What happens if Gina gets KO'd?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » What happens if Gina gets KO'd?
Next Page »
grappler0000
8/13/09 2:11:02PM
This is something that I've been thinking about and wanted to get other peoples' opinions. I'm not looking for fight predictions, but merely what the impact to woman's MMA would be.

1. Cyborg doesn't have the same mainstream and crossover appeal that Gina does. Does woman's MMA still have the same appeal without Gina being the best fighter (or at least perceived best woman's fighter)? The media and casual fans are probably not aware of many of the talented woman fighters, so how much of a blow would it deliver to the growth of the woman's division if Gina were to get iced? If Gina lost a close decision, I don't think much would change, but what happens if she gets destroyed?

2. Many people don't care to see woman fight, but I think the popularity of Gina has changed many peoples' minds...perhaps only from a business perspective for some, but regardless, many of those people are warming up to the idea. So, what impact would it have if Gina's pretty face was flattened on the canvas in a pool of blood, with her eyes rolled back? Of coarse that's worse case scenario, but we've all seen knockouts where we immediately have concern for the fighter's well being...now what if that fighter happened to be Gina Carano?
DCRage
8/13/09 2:13:19PM
Pretty simple, the SF women's division won't be as popular as it could be. Nothing against Santos but she doesn't have the looks & charisma Gina has.
ncordless
8/13/09 2:26:45PM
1. Definitely the more appealing victor for strikeforce would be Gina. Even though she really doesn't like the attention, people are interested in her. I don't think it will be the end of the world when Cyborg mauls her. Women's MMA will still be viable, and hopefully a loss by Gina would open up the public eye to other great females.

2. If Gina gets KOed bad, I don't think it hurts anything except Gina. Even if she gets rocked like Bisping against Hendo... it will make for a great clip for all the sports shows. Seriously, you got to be pretty old fashioned to have a problem watching a woman starch another woman in a combat sport. I don't really pay attention to most women's sports because the pure athleticism is just not there. But I have no problem watching a chick do anything that a guy would do, and I have a hard time believing many people under 60 do either.
seanfu
8/13/09 2:34:46PM
Actually I think the division will be just as popular for fight fans because Cyborg is brutal.

Carano, just being IN the division, will put 99 percent of the asses in the seats that she would otherwise.

So personally I don't think it matters.

And if Strikeforce ends up making a trilogy out of it, it would skyrocket interest.
Much the same way Chuck and Couture's trilogy boomed the sport in whole.
emfleek
8/13/09 2:35:49PM
If Cyborg wins, I think she'll be the Brock Lesnar of MMA.

But, so help me God, if she says anything along the lines of, "I may just go home and climb on top of my old lad...err...man, tonight!" I'll puke.
UFCmma666
8/13/09 3:23:42PM
if gina loses ill have to nurse her back to health
gartface
8/13/09 3:32:32PM
Well honestly, I was watching Sportsnation (which is an awful show by the way) and saw where they did their three picks for strongest athletes.

The girl on the show, can't remember her name, put Cyborg as one of her athletes, and didn't mention Carano.

Not to say that she has as much appeal, sex or athletic, as Carano, but I don't think the division will be that lacking if Cyborg does "shock the world."
mkiv9secsupra
8/13/09 4:12:01PM
If Gina loses, Strikeforce and women's MMA lose. Simple as that.
emfleek
8/13/09 4:19:38PM

Posted by gartface

Well honestly, I was watching Sportsnation (which is an awful show by the way) and saw where they did their three picks for strongest athletes.

Cowherd rules, in my opinion, but I can totally understand why some people don't like him. What's so bad about the show? Is it him that you don't like? His co-host? Or just the overall subject matter?
ohnougotme
8/13/09 5:00:27PM
She will gently fall to the ground,like a slow motion oak tree being uprooted.Then she will end up in doogy style(belly down ass up),pound her fists a few times.Somehow she will look around(to make sure the beating is over)and gingerlly get up and immediately start crying.Thats what i think will happen if Gina gets ko'd.
DCRage
8/13/09 5:01:54PM
Cowherd in the past has really taken a lot of heat from listeners & commentators for some of his opinions on hot topics (biased?) and his attitude in general. I personally havent' heard a lot of him outside of sometimes on my ESPN Radio podcasts, but I don't like him either.
mkiv9secsupra
8/13/09 5:32:08PM

Posted by ohnougotme

She will gently fall to the ground,like a slow motion oak tree being uprooted.Then she will end up in doogy style(belly down ass up),pound her fists a few times.Somehow she will look around(to make sure the beating is over)and gingerlly get up and immediately start crying.Thats what i think will happen if Gina gets ko'd.

sounds like a dream i had about her.....
sparky
8/13/09 7:16:33PM
Gina isnt going to lose.Thats that!!!
Rush
8/13/09 7:39:07PM
*sigh*

I think it's time to put the Gina Carano MMA-sexual innuendos to bed don't you think. I can't remember one thread that didn't contain one.

I would cheer if Gina got KOed. Maybe then she'll have some sense knocked into her and stop acting like a primadonna.
Wolfenstein
8/13/09 8:12:20PM
I think it would just make everyone that more excited about the rematch, depending upon how competetive the matchup is of course.

Some have questioned Gina's dedication, so I think it would be really easy for a promoter to put a good spin on a rematch. Like she wasn't as dedicated to MMA, before but now...

It might actually be better for woman's MMA, because a rematch would sell big, but if Gina disposes of Cyborg there probably won't be a big push for a rematch, and I don't think there's a long list of credible opponents after Cyborg.
breakdown5
8/13/09 9:10:19PM
I don't think that it would have a negative impact at all. True fight fans want to see the best fight the best. I want to see a great fight and this one will be fireworks IMO regardless of whether Carano or Cyborg takes it. A KO is a KO is a KO is a KO. I want to see someone get hit hard.

postman
8/14/09 1:28:03AM

Posted by emfleek

But, so help me God, if she says anything along the lines of, "I may just go home and climb on top of my old lad...err...man, tonight!" I'll puke.

Wouldn't Brock Lesnar be the Brock Lesnar of MMA?
EvenFlow
8/14/09 9:07:16AM
I'd die a little inside if she gets KO'd but Cyborg would be a good ambassador for female mma too, not as marketable as Gina obviously. It unfortunate that this card couldve had two more title fights. I think Overrem will finally defend his belt against Fedor right away and Rogers waits for the winner. I hope if Dana tries to steal one marketable Strikeforce guy its bringing Nick back, retaliation for signing Fedor. I think hes waiting for the Riggs rematch as schedualed, or flushin that dro out with lots of water.
emfleek
8/14/09 9:18:31AM

Posted by postman

Posted by emfleek

Ha...I meant the Brock Lesnar of women's MMA. My bad!

By the way...shouldn't this thread be re-named to be...

"What happens WHEN Gina gets KO'd?"

postman
8/14/09 11:38:59AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by postman

Posted by emfleek

Ha...I meant the Brock Lesnar of women's MMA. My bad!

By the way...shouldn't this thread be re-named to be...

"What happens WHEN Gina gets KO'd?"

MAybe guess we will find out soon enough.
emfleek
8/14/09 11:43:19AM
I may have to go to Buffalo Wild Wings for this. Hopefully they'll show it...
DCRage
8/14/09 12:05:48PM
You'd do better using the $25 to get the online stream Showtime will be offering. May not be in many (if any) bars because it's not a PPV.
emfleek
8/14/09 12:31:01PM

Posted by DCRage

You'd do better using the $25 to get the online stream Showtime will be offering. May not be in many (if any) bars because it's not a PPV.

I won't be paying to watch. I'll ask the manager if he can put it on one of the TV's. If not, I won't watch it.

EDIT: I talked myself out of Cyborg winning. Hopefully I don't regret it. I usually do when I go against my gut instinct.
gartface
8/14/09 12:37:17PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by gartface

Cowherd rules, in my opinion, but I can totally understand why some people don't like him. What's so bad about the show? Is it him that you don't like? His co-host? Or just the overall subject matter?

The subject matter has gotten to me since they started doing the sportsnation polls a while back. And I've never really been a fan of Cowherd, mostly due to the fact that he "lets" people have their say, and then refutes it shortly after. I don't like his style of jockying at all.

I've only watched the show once or twice but I can't get through a full episode.
cowcatcher
8/14/09 12:38:58PM
i have att u-verse and i just got rid of showtime(and all the other channels except HBO), but i called in and they said i could order it and cancel the next day and just get a prorated bill, which im assuming will be less than a buck so thats what im going to do.

and cowherd sucks, hes a smug little man that states his opinion as fact. i cant stand the guy and his new show is just awful, i tried to watch 3 times now and had to turn it off because between him and the woman hosting with him my bloodlust levels went through the roof.
emfleek
8/14/09 1:15:23PM
This thread has inspired me to sport a Cowherd avatar.

COWHERD IS THE MAN

He's the best thing on ESPN Radio, that's for damn sure.
gartface
8/14/09 1:42:48PM

Posted by emfleek

This thread has inspired me to sport a Cowherd avatar.

COWHERD IS THE MAN

He's the best thing on ESPN Radio, that's for damn sure.

I eventually want to work for ESPN Radio, but that's not saying much to be the best they have.

I honestly think Eric Kasilias is the best jockey they have.
emfleek
8/14/09 2:12:25PM

Posted by gartface

I honestly think Eric Kasilias is the best jockey they have.

Meh...he's nothing special as far as I'm concerned. He definitely can't hold my attention like Cowherd.

I think it goes like this...

Colin Cowherd
Mike & Mike
Eric Kasilias
Turkey Sandwich
Old Gym Shoes
Everyone Else on ESPN Radio
gartface
8/14/09 2:14:25PM
Another reason I dislike Cowherd, was the other day he was, like Cowcatcher said, stating his opinion as fact. He went on a 20 minute rant about how Jeff Bagwell did steroids because he started as a singles and doubles hitter and ended up hitting for power. Which is bs, and I won't get into it, but to me, there's no place for that in journalism.
emfleek
8/14/09 2:22:28PM

Posted by gartface

Another reason I dislike Cowherd, was the other day he was, like Cowcatcher said, stating his opinion as fact. He went on a 20 minute rant about how Jeff Bagwell did steroids because he started as a singles and doubles hitter and ended up hitting for power. Which is bs, and I won't get into it, but to me, there's no place for that in journalism.

Personally, I like his take on things and even though I don't always agree with him, he definitely presents his arguments with supporting facts/proof most of the time. I'd much rather listen to him than some douchebag who's talking about their all-time top 10 QB's or fantasy football.
Pages: [1] 2