What happened to Rickson?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » What happened to Rickson?
warglory
11/6/11 7:03:04PM
So I am watching Choke for the first time, the documentary on Rickson Gracie and the Japanese Vale Tudo tournaments, and all I can think of while watching this is how full of it Rickson is. He is way more full of himself than all of the other Gracie's. What I don't understand, is why after winning two of these tourneys, to be crowned the Vale tudo champion of the world, he didn't devote more of his time to fighting? The man was in his prime, and he only went on to fight three more times in the next 5 years. I don't see how you can brag so much about your art, and your own background, to not then go on to show the world. One clear example is when Royce got owned by Sakuraba in 2000. Rickson was still fighting then, so why not fight Sakuraba?

I just don't understand the Gracie mentality.
ghandikush
11/6/11 8:34:38PM

Posted by warglory

So I am watching Choke for the first time, the documentary on Rickson Gracie and the Japanese Vale Tudo tournaments, and all I can think of while watching this is how full of it Rickson is. He is way more full of himself than all of the other Gracie's. What I don't understand, is why after winning two of these tourneys, to be crowned the Vale tudo champion of the world, he didn't devote more of his time to fighting? The man was in his prime, and he only went on to fight three more times in the next 5 years. I don't see how you can brag so much about your art, and your own background, to not then go on to show the world. One clear example is when Royce got owned by Sakuraba in 2000. Rickson was still fighting then, so why not fight Sakuraba?

Yeah I wanted more of Rickson but I think he was trying to keep his image dominant rather than actually compete.
tcunningham
11/7/11 3:07:29AM
the sport left them behind.
Pookie
11/7/11 12:50:28PM

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by warglory

Yeah I wanted more of Rickson but I think he was trying to keep his image dominant rather than actually compete.

Bingo
mrsmiley
11/8/11 5:52:11AM
Rickson will always be a hot topic in MMA,i think even years from now these talks will go on. I believe to an extent that yeah Rickson does have that mentality that he wants to keep an image so to speak but their's a huge history behind it to that in part,pardons some of it.

We first have to look at the beginning of the UFC. Rickson wanted to be the Gracie that held the family name but Rorion have different plans because Rickson had left the academy and Rorion wanted someone that was still in so to speak.
It was also a physical issue as well. Rorion said people would look at Rickson and see he was a decent sized guy and looked like he could handle himself but by putting Royce in it added an element of the fantastic behind it.
Royce had a vunerability to him that put people on his side. It was a thing of shock to see such a lanky guy dispatch guys much meaner looking and bigger than him.

The Rickson talk began when Royce said in an interview his older brother was 10x better than him. Immediatley people where curious. How could a guy 10x better than Royce ever be beaten?

Now we move to Japan. Now here's where we get a very different mentality than that of the west. Here we have a Gracie who's family in a sense had taken a Japanese art and developed it to greater degrees. Thus to the Japanese it wasn't exactly about Rickson fighting the best fighters deemed by the west but about fighting their own national heroes. That's where the money came in. Their was a sense of history their and the japanese wanted retribution. That's why the Funaki fight was so big.

Perhaps the biggest problem came when Rickson didn't fight Sakuraba. Though to be fair to Rickson after his son died he refused to fight ever again.
It doesn't help Rickson though that ever sense he's been very critical over a modern fighters. Some of his points I find valid,others absurd but from a straight BJJ perspective the man is in a class of his own.

BTW, for a while a fight between him and Gokor almost became reality. Donald Trump was even going to pay to see it happen but both guys apparently in the end felt they both had too much to lose in the fight. Would have been great to see. That's what I've herd anyway.
VILLIN
11/10/11 8:28:17AM
I remember reading that at the end of his fighting days Rickson was making some pretty foolish contract demands. Things like demanding $4-5 million per fight which at the time was complete idiocy.
mrsmiley
11/11/11 1:57:36PM
If I remember right I think he made 1 million or close to it for each fight he had with Takada.
warglory
11/13/11 11:45:33AM

Posted by mrsmiley

Rickson will always be a hot topic in MMA,i think even years from now these talks will go on. I believe to an extent that yeah Rickson does have that mentality that he wants to keep an image so to speak but their's a huge history behind it to that in part,pardons some of it.

We first have to look at the beginning of the UFC. Rickson wanted to be the Gracie that held the family name but Rorion have different plans because Rickson had left the academy and Rorion wanted someone that was still in so to speak.
It was also a physical issue as well. Rorion said people would look at Rickson and see he was a decent sized guy and looked like he could handle himself but by putting Royce in it added an element of the fantastic behind it.
Royce had a vunerability to him that put people on his side. It was a thing of shock to see such a lanky guy dispatch guys much meaner looking and bigger than him.

The Rickson talk began when Royce said in an interview his older brother was 10x better than him. Immediatley people where curious. How could a guy 10x better than Royce ever be beaten?

Now we move to Japan. Now here's where we get a very different mentality than that of the west. Here we have a Gracie who's family in a sense had taken a Japanese art and developed it to greater degrees. Thus to the Japanese it wasn't exactly about Rickson fighting the best fighters deemed by the west but about fighting their own national heroes. That's where the money came in. Their was a sense of history their and the japanese wanted retribution. That's why the Funaki fight was so big.

Perhaps the biggest problem came when Rickson didn't fight Sakuraba. Though to be fair to Rickson after his son died he refused to fight ever again.
It doesn't help Rickson though that ever sense he's been very critical over a modern fighters. Some of his points I find valid,others absurd but from a straight BJJ perspective the man is in a class of his own.

BTW, for a while a fight between him and Gokor almost became reality. Donald Trump was even going to pay to see it happen but both guys apparently in the end felt they both had too much to lose in the fight. Would have been great to see. That's what I've herd anyway.

Interesting, thanks for the info!