Something happened today that I never even thought of...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Something happened today that I never even thought of...
Next Page »
Jackelope
6/4/08 8:27:14PM
In hindsight it's one of those things that I think we all knew might happen one day, but hoped we would be spared the experience.

Today I was talking with a new co-worker who is relatively ignorant to the sport of MMA besides what they've talked about on the news and a couple of events he's seen (incl. EliteXC on CBS)

He was talking about how it seems like MMA isn't like boxing because there "is nobody with a perfect record." I told him there are several VERY dominant mixed martial artists out there. I brought up the names Urijah Faber, Anderson Silva, and Fedor- of course he'd never heard of Fedor. So I showed him a few clips on Youtube. He said "God damn..." Then, he said it...

Him- "Is this guy a heavyweight?"

Me- "Yeah..."

Him- "What I don't get is if this guy is supposedly so good, and he's a heavyweight, why doesn't he fight Kimbo?"

I was speechless. I don't know why the thought of somebody asking that question never crossed my mind, but I assume it's because the mere thought of it is so ludicrous. I just laughed and shook my head in disbelief at the same time. I know he's ignorant about the sport, but is that really what the sport has become to the generallly ignorant fan? They see Kimbo as the greatest?? Please, God... no!

wolfman
6/4/08 8:30:33PM
Yeah, I hope not. Yet, I am sure there are a lot of new viewers that may have the same thought processes as him. However, if they keep an open mind and do more research on MMA, they SHOULD have a better understanding of where certain fighters REALLY rank/match up.

You just have to worry about the ignorant new fans, who would rather keep a close minded view and not expand their knowledge on the sport of MMA. These fans are usually the ones who boo once the fight hits the ground. Unfortunately, there are a lot of them right here in the States. We can only hope there are more people out there like the majority of the people on this site. Down with dogmatic thinking and ignorance!
gartface
6/4/08 8:36:44PM
That's funny, because I play WMMA, and I was testing out someone's Real World Mod, and I saw that Fedor after 6 months or so was 28-2....I went to see his second loss...none other than Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson. What a shame...apparently this guy that you work with isn't the only one that thinks that Fedor isn't on the same "level" as Kevin Ferguson.
SmileR
6/4/08 8:39:01PM
I feel your pain! I have a friend who truly truly believes Kimbo is the best HW out there!
People are that stupid... I would say misinformed but thats no longer the word. Stupid people make up the majority of the sporting world. I don't understand how they still think Kimbo is so good!
Their was a program on the other day and it actually asked the question "Who can stop Kimbo?".
I just curled up into a little ball an wept!
CantAndleDaRiddum
6/4/08 8:39:44PM
your story made me die a little inside
dannyfrank
6/4/08 8:58:43PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

yeah, me too. what is this world coming to!?
mrsmiley
6/4/08 9:09:15PM

Posted by dannyfrank

yeah, me too. what is this world coming to!?

Me too.That's depressing.
Raykill
6/4/08 9:09:19PM

I tried to say it better myself, but it wasnt happening
gartface
6/4/08 9:36:56PM

Posted by SmileR

I feel your pain! I have a friend who truly truly believes Kimbo is the best HW out there!
People are that stupid... I would say misinformed but thats no longer the word. Stupid people make up the majority of the sporting world. I don't understand how they still think Kimbo is so good!
Their was a program on the other day and it actually asked the question "Who can stop Kimbo?".

Wait? Kimbo isn't the best heavyweight in the world?
juanez13
6/4/08 10:10:27PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by SmileR

Not Yet. But he is the best HW striker in the world though!
Jackelope
6/4/08 10:48:15PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by gartface

Posted by SmileR

Not Yet. But he is the best HW striker in the world though!

Yeah, screw all those heavyweight K-1 Champs that are fighting in MMA! Kimbo is from the streets... ya HEARD?!
Rush
6/5/08 12:03:15AM

Posted by Jackelope

Yeah, screw all those heavyweight K-1 Champs that are fighting in MMA! Kimbo is from the streets... ya HEARD?!

LOL

This guy recently told me he had a black belt in streetfighting. Then I applied a 4th control aikido control on him and he stopped talking after that. Some people think "the streets" are the place to be the toughest.

Mchubb316
6/5/08 12:51:21AM
I'm sure this guy is not the only person who thinks this, sadly enough. It would be kinda fun to put Kimbo in there with Fedor just for the pure enjoyment of watching a true mixed martial artist completely tool someone who is considered by people to be great.
wolfman
6/5/08 1:09:48AM

Posted by Mchubb316

I'm sure this guy is not the only person who thinks this, sadly enough. It would be kinda fun to put Kimbo in there with Fedor just for the pure enjoyment of watching a true mixed martial artist completely tool someone who is considered by people to be great.

That would be great wouldn't it?! I'd have to find some new MMA fans and lay down some bets with them and sit back with a beer and watch the beautiful destruction of Kimbo.
SpiderSilva
6/5/08 2:41:03AM
heres how that would happen Fedor takes Kimbo down the rips off his arm and beats Kimbo into submition

I will say this my wife thought Kimbo would go undefeated for a vary long time you know unbeatable Fedor style then came the wonderful JT takedowns the JT half assed ground game

You know I don't think Frank Shamrock is scared of Kimbo anymore

maybe we will see Shammy vs Kimbo

oh and I don't think EXC will bring in Tito to fight Kimbo now because Tito would whip his ass

man would I hate to get hit by Kimbo he still had mad power even though he was gassed

just a bunch of thoughts I have had
Kracker_Jap
6/5/08 2:51:07AM

Posted by wolfman

Posted by Mchubb316

That would be great wouldn't it?! I'd have to find some new MMA fans and lay down some bets with them and sit back with a beer and watch the beautiful destruction of Kimbo.

I love to take peoples money.... But then after that.....

Do your job as a true MMA fan show and tell people about the real side of MMA, I constantly find my self recuiting fans to MMA and then after I get them hooked I let them know about this site.

But keepin in real, its our job as hardcore MMA ADDICTS to fight the Kimbo complex "Friends don't let Friends think Kimbo is the Greatest"
jiujitsufreak74
6/5/08 2:55:27AM
Whatever happened to natural selection that would kill off retards like this?

it saddens me to wake up everyday and know that there are people out there with the intelligence level of a Lemming.

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Bonus-Jonas
6/5/08 11:42:29AM
My little bro in law watched the Kimbo fight with me and my wife and after was like, "Man, Kimbo is so tough, why doesn't he fight in the UFC? He would take everyone?" My wife and I started laughing. My wife knows MMA better then most guys because she watches it all the time with me and she made her little bro feel dumb for thinking that Kimbo was so good. I was a little offended and had to point out all his holes and weaknesses. But, even after all that it was hard for him to except the fact that Kimbo is no Fedor and couldn't last in the UFC. It is sad that so many people think he is 'THE HEAVYWEIGHT' of MMA. Sad Sad Sad
CantAndleDaRiddum
6/5/08 2:14:43PM
i have a friend who swears Chuck would lose to Kimbo.......u have to remember some people cant be helped
wolfman
6/5/08 3:37:43PM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Posted by wolfman

Posted by Mchubb316

Do your job as a true MMA fan show and tell people about the real side of MMA, I constantly find my self recuiting fans to MMA and then after I get them hooked I let them know about this site.

But keepin in real, its our job as hardcore MMA ADDICTS to fight the Kimbo complex "Friends don't let Friends think Kimbo is the Greatest"

Oh yes, no doubt...Your last sentence cracked me up.
Jackelope
6/5/08 7:09:29PM

Posted by wolfman

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Posted by wolfman

Posted by Mchubb316

Oh yes, no doubt...Your last sentence cracked me up.

Screw it, man.. put him in there with the guy on your avatar ;) Let's see who is truly the best HW striker in MMA. Shove that up Gary Shaw's ass.

Crocop LHK HL Reel KO over Kimbo= Me crying with tears of happiness. It might be the only moment more beautiful to me than seeing Brock Lesnar tap to Frank Mir's knee bar. Call me a sicko hardcore fan, but I seriously teared up when I saw that. That's a whole 'nother conversation, though
tdietel01
6/5/08 9:25:30PM

Posted by Jackelope

Him- "Is this guy a heavyweight?"

Me- "Yeah..."

Him- "What I don't get is if this guy is supposedly so good, and he's a heavyweight, why doesn't he fight Kimbo?"

WOW this actually did make me lol!!! my kids looked at me like i was an idiot!
big_timmy
6/8/08 2:07:53AM
The sad thing is, sometimes thing's dont go the way they should. Can you imagine if Kimbo did fight Fedor, and got in a lucky punch and floored Fedor? The what would the next step be? Mixing in some rat poison in with my gatorade...

Thats what worries me about MMA and fighting in general, not always does the best man win. Look at Tim Sylvia over AA, or Tim Sylvia over Vera, or Tim Sylvia over AA, or Tim Sylvia over anyone.

What would you do if Kimbo floored Fedor?

Don't get me wrong, not for one second am i saying Kimbo is better, im just saying people do get that lucky shot in.
gartface
6/8/08 2:24:19AM

Posted by big_timmy

The sad thing is, sometimes thing's dont go the way they should. Can you imagine if Kimbo did fight Fedor, and got in a lucky punch and floored Fedor? The what would the next step be? Mixing in some rat poison in with my gatorade...

Thats what worries me about MMA and fighting in general, not always does the best man win. Look at Tim Sylvia over AA, or Tim Sylvia over Vera, or Tim Sylvia over AA, or Tim Sylvia over anyone.

Don't get me wrong, not for one second am i saying Kimbo is better, im just saying people do get that lucky shot in.

James Thompson took Kimbo down with ease...what makes you think Fedor would let Kimbo even stand for 5 seconds?
Jackelope
6/8/08 11:14:10AM

Posted by big_timmy

Well if you don't think Tim Sylvia beat any of those guys with skill it's hard to consider your post with any weight. Dislike for his style aside, you can't deny that he KO'd Arlovski, outmuscled/outclinched Vera up against the fence, etc.
The-Don
6/8/08 12:55:24PM

Posted by big_timmy

What would be a lucky shot against Fedor... He has been slammed on his head ny Randleman. Kicked multiple times by crocop... had all kinds of war with nog.. I mean seriously.. Kimbo's punching power in not off the charts... "Glass jaw" Thompson took several shots from him and survived to the 3rd round where a paid off ref stopped the fight.. ( my opinion why else was the fight stopped there and not the 2nd round?)... I mean seriously.. I'd take a straight shot from Kimbo any day of the week, then let CroCop kick me with that left foot.. Kimbo would need to wear steel gloves to get a lucky shot on Fedor... I would love to see this fight... Heck let it be in a cage on Elite XC for the next show.. granted Kimbo has an opponent and I can't see him winning so hopefully after the next show the Kimbo Hype and thats all it is will be over and he can just fade away for awhile... Now granted Kimbo does seem to be training hard.. but I doubt he will ever crack the top ten heck top 20 in hte HW division.. though he may have a decent carear as long as he can avoid the tough opponents...
big_timmy
6/9/08 3:42:47AM
A lucky shot is a lucky shot, don't matter how hard you can punch. Shit, look at nick diaz knocking out Robbie Lawler, who most classify as one of the best pound for pound puncher going around. Now you can't tell me you'd put nick diaz up there in your pound for pound striking.

Sylvia knocked out AA once, granted. His second win over AA was not what you would classify as a good fight from either of the fighters. As for out-muscling Vera, so he should, being the biggest guy in the HW division against a guy who should really be fightin LHW. The fact that Vera broke his hand pretty much gifted Sylvia that fight, and all he had to do was some standing LnP. 5 of his last 7 fights have gone to decision. He struggled to get any real shots in against a guy who was a foot shorter than him. This doesnt sound like the best fighter going around.

Kimbo isnt that good, but he's like any household name. It's the only name poeple know, and they think he's the best because of it.

It's like shaq now. Not nearly the BEST big guy going round, but to someone who doesnt know much about the NBA, he is THE household name, therefore, he must be the best.

Be happy that true MMA fans know differently, of course Fedor is better than Kimbo, but let that just be our little secret. Who cares if the ignorant think otherwise?
StriderXero
6/9/08 7:03:48AM
Kimbo should fight Mark Hunt..........you remember that guy punching Kimbo in the face in one of his videos, and kimbo srugged it off............Well that would be Kimbo against Hunt, except the complete opposite.

Or better yet Cro Cop could just walk in the cage with him, kick him so hard, that he'll forget his own name. But I'm pretty sure Kimbo would put Crocop through hell, since like Gary Shaw says......Kimbo has the best stand up in the world....
D0wnUnd6e6r
6/9/08 7:31:19AM
I honestly ignored Slice's actual name t'ill about this thread

so it's kevin ferguson? sounds like a whiteboy's name
Mastodon2
6/9/08 9:45:00AM
It amazes me that some people still rate Kimbo after h struggled against the hardly amazing James Thompson. He made it look so difficult to beat him, I'd like to see Kimbo fight a real HW striker like Aleksander Emelianenko or Mark Hunt, they'd destroy him and hopefully help enlighten many confused and misguided people.
Pages: [1] 2