UFC Hall of Fame debate

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC Hall of Fame debate
Mchubb316
4/21/08 6:29:52PM
The UFC's Hall of Fame is a short list. Partially due to the fact the UFC has not been around that long compared to the other big sports. They have inducted some fighters recently who are currently still fighting. Do you agree with the fact the UFC puts fighters in the HOF who currently compete, or do you think there should be a timetable after their retirement to be inducted? I think they should wait 3-5 years after retirement and then become eligable to enter the HOF. What should be some guidlines to look at when one considers to put someone in the HOF? Wins? Titles? Title defenses?
I think you should look at all time UFC wins, if they were a belt holder, and how many times did they succesfully defend the belt.
What do you guys think? Curious to see if anyone shares some of my thoughts on this subject.
Thanks in advance for the replies.
edge0125
4/21/08 6:41:55PM
i think Big John McCarthy deserves to be in the Hall of Fame
Mchubb316
4/21/08 6:43:23PM
Violence108
4/21/08 6:50:37PM
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
4/21/08 8:27:56PM
DLPark91TH
4/21/08 8:33:56PM

might as well keep the trend
Nacho
4/21/08 9:11:39PM
The UFC Hall of Fame seems pretty unofficial. No disrespect to the fighters in it, because they are deserving of recognition. I mean, who picks the fighters who are inducted? Dana? It would mean a lot more if the fighters all belonged to an association and did their own nominations and voting. This just seems like a pat on the back from DW.
warglory
4/21/08 9:28:09PM
I see nothing wrong with inducting active fighters if those fighters deserve to be inducted. If we waited 3-5 after retirement, it would be 3-5 years before we saw another entry. haha

I do agree with the comment that we should have some sort of governing body decide who should be inducted though.
The_Ho_Bag
4/21/08 9:32:42PM
Matt hughes -most dominate fighter ever in the WW division
backalley101
4/21/08 10:07:07PM

Posted by DLPark91TH

might as well keep the trend

puppetmaster837
4/21/08 10:23:01PM
I think the biggest factor should be title defenses. The hardest thing to do when you finally make it to the top is stay there.
koopa
4/21/08 10:40:44PM
cloppio
4/22/08 1:12:43AM

Posted by edge0125

i think Big John McCarthy deserves to be in the Hall of Fame

yeah there's no doubt about it in my mind. the guys as well known and maybe more well known then some of those in the hof.

i think it would be a real classy move by the ufc to put him in.
disorderlyvision
4/22/08 2:41:05AM
I think there needs to be an MMA hall of fame that is set up similar to baseball/football hall of fame
rice118
4/22/08 3:50:36AM

Posted by disorderlyvision

I think there needs to be an MMA hall of fame that is set up similar to baseball/football hall of fame

Jackelope
4/22/08 4:11:34AM
I don't think it should be based on wins/losses or belt defenses. I think it should be more about impact on the sport in a positive light. There are some guys who won't hold a title, or never held a title that have had a major impact on the recognition of the sport. At this point in the game, I think that's more important than anything else.
Tein_Lung
4/22/08 4:30:04AM
the UFC HOF means prtty much nothing... but it should be for people who had an impact on the sport... like Royce Gracie who showed the world BJJ... Mark Coleman the guy who basicaly invented ground and pound... you have Randy Coture who was the only guy to win belts at 2 weight classes (now BJ has done so)... i also thin they need to look at some of the pride fighters since price is now part of the ufc... Look as Sakuraba... the only guy to beat 4 gracies and he subbed 3 of them.. he won the HW tounry at Ultimate japan (over 200 pounds) when he weighed a buck 80 and was a pro wrestler at the time.

They need to do something to make the HOF more credibal.. as of right now it means nothing you just got this price of plastic that say UFC on it
koopa
4/22/08 10:53:32AM

Posted by Jackelope

I don't think it should be based on wins/losses or belt defenses. I think it should be more about impact on the sport in a positive light. There are some guys who won't hold a title, or never held a title that have had a major impact on the recognition of the sport. At this point in the game, I think that's more important than anything else.

tomp6581
4/22/08 11:25:28AM
If you take away all the politics....looking at the history of UFC, who's name cannot be ignored. I would say..

Frank Shamrock
Matt Hughes
Chuck Liddell
Tito Ortiz
Don Frye
Tank Abbott
Big John Mcarthy

Im sure there are more but that is all I can think of at the moment.
tepid55
4/22/08 11:48:34AM
Here are the fighters that I would have in the UFC Hall of Fame.

Royce Gracie
Dan Severn
Randy Couture
Mark Coleman
Steve Jenum
Oleg Taktarov
Marco Ruas
Chuck Liddell
Tito Ortiz
Murilo Bustamante
Matt Hughes
Josh Barnett
Ricco Rodriguez
Jens Pulver
Hurricane_Brad
4/22/08 5:01:07PM
I think that fighters should be inducted after they retire. I don't think I agree with the way the UFC seems to use it to promote one-sided matchups with aging veterans against younger stars.
Pitbull09
4/22/08 7:35:48PM

Posted by puppetmaster837

I think the biggest factor should be title defenses. The hardest thing to do when you finally make it to the top is stay there.

I think thats why Hughes and Liddel are guarenteed.
Its not jsut title defenses though, its how they did in the big fights. Chuck shined in prob the biggest fight of his life (liddel vs wanderlei) and Hughes proved that the asport progressed with a win over Gracie and one over GSP before passing the torch.

To say its jsut title defenses would limit the inductees a lot. Couture def shouldnt be in it if its thought that way. I still dont think A Silva has solidified his spot just yet either.

Imo, the 3 guys who still need in are:
Pat Miletich (Before we were watching Hughes dominate this guy was with a well balanced style. He also coached Sylvia, Hughes, and Franklin all when they were champs. Thats a great trainer if you ask me)
Matt Hughes (Dominated every fight til GSP came. Owned Trigg twice even after taking a groin shot and a rear naked choke during the fight. His style may have been more one dimesional than fighters today but he sure destroyed using his wrestling.)
Chuck Liddell (No doubt in my mind. This guy has brought in the biggest money for UFC with the Liddell/ Couture trilogy and by dominating the division by beating Ortiz (x2) and (Babalu x2), not to mention his recent fight with Silva.)

Other possibilities-
Jens Pulvers (I dont think he's guarenteed but he does deserve it. He made the lightweight division and beat Penn when no one thought he could.)

Tito Ortiz (Another possibility. He was a great champ before Chuck and has a win over Wanderlei also.)

B.J. Penn (If he is successful in the lightweight division and can become champ plus beat Sherk, hes guarenteed a spot.)

Anderson Silva (A few more wins and its not even debatable)

Pitbull09
4/22/08 7:43:59PM

Posted by tepid55

Royce Gracie
Dan Severn
Randy Couture
Mark Coleman
Steve Jenum
Oleg Taktarov
Marco Ruas
Chuck Liddell
Tito Ortiz
Murilo Bustamante
Matt Hughes
Josh Barnett
Ricco Rodriguez
Jens Pulver

A guy who used roids as champ then left the org soon after will prob never make the hall of fame. If it was a Pride HoF I would put him in though
fonduktoe
4/23/08 4:27:02AM

Posted by tepid55

Royce Gracie
Dan Severn
Randy Couture
Mark Coleman
Steve Jenum
Oleg Taktarov
Marco Ruas
Chuck Liddell
Tito Ortiz
Murilo Bustamante
Matt Hughes
Josh Barnett
Ricco Rodriguez
Jens Pulver

how about tamden mcrory or elvis sinosic
wait... ross pointon
come on man be selective to the point where it actually means something
gskyprodigy
4/23/08 10:40:17AM
.....put big john in, kick couture out .....
jgtribbett
4/23/08 7:25:47PM
1. Makes a Durastic impact on MMA/UFC (Royce, Ken, even Big Jon)
2 . A personality that defines UFC for a time and you cannot see it without. (Liddel, Big Jon, Dana)
3. And/or Wins, title defenses.. and honestly some kinda fan poll or something. idk.. but like.. couture. liddel, tito, bj, hughes, etc.. yyou see waht i mean..
if the none MMA fan knows who they are.. they probably belong there.