What has happened to "Joe Daddy" ? : (

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » What has happened to "Joe Daddy" ? : (
AussiePride
7/7/11 8:02:33AM
Joe Stevenson is one of my favourite fighters in the UFC and has been since watching on TUF season 2. But has suffered 4 losses in a row inside the Ocatgon, i was just wondering if i could get an insight in how narrow those fights were and if he was dominated because i didn't see any of them ? And if he is on the verge of being cut from the organisation?
AussiePride
7/7/11 8:04:51AM
On second thought i saw the G-Sot fight where he was outworked and out grappled, and i saw him get caught by Mac, but where did his alast 2 performances go wrong?
prozacnation1978
7/7/11 8:56:05AM
He will get cut from ufc
I hope bellator or some organization picks him up
But he needs to evolve his game
Jekyll
7/7/11 9:08:27AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

He will get cut from ufc

pretty much this... hes the same fighter as he was on TUF 2 he never increased his skill...
emfleek
7/7/11 9:15:21AM

Posted by Jekyll

He will get cut from ufc

pretty much this... hes the same fighter as he was on TUF 2 he never increased his skill...

...and has pretty much no killer instinct it seems.

If he would fight each fight like he did against Spencer Fisher, he'd be a beast.
gartface
7/7/11 10:03:35AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Jekyll

He will get cut from ufc

...and has pretty much no killer instinct it seems.

If he would fight each fight like he did against Spencer Fisher, he'd be a beast.

Those short elbows were ridiculous in that fight!

You're right though, I don't know why he lacks that killer instinct most of the time.
AchillesHeel
7/7/11 10:10:41AM

[...]he needs to evolve his game

This is my feeling too. I think if you have any aspirations of being in the big leagues these days - and presumably from this point onward - you need solid standup skills and solid ground skills. Muhammad Ali and Mike Tyson would get taken down; Aleksander Karelin and Dan Gable would get picked apart from the outside.
Theoutlaw08
7/7/11 10:17:53AM
He'll get cut, frankly, it's over due. I think the run of 40+ fights started to get to him. He will fight again, but not in the UFC.
Budgellism
7/7/11 10:54:58AM

Posted by AussiePride

On second thought i saw the G-Sot fight where he was outworked and out grappled, and i saw him get caught by Mac, but where did his alast 2 performances go wrong?

Well his last match was a terrible gameplan. He lost the first two rounds convincingly and instead of trying to finish the fight in the 3rd he kept to his gameplan and danced around a lot while standing in front of his opponent. I'm a Joe Daddy fan as well and I've hated watching his last few fights.
Twenty20Dollars
7/7/11 11:49:35AM
He hasn't evolved and struggles against top competition and seems content to just be in the fight even though he's losing.

Wasn't he training with Greg Jackson? Yet still hasn't shown much. Doesn't really throw kicks and doesn't have a good gameplan.
FastKnockout
7/7/11 12:49:49PM
I'm thinking that all the physical stress is catching up to him. He's been fighting since 1999, and currently holds over 40 MMA fights on his record. Add in that he's been in a few nasty wars with some of the division's top talent since winning TUF and it should come as no surprise that it's all catching up to him. The Joe Stevenson now isn't the same Joe Stevenson of then.
Chael_Sonnen
7/7/11 12:54:45PM
What happened to Joe Daddy you ask? Everybody else is getting better and he is pretty much the same fighter as he was in TUF.
kingsmasher
7/7/11 1:10:02PM
After his last performance I hope hes gone...

The part where he raised his hands in the end he needs to go far far away...Maybe Dancing With the Stars!!
40ouncetpkid
7/7/11 2:41:28PM
Yeah it's pretty much that he doesn't want to get any better. I think he's fine with the decent skills he has in every area but in this day and age you can't just be decent in all the areas, now you got to be good or great in all areas to be great.

Agree with the lack of killer instinct too. Kind of crazy how he you to be a nasty finisher with that guillotine but now that seems like a lost art from. You have to keep progressing though, even Jon Fitch went over to Thai land to try and improve his MT.