What happened to Takanori Gomi???

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » What happened to Takanori Gomi???
hathcock32
10/7/07 5:04:07PM
I havent heard anything of him since he got crushed by Diaz. Any news on him??
cmill21
10/7/07 5:11:01PM
I don't think sherk deserves any type of top 5 rank in LW, he has 2 LW fights. Not to mention he's currently suspended for steroids.
Violence108
10/7/07 5:12:35PM
i thought that he signed with HEROS
Mastodon2
10/7/07 6:38:34PM
Last I heard he had signed to K-1 HEROS. He also doesn't deserve to move rank after the Diaz fight saying as it was a NC, as Diaz was officially ruled as doped up and having numbed his ability to feel pain. The quote from the CSAC commissioner at the time was something like "There is no doubt in my mind that you were intoxicted...which affected your ability to feel pain".

Im with him on that one, Diaz got a cracked oribtal socket in that match, an injury which saw Bob Sapp fall over crying. If Diaz had not been doped up on all that THC he wouldnt have been able to fight on through that.

DCRage
10/7/07 7:14:20PM
He hasn't confirmed his future plans, although he said he preferred to stay in Japan and fight for an organization there. He's pretty much ruled out UFC at this time. As far as fighting goes, he's been inactive since the No Contest with Diaz.
MALICE
10/7/07 9:25:39PM
I hope he changes his mind and comes to the UFC. I wish all Former PRIDE fighters would sign with the UFC.
nubby
10/7/07 9:34:54PM

Posted by xxMALICExx

I hope he changes his mind and comes to the UFC. I wish all Former PRIDE fighters would sign with the UFC.

Not until hes un-suspended. THen again I'm waiting for the appeal.
MALICE
10/7/07 10:05:50PM

Posted by nubby

Posted by xxMALICExx

Not until hes un-suspended. THen again I'm waiting for the appeal.

I think you know why I want him to sign. I think we have similiar views on The UFC and PRIDE.
jiujitsufreak74
10/7/07 11:06:54PM
i like gomi, but i am a little sceptical about him being number one. if he wants to continue to have a good career in mma he should join the ufc and dominate there for a while and face off against bj while diaz floats around and sherk appeals his suspension. in my mind hes not number one, but honestly...who is? i can't think of anyone who 100% deserves to be number one without anyone saying "yea,but...". so for the time being i'll accept him as number one, ut i still think he should sign with the ufc so more americans can be exposed to his talent.
MMA
10/7/07 11:44:09PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

He should be removed from everyones #1 at Lightweight, Diaz crushed him and so did BJ, and both still fight around lightweight so they should be#1..he probably is one of the very few lightweights with KO power but he should work on that or the guys in the UFC will kill him because they would just wear him out in round 1...

If he worked on conditioning he'd be definitely a top guy but im still EXTREMELY confused why mma playground has him one because sherk would be him with conditioning, BJ already has, JZ & Shaolin could beat em....

super confused

Diaz didn't really crush Gomi. I won't discredit Diaz, he won that fight and it sucks that it got overturned but it was not that dominating of a performance considering how fast Gomi gassed. Gomi probably hardly trained for this fight and still almost KO'd Diaz. You could see his interviews that he was more concerned about partying than fighting.

Also, even though Gomi has lost to BJ, he has a way more accomplished record in the lightweight division than BJ. BJ took a long hiatus and the moment he comes back, people are already on his nuts.

Even though I think Sherk would beat Gomi by outworking him, he has not beat the people Gomi has beaten in the lightweight division.

I wouldn't mind seeing JZ fight Gomi though, that would be a bad ass fight. I was really surprised how easily JZ finished Ribeiro.
JimiMak
10/8/07 12:49:41AM

Posted by Mastodon2

Last I heard he had signed to K-1 HEROS. He also doesn't deserve to move rank after the Diaz fight saying as it was a NC, as Diaz was officially ruled as doped up and having numbed his ability to feel pain. The quote from the CSAC commissioner at the time was something like "There is no doubt in my mind that you were intoxicted...which affected your ability to feel pain".

Im with him on that one, Diaz got a cracked oribtal socket in that match, an injury which saw Bob Sapp fall over crying. If Diaz had not been doped up on all that THC he wouldnt have been able to fight on through that.

You can't really believe that. Pot made him win?! You really call being high "doped up"? you're jsut talkin such ridiculousness that i hope you're kidding cuz there's no arguing w/ that kind of ignorance.

POT MADE HIM GOGO GOMI!!! That may deserve congrats as the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
NatedawgThaM
10/8/07 1:48:51AM

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by Mastodon2

You can't really believe that. Pot made him win?! You really call being high "doped up"? you're jsut talkin such ridiculousness that i hope you're kidding cuz there's no arguing w/ that kind of ignorance.

POT MADE HIM GOGO GOMI!!! That may deserve congrats as the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

EXACTLY!!! If you wear on Weed or Crack a GOGO wouldn't look that GOOD!!!! Heck, he probably wouldn't have got it in. And all Diaz's punches were pin point so if he was "high" don't you think his punches would be sloppy?
nubby
10/8/07 10:16:37AM
Anyone who thinks weed is a performance enhancing drug has never used it.
fedorwins1
10/8/07 10:33:48AM
Last I heard he's in K-1 Heroes and he's gonna fight Dida.
Mastodon2
10/8/07 10:44:38AM

Posted by nubby

Anyone who thinks that THC has no pain numbing properties knows nothing about chemistry, or the biochemistry and physiology of the human body.

Diaz may have gotten the Gogoplata, but its hardly surprising he caught Gomi, since he had absorbed everything Gomi threw at him, and just kept coming and was able to wear Gomi down while his own injuries were not affecting him.
nubby
10/8/07 11:44:19AM

Posted by Mastodon2

Posted by nubby

Anyone who thinks that THC has no pain numbing properties knows nothing about chemistry, or the biochemistry and physiology of the human body.

Diaz may have gotten the Gogoplata, but its hardly surprising he caught Gomi, since he had absorbed everything Gomi threw at him, and just kept coming and was able to wear Gomi down while his own injuries were not affecting him.

I've been in fights while high on weed, it didn't numb a god damn thing.
MALICE
10/8/07 12:56:21PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Posted by nubby

Yup, that's exactly how it works. Pfff! Whatever. You have to give him credit though, for making weight while having the constant munchies from the pounds of weed he was smoking in the weeks before the fight.
jiujitsufreak74
10/8/07 1:10:52PM
if the THC in his body was able to effect his feeling of pain, then it would have also affected his coordination and speed. its a trade off. i think that the thc really didnt have too much of an effect on him because i feel that he was hight the night before, and just because thc is in your system does not mean your high a day later. i personally don't smoke but i did get a 5 on the ap bio test and major in biology and i feel that the thc didn't impact his performance too much. the only way it could was if diaz blazed up right before the fight or the morning of, which i don't think happened.
hathcock32
10/8/07 3:48:26PM

Posted by nubby

Posted by Mastodon2

Posted by nubby

I've been in fights while high on weed, it didn't numb a god damn thing.

I agree. I would actually say it hurts more taking a punch high. As for Gomi, i dont think he's all that good. Diaz beat him down, as would the top 5 lightweights in the UFC.
jiujitsufreak74
10/8/07 5:26:14PM
in my eyes gomi is a great fighter and is definitely in the top 2 at LW without a doubt. however, i think that diaz beat him and that the thc wasn't the reason why. because of that, i feel that diaz should be number one atm and i really hope he comes to the ufc. same goes for gomi. i would love to see diaz take on gomi in the octagon, and maybe this time diaz wont have any asterisk and gomi won't gas.
nubby
10/8/07 7:58:05PM
Yikes, one win gets you the #1 spot?
jiujitsufreak74
10/8/07 8:30:39PM

Posted by nubby

Yikes, one win gets you the #1 spot?

i know it sounds drastic, and i do love nick diaz so i am a little biased, but i think if you beat the best in the world then you deserve a high spot. plus, diaz had a couple of good wins going into that fight. right now the LW division doesn't have a definitive number one because you can argue why someone shouldn't be numbe rone for each fighter, but right now i have to go w/ diaz who beat gomi in my eyes. if diaz rematches him and wins then i think he should definitely in the top two if he isn't already. the ufc has to start bringing in those Japanese guys (like sakurai or aoki) or melendez so the ufc LW division can actually have more top ten talent and have that talent face off against each other. anyway the bottom line is that i feel no one really deserves the top spot 100%, and i just feel that diaz deserves it the most in my eyes.
nWo
10/9/07 3:06:57AM

Posted by Mastodon2

marijuana doesnt releave the pain of being pummelled in the face i dont care what kind of dank it is!
DCRage
10/9/07 8:20:14AM
Sherdog put up a good interview they did with Gomi in Japan from a week or so ago (posted today), talking a little bit about what he's up to although he did seem kinda tight-lipped on the matter.

Link