Happy Birthday To The Father Of BJJ

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Happy Birthday To The Father Of BJJ
DCRage
10/1/08 6:00:06PM
Helio Gracie, the father of Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu and just about every Gracie whose first name starts with R, turned 96 today. If you can name all 5 have yourself some cake.
I wonder if he's still active as a teacher, if so he's still got to be in remarkable shape considering his age.
jiujitsufreak74
10/1/08 6:06:15PM
a lot of people that Carlos Sr. was a co-founder with Helio, but Helio is undoubtedly important to BJJ.

oh, btw, i know all the R's:

1st wife:
Rorion
Relson
Rickson

2nd wife:
Rolker
Royler
Royce
Robin

aaa9erh8er
10/1/08 6:17:36PM
lol im sure i noticed but i never thought about it before they really all start with r lol
candynuts
10/1/08 11:29:43PM
I thought there was a video of him rolling at the age of 92!!

Very healthy for his age, I hope to be that healthy when im like 60.

Happy B-Day Helio.
Manfred
10/2/08 4:24:21AM

Posted by candynuts

Happy B-Day Helio.

There was an interview not to long ago with Ed O'Neil (Al Bundy) where he said Helio still taps him whenever he feels like it. O'Neil has trained with them for many years.
Rush
10/2/08 8:32:20AM
My aikido sensei is in his mid sixties and has gout (too much beer drinking, lol). That man can still hurt you when he throws you. My hunch is that he'll still continue to do so at least for the next 10 years.

Helio looks great for 96. The fact that the guy even walks around at that age is impressive.
Nitrus
10/2/08 11:05:20AM
Actually it's 95!

Happy Birthday Mestre Hélio.
MMAcca
10/4/08 12:24:09AM
Happy belated Birthday Helio
fullerene
10/4/08 1:48:51PM

Posted by Manfred

Posted by candynuts

Happy B-Day Helio.

There was an interview not to long ago with Ed O'Neil (Al Bundy) where he said Helio still taps him whenever he feels like it. O'Neil has trained with them for many years.

Impressive if it's true, since Ed O is a black belt and a former college linebacker who tried out for the NFL.
Rush
10/4/08 5:19:49PM

Posted by fullerene

Impressive if it's true, since Ed O is a black belt and a former college linebacker who tried out for the NFL.

Didn't he also score 4 touchdowns in a single game for Polk high?
JimiMak
10/5/08 1:30:42PM
Happy birthday Helio. We all owe you a debt of gratitude.