Why all the hate for Chuck

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Why all the hate for Chuck
motorboatensob
1/8/09 4:14:43PM
I have just always wounded why a lot of people can't stand him and dislike him so much. He has done so much for the sport as far as being one of the big time faces to get it where it is. He is not cocky like Tito has always been sure he wants to fight everyone but isn't that a good thing. He puts on a great show with HL almost every fight. He isn't a trash talker like Rampage or Rashad so I was just wondering why all the hate?
cowcatcher
1/8/09 4:20:14PM
people tend to love or hate the guy on top without any in between and that was chuck for a long time. plus now that mma is so big and so many people have come up watching TUF everyone is an expert and the keyboard warriors love to call guys out for not expanding their games, which chuck clearly hasnt to this point.
Franklinfan47
1/8/09 4:25:23PM
I don't see much hate for him online personally, but it may be because he is not as dominant as he used to be in the sport so maybe some feel he is now overated? Also, to say he is not cocky is not true in my opinion. He talks crap in all his fights dude.

I personally like to watch him fight and respect what he's done for the sport
F-Man
1/8/09 4:37:45PM
the "i got caught" excuse that he uses so much doesnt help, heh.
mrsmiley
1/8/09 4:38:09PM
I don't think it's as much people hate Chuck.
I think it has more to do with him getting too much love amongst the casual fans.And that has a habit of getting on the nerves of hardcore fans.
their was nothing more frustrating for me than when the popularity of the UFC boomed,because suddenly everyone who watched season 1 of TUF thought Chuck was the best fighter in the world and couldn't be toppled.
Most people were unaware he was even defeated by Rampage in PRIDE,and i'm still floored that people called his 2nd lost to Quinton an upset.

Personaly,I would never sell Chuck short or even call him overrated.Maybe a tad bit overloved at times,but I guess that comes with the terroritory.
Chuck was at one point at the top of the foodchain commercialy,but I honestly think Dana White and company tended to oversell Chuck a bit,and area's were they maybe tried and help him they ended up hurting him.
Chuck was and still is a great figher,but their's a lot of good and bad that comes with being the poster boy for an MMA organization.
zephead
1/8/09 5:13:39PM

Posted by F-Man

Well, when you get KTFO, technically, you did get caught
telnights
1/8/09 5:54:34PM

Posted by zephead

Posted by F-Man

What do you really expect him to say. He hit me really hard and I went to sleep. It all = I got caught.
gsquat
1/8/09 6:03:00PM
I don't hate Chuck at all. There are few fighters I would want to watch fight more. In fact, because of his style, I give him a great chance at beating guys like Silva and Machida. Just not some of the other top guys in the LHW division. He's just slumping big time.
F-Man
1/8/09 6:17:49PM

Posted by zephead

Posted by F-Man

yeah but he makes it sound like it happened for no reason. it happened because chuck hangs his left hand down by his waist. i have no problem with chuck, but that comment seems to bother a lot of people. he defintiely isnt a favorite of mine, but i dont have too much against him really.
motorboatensob
1/8/09 6:22:18PM
I just wanted to hear some other opinions people used to say hes not a great fighter but then they would turn around a praise Wandy and call Randy the god of mma and we all know he beat them both. I just never understood the whole he isn't any good thing. I don't like Rashad not because he bet Chuck but because he is so cocky but I will always give him his credit he it a damn good fighter.
Jackelope
1/8/09 6:36:37PM
A better question would be "Where is all the hate for Chuck?" Because I haven't seen any. At least not on this site. I duno, maybe I'm missing something. Could you provide links or anything?
cmill21
1/8/09 6:38:18PM
I just never thought he was that great, he was a guy with heavy hands and good TD D, so that made wrestlers easy pickins and thats pretty much what he faced during his hay day.
EvenFlow
1/8/09 7:20:43PM
As a person he's as cool as it gets, as a fighter he has holes in his game, nobody should hate him but I think if he was 5-10 years younger he'd be a more complete fighter.
sparky
1/8/09 7:37:02PM
Chuck is a great respectful fighter who has always respected the sport and the opponents he was given minus Tito. People hate on him now because he isnt winning wait until he wins a fight everything changes.
Aether
1/8/09 9:26:25PM
Chuck Liddell is and always has been one of the most popular, if not the most popular fighter in the world, I really don't see this hate you're talking about. I see dozens of people with Liddell avatars, names derived from his, etc, etc. No matter what fighter you pick there will always be people that hate him, but Chuck is one of the most beloved fighters in the game, I pretty much never see anyone "hating on him."

I don't really know how to answer the question, there is no chuck hate as far as I can see, at least not any more than every fighter gets. People are realistic about the fact that his style needs to be updated if he wants to be a contender, but it's incredibly rare that I see people shit talking him.
bls1919
1/8/09 10:38:05PM
I think what you see as Hate is casual fans bashing because of his Meteoric rise and domination and its sudden/dramatic fall out. The only problem I have with Chuck is his training/unwillingness to fill voids in his game. Which in recent interviews with him and others contradict, he is trying new things and learning according to news. I hope he comes back and has a great end to his career.
urbman
1/8/09 11:35:20PM

Posted by cowcatcher

people tend to love or hate the guy on top without any in between and that was chuck for a long time. plus now that mma is so big and so many people have come up watching TUF everyone is an expert and the keyboard warriors love to call guys out for not expanding their games, which chuck clearly hasnt to this point.

Aaronno9
1/8/09 11:53:41PM
He has the same kind of problem as alot of fighters who rain at the top for so long. People just dont like em. Its the same with Fedor, awesome fighter, awesome character, but people are desperate to see him loose. Even when Chuck was knocking strikers like Overeem out, people where still content on discrediting his skills.

I was at the point where if i heard "Chuck cant beat a striker" one more time i was going to stop posting around here lol. Got better once he beat wandy though.
Pit-Bull
1/9/09 5:28:15AM
Chuck is one of the best fighters.
People dont like him why?
Some people dont like Randy some Chuck every fighter has a group of people who are his fans and a group of who are his antifans.
For me Chuck is a great fighter one of the best.
State_Champ
1/9/09 3:55:26PM
I didn't know people were hating on Chuck.
I was cheering for him to beat Rashad, that's for sure!
I like Chuck.
Darnok
1/9/09 4:21:23PM
I think it more a case of confusion on the part of Lidell fans. They think that everybody should also be a fan of Lidell's and if you are not a fan you are called a hater.

Personally the only fighter I have seen true hatred towards from anyone in the MMA community is Tito. And maybe the Glamrocks.
Aether
1/9/09 6:33:24PM
Rashad definitely also gets a lot of hate, and so did brock before beating Herring. Even leading up to the Couture fight it was still pretty strong, everyone seems to pretty much agree that he's a beast at this point though. Kimbo gets some pretty serious hate. KJ Noons, he definitely deserves it though. There's a handful of them but yeah there's not really very many at all. I'd say the vast majority of fighters have a pretty comparable love/hate ratio. heh.
State_Champ
1/12/09 2:36:27PM
Yeah, I liked Brock Lesnar from the start but I definitely noticed a lot of people who really weren't keen on him. However, as it relates to Chuck, I don't see 'haters' really. (maybe i just don't know anyone who dislikes Chuck!)
higdon10
1/12/09 4:08:13PM
I dont hate Chuck, nor do I know anyone that does.
Wolfenstein
1/12/09 4:25:10PM
Whenever there are nuthuggers for a fighter, like GSP, BJ Penn, Chuck Lidell, Lyoto Machida, etc...there are bound to be fans on the opposite side of the fence. You can't have light without dark, and you can't have good without bad. There will always be a polar opposite.
thefyn
1/15/09 9:01:32AM
Hate is too strong. I think I am personally disappointed with him.

I think instead of going on his drinking binges and party life plus training he should have just retired and enjoyed himself.

So I was a little disappointed he tried to have his cake and eat it. He should still be the champ if he had the fire/hunger that being a millionaire tends to douse.