Hand Wraps

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Hand Wraps
blb8698
10/3/09 4:09:28PM
Just wondering if its better to et normal hand wraps or the hand wrap gloves? any advantages with either one? also wil they help me keep my wrist straight when punching?
telnights
10/3/09 6:00:32PM
Well I make my guys use real hand wraps because I have seen to many people hurt their hands using the glove type wraps. But that just me someone else may view it to other way around.
BelXavier420
10/3/09 9:02:03PM
Hitting the heavy bag and speed bag are the only "fighting" style training I have done. When hitting heavy bag I would always use wraps. If you don't you won't notice it so much while punching, but later you will pick something up and twist your wrist a certain way and that bone spur will hurt like hell. Also the wraps add enough cushion so you don't burst all the blood vessels in your hand making your fingers bleed and look nasty. Gloves of course help with this but it seems like if I only use gloves I have severe bone spurs, and ugly lines in my knuckles. Main point, use wrist wraps every time you are hitting a heavy bag! Although once you strengthen you hands and wrists you can do it with wraps alone.
Jackelope
10/4/09 3:54:53PM
Hand wrap gloves are just a little bit faster to put on. Some of them have a gel padding in them, and I guess that's nice.. but really you want to be concerned about the wrist, thumb, and the general snug fit of handwraps that keeps everything in line and safe for impact.

If you're doing extensive heavy bag work, mitt work, or sparring I'd say hand wraps all the way. If you're doing double bag drills or just light drilling then you could get away with the handwraps I suppose.
Nightmare27
10/4/09 9:20:57PM
Standard hand wraps are the way to go imo. Way better for the wrists, and I have and wear both. The wrap gloves do help the hands though.
Rush
10/4/09 9:22:48PM
Get the long hand wraps. I think they are sometimes called Mexican hand wraps
Svartorm
10/5/09 6:42:55PM
I just want to address the issue of wrist support. If you have solid structure in your strikes, you really shouldn't have too much trouble with rolling your wrist unless you're missing the center of the bag and landing a glancing blow. Having proper punch and wrist structure increases your punching power and overall wrist and hand health for the long haul, and its something I'd recommend working on.

Kettlebell excercises, which are covered in this training forum if you do a search, push ups where you're maintaining punching form, and judo/BJJ grappling and gripping will build your wrist and hand strength where you won't have an issue with rolling the wrist.
Rush
10/5/09 8:29:25PM

Posted by Svartorm

I just want to address the issue of wrist support. If you have solid structure in your strikes, you really shouldn't have too much trouble with rolling your wrist unless you're missing the center of the bag and landing a glancing blow. Having proper punch and wrist structure increases your punching power and overall wrist and hand health for the long haul, and its something I'd recommend working on.

Kettlebell excercises, which are covered in this training forum if you do a search, push ups where you're maintaining punching form, and judo/BJJ grappling and gripping will build your wrist and hand strength where you won't have an issue with rolling the wrist.

It's not the wrists, it's how you hold the pads.
bayonetxwork
10/6/09 11:55:22AM
Get the 180" hand wraps...it'll allow you to wrap your wrist very good, get your thumb and all your knuckles. However...an advantage to using the gloves since they aren't as stabalizing is if you ease your way into it while using the gloves it'll help build up natural tendon and muscle strength around the wrist which will help you out in the long run...but if your looking to jump into it...use the regular wraps.