What Happened To Mark Miller vs. Deray Davis?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » What Happened To Mark Miller vs. Deray Davis?
ThaAxeMurderer7
11/8/09 12:13:04PM
After the post-Fedor madness cleared from the cage we were told to get upstairs for the press conference and it was clear that the Miller/Davis fight wasn't taking place. I tried to ask the few executives I saw walking around for the story and no one seemed to know.

Mark Miller vs Deray Davis was canceled by fight organizers due to lack of time. A real un-cool decision. Both fighters prepared for this evening and were told with no advance noticed what-so-ever. At the moment they would be walking out on the floor for their match, Miller and Davis were informed that they were canceled! Fighters stood stand-by in shock trying to understand how this became their evening's destiny.

Link
teamquestnorth
11/8/09 12:56:01PM
That is extremely messed up. DO u know if they were still paid?
I remember being on sherdogs play for play and it was like 650pm and it still showed that the fight hadnt taken place yet and i just figured they might have thrown it on the main card but apparently not. wow

edit: I wonder how pissed off they are that the girls got their fight in!!
kopower
11/8/09 1:12:13PM
A few of us were at the fight last night and wondered the same thing. They skipped over that one in the prelims to get to the gals and we figured they would use that as filler or the last fight of the night. Being a prelim fight I would hope Strikeforce could afford the few thousand dollars the fighters were going to make.
Giant_Ochai
11/8/09 1:17:23PM
Here is a legitimate reason that the UFC is superior to Strikeforce. The UFC would have put them on as a walkout fight. Strikeforce rendered their training camps useless. If they didn't get their show money they should sue.
Twenty20Dollars
11/8/09 2:41:53PM
Ok let them fight after the broadcast. Very unprofessional, never see the UFC do anything like that.
Wallass
11/8/09 2:46:23PM
Agreed. Look at, was it Stacked? When Kon Flo fought I think Alvin Robinson as the main event due to time or UFC 100 with Fitch and Thiago going last. I was at the 2nd montreal show and due to time Stout and Wiman made the main card from being scheduled for prelims to make the fight happen. The call last night was bush league, but then again isnt that what Strikeforce is?
george112
11/8/09 2:51:44PM

Posted by Wallass

Agreed. Look at, was it Stacked? When Kon Flo fought I think Alvin Robinson as the main event due to time or UFC 100 with Fitch and Thiago going last. I was at the 2nd montreal show and due to time Stout and Wiman made the main card from being scheduled for prelims to make the fight happen. The call last night was bush league, but then again isnt that what Strikeforce is?

no thats not what they are.

but i agree with the consensus here.totally shady move.i agree with them suing if they dont get paid
Rush
11/8/09 3:09:18PM
If they didn't get paid, and they sue, I think they should have no problem making back all their promised purse plus a little extra. Doesn't seem like a smart move for a company (that would understand the consequences) to make.
gcraig22
11/8/09 4:46:03PM
Very disappointing indeed. It seems that wherever M-1 goes, controversy follows. Maybe it's just CBS. They don't seem to know how to promote a fight either. I now understand why the UFC doesn't have a network deal yet.
bjj1605
11/8/09 11:05:35PM
Thats to bad. I was very impressed with the show yesterday and I enjoyed it as much or more than the UFC and WEC events I've gone to. The UFC would've put the fight on after the main event.

I was wondering what happened.
matt_black
11/8/09 11:28:09PM
^ ^
i'd have to disagree with you there, the ufc have used other fights as swing bouts before, the most recent was jon fitch vs paulo thiago, even if they had no tv time left i still think they would run the bout.
Kpro
11/9/09 1:11:03AM
I read an article yesterday that said the fighters had been informed prior to the event starting that their fight not happening was a possibility and that they were guaranteed their show money.

Sorry no link, I thought I saw it here on the Playground since this is one of the only sites I visit but I guess not.

Still sucks to go through a training camp and have no chance to show your skills or collect your win bonus.
xAcidburNx
11/9/09 3:26:30AM
l would have demanded that both fighters recieve the win bonus on top of the fight cash. theres no way to determine who deserves it more and the money for just fighting would not be enough to repay me for the months in training camp away from my family and friends. i would be pissed with anything less. Also i would ask for my contract to be renewed as it was before the night took place. If I were told that my 3 fight contract was down to 2 there would hell to pay.
prozacnation1978
11/9/09 7:46:45AM
that is b.s
strikeforce could have pushed up the time the fights start just like the ufc does
to give enough time for all the fights