a media whore, so it should be fine. The cost is about the same high price as it was before, but at least it's 4g, so I'll actually be getting more bang for my buck with my current usage.

Having a dual core processor, 1 gig of ram, and 5 gigs of on board storage is pretty insane, and the fact it acts as your camcorder, camera and all in one media entertainment hub, amongst other things makes it var more versatile than any other kind of phone. I can totally understand not having one, but for those folks who use many of the functions on a smart phone, it's worth it.
kopower
7/31/12 11:07:17PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by kopower

Can either of you get a discount through your work? My mom is a Manager through Arco and I joined her plan and saved 25%. Went from $80+ to just over $60

I should say the phone bill is with a 20% discount through work, and still that high.

I would love to cut the cable shawn, but the wife said no. I really dont watch that much tv either. We could save so much money, but she wants to watch what she wants, whenever she wants. Oh well, you win some, you lose some.
george112
7/31/12 11:17:17PM

Posted by kopower

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by kopower

I should say the phone bill is with a 20% discount through work, and still that high.

I would love to cut the cable shawn, but the wife said no. I really dont watch that much tv either. We could save so much money, but she wants to watch what she wants, whenever she wants. Oh well, you win some, you lose some.

I got a 20% discount on my phone bill when I worked at home depot. Changed jobs and I still am getting the discount
Bubbles
7/31/12 11:23:16PM
I have a phone that is capable of data plans but I only use it for talk and text. $25/month with Bell

It would be higher but I'm part of some family deal that also has Bell internet and satellite and homephone so there is some bundle discount or savings or whatnot. Prob be $40/month or so on my own
papercut
7/31/12 11:27:36PM
I've got a love/hate relationship with my smart phone. I've had the samsung mesmerize since feb 2011 and love all the different things it can do with the apps, facebook twitter mmajunkie etc. but with the amount of times it freezes throughout the day coupled with the lock key doubling as a screencap button it can easily piss me off. should've never jumped off the blackberry bandwagon.
7/31/12 11:37:27PM
I was gonna make a comment about being able stream HD pr0n while i wait in line at the supermarket but then i remembered a post from some reddit guy that more than sums up how i feel about the subject.

Michael_Corleone
7/31/12 11:46:33PM
I have the most expensive smart phone with the most expensive plan my carrier has. I didn't care for it at first but after awhile I gotta admit this shit is pretty useful. Touch-screen can still suck my dick!
Pookie
8/1/12 3:50:28AM
$9.99 Metro Pcs gets me unlimited texting, and i can recieve phone calls. I routinely text someone to say "Call me."
Adrenaline
8/1/12 5:03:24AM
I miss the good old days when you could charge your phone once and it would last half a week. Fuck me do I get tired of plugging in my "smart phone" every three hours. And lets not even talk about what happens when you drop one of these expensive bastards. I recently dropped mine because I left it on my lap and got out of my car. Mind you it fell a whole 3 feet and when I picked it up, the screen was 6 different colors and that little asshole android logo stared back at me with a look that could be summed up as "fuck you buddy". I used to have phones that were held together by duct tape and prayers that had been washed in the washing machine, thrown in drunken rages, dropped from ladders etc. that just kept going and going. Not these days. I swear smart phones are programmed with a self destruct feature that is activated when you treat it with anything less than tender loving care.

kopower
8/1/12 7:40:57AM

I got a 20% discount on my phone bill when I worked at home depot. Changed jobs and I still am getting the discount

Same here
airkerma
8/1/12 9:45:16AM
I like them for dealing with emails, but mostly just playing dopey little games. I don't need to be connected to the webs all the time, but if I'm standing in line behind old people at a bank, I had damn well better have video games on hand...or at the bar when nothing is happening...or during a tv movie that is slow...or at the grocery store when I'm deciding on steak...or at the airport...or when I'm driving and don't want to look at the road...I love video games
Theoutlaw08
8/1/12 10:30:54AM
I have mixed emotions about the smart phone. I like it because its easy to use, and there are a lot of different options with it (as well as looking at the internet while taking a shit at work). But at times because of all the shit on it, it can be super slow. And it is clunky in my front pocket.
Svartorm
8/1/12 1:18:04PM

Posted by kopower

Mine is $440. Living in the boonies isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Svartorm
8/1/12 1:20:36PM
I like my smart phone, but due to having thumbs the size and shape of tennis rackets, I can't operate a touch screen phone. So, it's Blackberry Bold or nothing.
kopower
8/1/12 1:37:40PM

Posted by Svartorm

I like my smart phone, but due to having thumbs the size and shape of tennis rackets, I can't operate a touch screen phone. So, it's Blackberry Bold or nothing.

Just curious. What Bold do you have? My wife wants to get a blackberry for the physical keyboard. She doesn't like touchscreen phones. I had an old Curve with the trackball back in the day, and really liked it.

We are looking at the Bold 9930 which does have a touchscreen and physical keyboard or Curve 9370.
Svartorm
8/1/12 2:28:59PM
I have the older bold without a touch screen. The new Bold is much larger with a touch screen, so she might want to grab a curve. I can't use a curve either because of the afforementioned gorilla hands.
scoozna
8/1/12 2:38:23PM
I have a BB Curve with the trackpad thingy. It's 3G so I'm not about to use the web. I have girlie fingers, so I don't have Svar's problem.

It's pretty much a dinosaur at this point, and I get picked on for having it. Poor me.

But my company pays for it, so there. It's good for email, Twitter, Texas Hold'em and Blackjack.

But like that pic above says - it blows my mind that i have a computer, a phone, GPS, maps, and calendar, and dozens of pictures on me at all times.
pmoney
8/1/12 3:20:49PM

Posted by Svartorm

I have the older bold without a touch screen. The new Bold is much larger with a touch screen, so she might want to grab a curve. I can't use a curve either because of the afforementioned gorilla hands.

I have the same problem with these damn touch screens. I feel like Homer in the episode where he gets fat to go on disability.

"The fingers you have used to dial are too fat. To obtain a special dialing wand, please mash the keypad... now"