I hate it when people say they are going to do something...

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » I hate it when people say they are going to do something...
warglory
11/9/12 7:28:19PM
...and then don't follow through. I am a supervisor at my job, and invited my team out for a team building thing at a local pub. Now I am not naive, I know that some people don't like to mix work and play, and that is fine, but I had several people enthusiastically say they were down for going out, up to today when the event was being held. So I left a little early, waited about an hour and a half, and only ONE person showed up, out of like 6 people. I have to admit, as petty as it is, I was pissed. I took a few hours out of my Friday night to organize an event for people of my team (no one else in my branch does this btw), to kind of blow off some steam. Had there not been any interest, I wouldn't have bothered moving forward, but people clearly showed interest, and told me they were coming. The result was no texts from most of the folks. I was pissed, and will not hold any kind of sympathy when I hear bitching about management not putting forth any initiative to interact with people.

This happens outside of work too. Some people just don't have the decency to tell you when they are not going to show. I don't know, this is a big pet peeve of mine, just had to vent!
Bubbles
11/9/12 7:54:05PM
rule #1: make a facebook event. People check their account hourly (if not more) and will constantly be reminded of it

I know the feeling though. Labour day weekend I was in Ottawa with the family. I have some friends up there that I haven't seen in over a year and I made plans for every night to hang out with someone. Friday night I was supposed to see an old housemate of mine; I lived with her for 2 years and hung out on a fairly regular basis for another 2 years afterwards. I talked with her the night before and everything was a go. I went to dinner with my parents and brother and was supposed to meet her afterwards. I text her towards the end of dinner to find a time to meet and I don't get a response (she's usually good with returning texts fairly quickly). After a few calls, texts and voicemails I gave up and spent the night with my family. Sat night after a round of golf with my dad and his friend, I was supposed to meet an old baseball teammate of mine (played with or against him for 4-5 years). When I finished the round I sent him a text telling him I'll be ready in an hour and a half to meet up (course was 45 min away from my hotel). He responds saying everything is still a go. I shower, eat and call him....no answer. After an hour of no response from texts and calls, I again gave up and spent another night with the family.

To this day I have yet to hear from either of them (but I know everything is ok with them via facebook...there's that thing again ) saying sorry or at the very least making up some BS excuse. It's one thing to flake every now and then, but (like you warglory) when these plans are being discussed all week and they just flat out bail with no warning, that's just disrespectful
jae_1833
11/9/12 10:39:34PM
Fire one of them.....that will teach them to skip out on time off for beer!
warglory
11/10/12 5:12:47PM

Posted by Bubbles

rule #1: make a facebook event. People check their account hourly (if not more) and will constantly be reminded of it

I know the feeling though. Labour day weekend I was in Ottawa with the family. I have some friends up there that I haven't seen in over a year and I made plans for every night to hang out with someone. Friday night I was supposed to see an old housemate of mine; I lived with her for 2 years and hung out on a fairly regular basis for another 2 years afterwards. I talked with her the night before and everything was a go. I went to dinner with my parents and brother and was supposed to meet her afterwards. I text her towards the end of dinner to find a time to meet and I don't get a response (she's usually good with returning texts fairly quickly). After a few calls, texts and voicemails I gave up and spent the night with my family. Sat night after a round of golf with my dad and his friend, I was supposed to meet an old baseball teammate of mine (played with or against him for 4-5 years). When I finished the round I sent him a text telling him I'll be ready in an hour and a half to meet up (course was 45 min away from my hotel). He responds saying everything is still a go. I shower, eat and call him....no answer. After an hour of no response from texts and calls, I again gave up and spent another night with the family.

To this day I have yet to hear from either of them (but I know everything is ok with them via facebook...there's that thing again ) saying sorry or at the very least making up some BS excuse. It's one thing to flake every now and then, but (like you warglory) when these plans are being discussed all week and they just flat out bail with no warning, that's just disrespectful

Exactly! That totally sucks man. Yours were friends, which is far worse. I felt disrespected, but these folks are just workmates, so it wasn't as bad. I just can't wrap my mind around people's mentalities sometimes.
prozacnation1978
11/11/12 10:14:15AM
That happens a lot
Had that happen a few times last month for Halloween parties.

People flake out. Girls and guys. I just fucking love it when someone bails out.

My rule on ppv fights is if you bail a few times in a year
You don't get invited back