UFC Hall Of Fame Additions

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC Hall Of Fame Additions
tberg420
3/22/09 7:04:47PM
Hey everyone. I'm doing a little research for my next article and it's going to be about who the UFC should elect into their Hall Of Fame next. I know that the UFC usually does one person at a time but I'm looking for 5. I prefer to elect some older fighters that might not be in the UFC anymore but I'm willing to talk about the guys that have a solid reputation i.e. Matt Hughes. Here are just some of the names that I'm looking at. Please vote or just list the guys that you want to be included and the ones with the highest votes will be elected in my fictional HOF. I will be writing the article tomorrow (Monday) so I hope that gives everyone enough time to talk about this.

Current UFC Hall Of Famers
Dan Severn
Mark Coleman
Ken Shamrock
Royce Gracie
Randy Couture

Guys that I think should be in
Frank Shamrock
Tito Ortiz
Matt Hughes
Pat Miletich
Kimo
Jens Pulver
Carlos Newton
Pedro Rizzo
Kevin Randleman
Maurice Smith
Kazushi Sakuraba
Vitor Belfort
Tank Abbott
Mark Kerr
Don Frye
Evan Tanner
Oleg Taktarov

Is there anyone else that people can think of? Remember it's only 5 that will make the HOF with votes. Make them count!!
grappler0000
3/22/09 7:18:15PM
I think 3 more possibilities would be:

Don Frye
Evan Tanner
Oleg Taktarov

Considering that there's probably politics involved with the selections, I'd say that Hughes and Liddell are the closest to being inducted, assuming they retire soon. If not, I'd say Don Frye (assuming he can be on good terms with Zuffa), Maurice Smith, and Oleg Taktarov.
tberg420
3/22/09 7:51:25PM
I meant to include Don Frye. I could see him fighting one more time inside the Octagon as well. The other two that you have listed are excellent as well and I will include them on the list. Thanks so much!!
Violence108
3/22/09 7:59:55PM
Frank Shamrock
Matt Hughes
Evan Tanner

Mchubb316
3/22/09 8:06:53PM
I think Liddell and Hughes are a lock for the HOF. Based on some of the names you mentioned, guys who could get in and should, based on performance in the UFC in my opinion are, Tim Sylvia (8-4, HW Champ), Andrei Arlovski (10-4, HW Champ), Evan Tanner (11-6, MW Champ)

I would not have these guys from your list in, Kimo Leopoldo (1-4), Kevin Randleman (4-3), Kazushi Sakuraba (1-0-1)

I also think there should be a grace period in to which fighters are inducted. Let the fighters stay retired for 3-5 years, and then have a proper ceremony where fans can appreciate their careers. Just a few thoughts.

Good luck on the article.
DangerousDjohn
3/22/09 8:11:05PM
Jon Jones!
tberg420
3/22/09 8:20:20PM

Posted by Mchubb316

I think Liddell and Hughes are a lock for the HOF. Based on some of the names you mentioned, guys who could get in and should, based on performance in the UFC in my opinion are, Tim Sylvia (8-4, HW Champ), Andrei Arlovski (10-4, HW Champ), Evan Tanner (11-6, MW Champ)

I would not have these guys from your list in, Kimo Leopoldo (1-4), Kevin Randleman (4-3), Kazushi Sakuraba (1-0-1)

I also think there should be a grace period in to which fighters are inducted. Let the fighters stay retired for 3-5 years, and then have a proper ceremony where fans can appreciate their careers. Just a few thoughts.

Good luck on the article.

Sylvia and Arlovski won't get a sniff because of the politics. Obviously the same could be said about Ortiz as well but he's a huge part of foundation of the UFC. Kimo was mentioned just for mentioning as he's an older name and I just wanted to give people a variety to choose from. I think that Sakuraba could be in because he won one of the Japan tournaments and Randleman is a former Heavyweight Champion if that means much. The grace period is a great idea but MMA fighters are very much like boxers or wrestlers and they might not always stay retired. It's certainly hard to imagine someone like Hughes or Liddell retiring and then passing up a huge payday sometime down the road. I appreciate your feedback!!
Tein_Lung
3/22/09 8:49:00PM
i don't think Dana will allow Frank or Tito to get inducted simply because of old grudges...

i think Sakuraba should be inducted myself... that guy lived and breathed the "i will fight anyone" mentality for years in pride... and won the over 200 pound tounamant when he weighed 180 pounds...
bls1919
3/22/09 9:36:58PM
WAR OLEG and TANK!!!!!!
Amigop
3/22/09 10:04:09PM
I was thinking on top of the ufc HoF zuffa should try to incorperate(sp?) a Pride HoF That could include

Hendo
Wand
Fedor(never gonna happen)
Gomi
Cro Cop
and other legends from Pride.
JimiMak
3/22/09 10:15:39PM
Oleg, Rizzo, Sak, Tank and Evan. Eventually most of those names deserve to get in.
SpiderSilva
3/23/09 12:01:36AM
After Anderson Silva sets the record for most wins in a row he is a lock hell he is already one IMO

WINS-8

LOSS-0

Edit: Knock on wood
prozacnation1978
3/23/09 1:04:09AM
evan tanner a lock
matt hughes

and i would say tank abbott or frank shamrock

for know i think tanner needs to go in,,
tberg420
3/23/09 11:54:51AM
Any chance that maybe someone like John McCarthy, or Greg Jackson get inducted as well? I think that I'm going to pitch the idea of the HOF being more like the MLB HOF where more then just fighters can be inducted.
Aaronno9
3/23/09 12:21:36PM
Hughes
Chuck
Jens
Tito
cowcatcher
3/23/09 12:39:03PM
oleg
miletich
tank
frank s.
tanner
hughes
liddell
rizzo
tito
bls1919
3/23/09 7:17:38PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

After Anderson Silva sets the record for most wins in a row he is a lock hell he is already one IMO

WINS-8

LOSS-0

Edit: Knock on wood

Silva will go down as the greatest champion ever in UFC history. Yes i believe he will hold too belts, only with a lot les losses than Randy. And surpass Randy as The Ultimate Ultimate Fighter!!
chickmagnet
3/24/09 1:21:58AM

Posted by tberg420

Hey everyone. I'm doing a little research for my next article and it's going to be about who the UFC should elect into their Hall Of Fame next. I know that the UFC usually does one person at a time but I'm looking for 5. I prefer to elect some older fighters that might not be in the UFC anymore but I'm willing to talk about the guys that have a solid reputation i.e. Matt Hughes. Here are just some of the names that I'm looking at. Please vote or just list the guys that you want to be included and the ones with the highest votes will be elected in my fictional HOF. I will be writing the article tomorrow (Monday) so I hope that gives everyone enough time to talk about this.

Current UFC Hall Of Famers
Dan Severn
Mark Coleman
Ken Shamrock
Royce Gracie
Randy Couture

Guys that I think should be in
Frank Shamrock
Tito Ortiz
Matt Hughes
Pat Miletich
Kimo
Jens Pulver
Carlos Newton
Pedro Rizzo
Kevin Randleman
Maurice Smith
Kazushi Sakuraba
Vitor Belfort
Tank Abbott
Mark Kerr
Don Frye
Evan Tanner
Oleg Taktarov

Is there anyone else that people can think of? Remember it's only 5 that will make the HOF with votes. Make them count!!

Chuck Liddell??? He beat Belfort, Randleman and Ortiz twice. he should probably be on there
Mr_Dead_Sexy
3/24/09 1:23:25AM
It's a bit late, so I'm going to throw some stranger suggestions out.

Fighters -
Tanner (17 total UFC fights, former MW champ, and arguably, the most likable, most relatable fighter out there. Easily had the biggest cult following of any MMA fighter out there. Sadly, his passing will factor in, too. RIP Tanner.)

Miletich (When the UFC was becoming more mainstream, the words "Miletich Fighting System" gave any opponent chills. Easily the best camp for a good portion of UFC's existence, producing 1 sure fire HOF'er in Hughes, and a bubble HOF'er in Sylvia. Plus, Pat was no slouch as a fighter either)

Timmy (8-4, 2x champ, never losing to anyone ranked outside of the top 10. Was among the most hated UFC fighters ever, yes, but he was still in 8 fights in which he was challenging for/defending the HW title. Nothing to sneeze at.)

Non Fighters -
Bruce Buffer (If he was taken out and replaced tomorrow, there would be a ruckus over it for sure. He's been around for the long haul, and even though announcing is a thankless job, lets give the guy his dues.)

"Big" John McCarthy (No real explanation needed, I don't think)

Charles "Mask" Lewis (Again, inducting someone posthumously is always a touchy subject, but he had credentials. TapouT and the UFC have gone hand in hand for years. Love him or hate him, there is not a company that did more to bring young fighters to the forefront. Plus, he was on the cover of UFC Sudden Impact. Bad as that game was, that has to account for something.)