WHY DO YOU HATE MATT HUGHES!?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » WHY DO YOU HATE MATT HUGHES!?
Next Page »
JOSHisSTYLE
6/27/08 2:40:41PM
Everyone seems like they hate matt hughes more and more. WhATS GOING ON!
SmileR
6/27/08 2:41:56PM
I don't!
emfleek
6/27/08 2:50:12PM

Posted by SmileR

I don't!

I don't, either.

A lot of people seem to hate him because he's a supposed "Bible Thumper" that "pushes his religion" on to other people. All of this is based on the episode of TUF when he gave his guys the opportunity (didn't force them) to read a passage from the Bible.
zephead
6/27/08 2:54:42PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by SmileR

I don't!

I don't, either.

A lot of people seem to hate him because he's a supposed "Bible Thumper" that "pushes his religion" on to other people. All of this is based on the episode of TUF when he gave his guys the opportunity (didn't force them) to read a passage from the Bible.

His arrogance.
Mchubb316
6/27/08 3:08:42PM
People don't like Matt because he comes across cocky, and arrogant. He might be. He might not. I think that he is the type of guy where he is a true competitor, and hates to lose(not loose.lol). He is very confident in his ability, and that translates to some people as being cocky, and or arrogant.
stock
6/27/08 3:13:34PM

Posted by zephead

Posted by emfleek

Posted by SmileR

I don't!

I don't, either.

His arrogance.

The problem I have with that statement is that 90% of fighters are arrogant, yet it seems to be the cool thing to hate Matt Hughes.
zephead
6/27/08 3:15:11PM

Posted by stock

Posted by zephead

Posted by emfleek

Posted by SmileR

I don't!

I don't, either.

His arrogance.

The problem I have with that statement is that 90% of fighters are arrogant, yet it seems to be the cool thing to hate Matt Hughes.

I here ya there. But it's the smirk that Matt gives as he's talking. The calling of GSP a frenchy. Matt just rubs me the wrong way.
billycarnage
6/27/08 3:18:06PM
He is the most dominant champion in UFC history so he takes himself pretty seriously. I still like him but I never loved him. He deserves the proper respect. I just want to see him beat Matt Serra then retire.
Aaronno9
6/27/08 3:22:50PM
Hes not a very good person. I mean, this guy who claims to be holier than thou is the same guy who used to beat his dad. If you can read his biography, and still think hes a good person then something isnt right.
MMAcca
6/27/08 3:31:06PM
I don't hate him, i don't like him too much either though......

I respect him as a future Hall Of Famer for what he has done in this sport.
billycarnage
6/27/08 3:37:26PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Hes not a very good person. I mean, this guy who claims to be holier than thou is the same guy who used to beat his dad. If you can read his biography, and still think hes a good person then something isnt right.

Maybe his dad deserved it. His brother seems pretty loyal to him.
Leland
6/27/08 3:48:40PM
Cant stand the guy. his attitude is just too much for me. Its not really the arrogance, since most fighters are, but something about Matt, hes just.... annoying. Very annoying
casey64
6/27/08 3:48:43PM
I dont
loonytnt
6/27/08 3:51:22PM
i like matt but i think he needs to give it up
mrsmiley
6/27/08 3:54:14PM
Watch his pre-fight interview for his 1st fight with BJ Penn.I haven't cared too much for him since.

I don't hate the guy.He's a good fighter and as a fan I can respect that.Personaly though,he's not a favorite.
puppetmaster837
6/27/08 4:06:00PM
I respect what he has done for the sport but as a person i do not like him at all. He not only comes off as arrogant for fighting, but it seems like he thinks he is a superior person to everyone else. In his book when he was talking about him making Tim Sylvia cry was just lame, maybe that made him feel like a big man since he realized Sylvia could have beat the shit out of him at any moment.

I dont think i have ever really heard something positive that he has done outside the ring.
SpiderSilva
6/27/08 4:18:07PM
UFC made him into a dick starting with TUF you know they edited the show that way
emfleek
6/27/08 4:21:02PM

Posted by Aaronno9

You make it sound like it was an every day thing. He beat his dad up ONCE* because his dad was an asshole to the ENTIRE family, including his mom.

* ...unless I missed something or am forgetting something.
Cdellorso
6/27/08 5:53:43PM
Hughes was made look that way on TUF --- true however he is a bible thumper- not my cup of tea- yet pushing drugs - pushing politics- forcing any opinion is bad however.... there are worse things in life to fel strongly about than god right?? He was greta champ- he was young and made some mistakes - now hes old and making different mistakes- (like fighting Thiago Alves) (overweight EHPMPHH Steroids Emhmph...) just kidding on the roids but WOW he is huge at 170

anyway I dont dislike Matt- but I dont like him on the same level that I like gsp or BJ
joshryanshepherd
6/27/08 6:08:59PM
i think Hughes is still a threat in the welter weights...and i dont hate him either, nor is he one of my favorites.
jimmypockets
6/27/08 7:14:40PM
I don't like him because he always has seemed to talk down to people. Unfortunately I think he just has a strong personality. He seems to be somewhat of a "know it all" or someone who feels he is always right even if he is wrong. I mean Matt Hughes WAS a dominant beast for a while, noone can argue with that. I would vote for him to be in the UFC Hall Of Fame but I wouldn't want to sit next to him on a plane.......................or stumble into his church.
Ordep
6/27/08 8:56:04PM
most of the times when I see people "hating" him, are just die-hard GSP fans that get pissed when he is recognized as the best WW Champ ever in the UFC and talk about his belt defenses, and of course since GSP is still at 0 that hit the switch.
DevonFoxy
6/27/08 9:17:44PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Aaronno9

You make it sound like it was an every day thing. He beat his dad up ONCE* because his dad was an asshole to the ENTIRE family, including his mom.

* ...unless I missed something or am forgetting something.

Yea its not like the guy came home and beat on his dad for fun everyday after school. You make him sound like one of those husbands who beat their wives. And when did he say he was holier than anyone?Ha I mean yes Matt is cocky you can say but again emfleek has it right I feel as i know pretty much any wrestler I know in Florida that has won state or placed think she can win a wrestling match against anyone. It not so much disrespect to the other wrestler or in this case fighter as it is confidence in your ability.

Another thing with Hughes is when he is beaten he says who the better man is and gives that fighter credit which is more than some fighters can say. Personally I think he can come off with a different kind of sense of humor but its no worse than a Karo or any other fighter but Hughes is just portrayed as the villain. Just my opinion.

EDIT: Would prop emfleek but I fear i must spread the love.
Aaronno9
6/27/08 9:28:50PM
Nobody comes out and says it, its in his attitude. How can you say he doesnt think that? He clearly has a superiority complex. Also, in the book, yeah his dad was an ass, but what he did wasnt even something id want to kick the shit out of anybody for, nevermind my father. And its not even just that, its like every chapter he says something which makes me dislike him even more, and the worst thing is, he doesnt even regret anything he does.
DevonFoxy
6/27/08 9:38:40PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Nobody comes out and says it, its in his attitude. How can you say he doesnt think that? He clearly has a superiority complex. Also, in the book, yeah his dad was an ass, but what he did wasnt even something id want to kick the shit out of anybody for, nevermind my father. And its not even just that, its like every chapter he says something which makes me dislike him even more, and the worst thing is, he doesnt even regret anything he does.

Yea i know where your comeing from dude I mean I honestly see where people can think he's a complete egomaniac. I mean take the comment he made to Thiago about how to defend a triangle at his seminar when Thiago got choked out by spencer fisher but I really just think its less than he thinks hes better than everyone and thats just his sense of humor he's just trying to make you laugh but sometimes things are off limits to joke about and I don't think he thinks they are and they are just funny.

Not trying to attack you man your entitled to your own opinion.
Agree to disagree.
89vision
6/27/08 10:01:30PM

Posted by Aaronno9

and according to his book he would butcher baby pigs and throw their entrails at people as a joke

ha ha matt your hilarious
SpiderSilva
6/27/08 11:25:44PM
<--- beat up his dad in the 12th grade for trying to put his hands around my neck
Buddharox
6/28/08 1:37:35AM
I don't hate him. He's accomplished a lot in the sport, and deserves respect for that.

But I certainly don't like him as a person or a fighter. He seems like a dick, and his book just enforces that view of him. I'm not a fan of his fighting style, but he does have a few exciting fights.
voodoo-jitsu
6/28/08 2:47:46AM

Posted by zephead

Posted by emfleek

Posted by SmileR

I don't!

I don't, either.

His arrogance.

he can be a bible thumper that i could careless about but his arrogance is out of control the more i see him the more i cant stand him
RSH
6/28/08 3:40:29AM
Matt Hughes is one of my favorite fighters, but I think he should retire after fighting Serra, if he does. Just like he said, he doesn't wanna be on someones fighting clips forever.
Pages: [1] 2