The Handling of Kimbo Slice

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » The Handling of Kimbo Slice
MMAcca
6/14/08 11:58:54AM
Kimbo Slice’s debut on CBS did solid ratings for EliteXC, but it also exposed holes in Slice’s MMA game. Slice is still a relative amateur on the ground, and lacks high level conditioning. Because he won he is likely to retain most of his drawing power, but he is one bad loss away from taking a serious hit as a special attraction. It is in this environment that EliteXC needs to be very careful in choosing his next opponent.

LINK
gartface
6/14/08 2:11:35PM
I think with his conditioning, some of it has to do with him not knowing how to use his hips to escape from ground positions. That sweep he did of Thompson was all arms and legs. You'll use a lot more energy trying to use just brute strength instead of your hips or holds.
Bas will whip him into shape.
Rush
6/14/08 4:37:41PM

Posted by gartface

Hasn't Bas had enough time to whip him into shape so far?
The-Don
6/15/08 12:42:34PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by gartface

Hasn't Bas had enough time to whip him into shape so far?

Agreed.. the getting inbto shape part for a fight is the easy part.. its learning the skill needed to win a fight which is hard... ... Kimbo was gassing already by the end of the first round...
voodoo-jitsu
6/16/08 1:30:59AM
kimbo slice is what tank abbott was 10 years ago and 10 years from now kimbo will be where tank is now ..............................a never was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
holt8081
6/16/08 1:55:25AM

Posted by thevoodooninja

kimbo slice is what tank abbott was 10 years ago and 10 years from now kimbo will be where tank is now ..............................a never was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you said it right brother
bls1919
6/17/08 9:12:19PM
I have always been a Kimbo supporter but after that last fight, all I saw was aging fighter with limited skills and a huge heart. THere is no doubt that the man would fight a Lion but he doesnt have time on his side. I hope he can make a payday out of his stint with EXC and that org will die wilth him IMO
The-Don
6/20/08 6:47:06PM

Posted by bls1919

I have always been a Kimbo supporter but after that last fight, all I saw was aging fighter with limited skills and a huge heart. THere is no doubt that the man would fight a Lion but he doesnt have time on his side. I hope he can make a payday out of his stint with EXC and that org will die wilth him IMO

you know I can totally with that assesment.. He seems like a fairly decent guy.. with alot of heart.. its a shame he did nto find this sport at a younger age.. perahps he could have been a big name in the sport.. not just a big name...
mikevolz
6/21/08 9:53:18AM
i don't understand all the fighters calling him out. the man has 4 fights.

you have fighters like tito, and now monson, and matt lindland calling him out. imagine like tony romo calling out the arena football leagues best quarterback, or the canadian leagues best qb. i understand brett rogers calling him out, they are in the same org, brett is a better more exciting fighter and is getting the short end of the stick.

these fighters are so bad, that they are going to call out a fighter with 4 fights because they can't take on anyone decent and exciting at their own level, so they want to step down and prove they could do some damage to kimbo. After that display on the last elite xc i bet theres people on this board who could take kimbo in an mma fight if it went to the ground. however me having the reach of a t-rex and the weight of a wet bag of hair, i know it wouldnt be me.

but come on lindland, monson, tito, chuck, quit waving your dick around, we know you'd 'whoop that ass' but stick to real competition and trying to be the top of your game instead of taking a step back to steal some kids lunch money on the playground.
D0wnUnd6e6r
6/21/08 10:50:26AM

Posted by mikevolz

i don't understand all the fighters calling him out. the man has 4 fights.

you have fighters like tito, and now monson, and matt lindland calling him out. imagine like tony romo calling out the arena football leagues best quarterback, or the canadian leagues best qb. i understand brett rogers calling him out, they are in the same org, brett is a better more exciting fighter and is getting the short end of the stick.

these fighters are so bad, that they are going to call out a fighter with 4 fights because they can't take on anyone decent and exciting at their own level, so they want to step down and prove they could do some damage to kimbo. After that display on the last elite xc i bet theres people on this board who could take kimbo in an mma fight if it went to the ground. however me having the reach of a t-rex and the weight of a wet bag of hair, i know it wouldnt be me.

but come on lindland, monson, tito, chuck, quit waving your dick around, we know you'd 'whoop that ass' but stick to real competition and trying to be the top of your game instead of taking a step back to steal some kids lunch money on the playground.

actually, your very right and very wrong. Kerry Joseph (CFL QB) could easily be a top 10 NFL QB no questions ask, and before you reply saying im a dumbshit watch him play. And it's not that the fighters are "calling him out" , there's still all this hype around kimbo and all they want to do IMO is show everyone that Slice should go back to the streets. As for you calling out tito lindland and monson, well they all recently had real hard fights (cept lindland, fighting negao soon). I don't how you can say that any of those guys are taking a step back... i guess im just confused by your post a little