Hand Wraps

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Hand Wraps
Ultimate_fighter
4/29/07 8:45:22PM
When I punch the bag, my wrists hurt cuz of how i put my hand wraps on, do u guys have any advice on how to wrap?
Svartorm
4/30/07 1:13:00AM
Do you mean you keep rolling your wrists? If thats the problem, work on your punching form and do some wrist strengthening excercises. Making fists and doing push ups with your hands next to your body, as opposed to out to the sides, will develop great wrist strength. Kettlebells also develop great wrist strength.
bayonetxwork
4/30/07 2:53:41PM

Posted by Ultimate_fighter

When I punch the bag, my wrists hurt cuz of how i put my hand wraps on, do u guys have any advice on how to wrap?

Technique brah.

Chances are your locking your elbow(s) on your punches which is a bad thing to do. Don't ever fully extend, because if you do a lot of pressure goes to your wrists, and you can also hyperextend your elbow, as a matter of fact watch Season 1 of the ultimate fighter and Forrest Griffin does that against Alex Shoenuaer

But if its not your technique, you just have to get a feel for them. I don't think you can really put wrist wraps on...wrong? But keep them as tight as possible without cutting off the circulation.
Ultimate_fighter
4/30/07 6:55:20PM

But keep them as tight as possible without cutting off the circulation.

I'll be sure of that
Svartorm
4/30/07 11:32:02PM

Posted by bayonetxwork
But if its not your technique, you just have to get a feel for them. I don't think you can really put wrist wraps on...wrong? But keep them as tight as possible without cutting off the circulation.

I can't think of a reason it wouldn't be technique, as you generally don't need wrist wraps if your form is good. I don't use any support except my glove, but thats mostly because my body swells when my blood gets up and they do cut off the circulation (so do the gloves, but theres not much I can do about that).

Also, what kind of bag are you hitting? If you're new to the game, I'd recommend staying away from serious heavy bags, and working on something a bit easier to deal with.
bayonetxwork
5/2/07 7:33:16PM

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by bayonetxwork

I can't think of a reason it wouldn't be technique, as you generally don't need wrist wraps if your form is good. I don't use any support except my glove, but thats mostly because my body swells when my blood gets up and they do cut off the circulation (so do the gloves, but theres not much I can do about that).

Also, what kind of bag are you hitting? If you're new to the game, I'd recommend staying away from serious heavy bags, and working on something a bit easier to deal with.

Yeah, I don't even use wraps unless I'm sparrying because throwing a body shot, and catching the side of someones hip hurts pretty bad But seriously Ultimate fighter, learn to keep your wrists straight, and snap them. Pushing them instead of snapping them puts more pressure on your wrists.

But like Svartorm said, don't go all out on the heavybag if your still learning. When I first started, my trainer and I worked A LOT of focus mitts, and shadow boxing. Now I'm not sure if your training at a gym or at your house, but if your at your house, the most important thing you should invest in(besides a bag/gloves/etc.) is a mirror, or if you want to, you can use a video camera to record. You need to see what you are doing in order to point out what your doing wrong.

However, here is a link to how to properly wrap, although I still don't think thats your problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMmEVQrAVjk