UFC Hall of Fame

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » UFC Hall of Fame
ohiostate1016
10/30/07 2:18:18PM
Currently, the UFC Hall of Fame has 4 members, and all are fighters from the early days of the UFC: Royce Gracie, Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn, and Randy Couture.

My question: Who is the next person that should be inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame? This is not limited to fighters, and you can say more than one guy. But please back your opinions up. Below is a brainstorm list of guys that I think could be considered, but feel free to add your own:

"Big" John McCarthy (referee)

Dana White (UFC President)

Bruce Buffer (ring announcer)

Mike Goldberg (TV announcer)

Oleg "The Russian Bear" Taktarov (fighter-UFC 6 Champ)

"The Croatian Sensation" Pat Miletich (fighter, trainer-UFC 16 170-pound tourney champ)

"The King of the Streets" Marco Ruas (fighter-UFC 7 Champ)

Mark "The Hammer" Coleman (fighter-UFC 10 and 11 Champ, first UFC HW champ)

Don "The Predator" Frye (fighter-UFC 8 Champ, UU 96 Champ)

David "Tank" Abbott (fighter-UFC 6 Finalist)

roadking95th
10/30/07 2:26:02PM
I believe the next inductee will either be Matt Hughes or Chuck Liddell, just depending on who retires first.
cowcatcher
10/30/07 2:32:52PM

Posted by roadking95th

I believe the next inductee will either be Matt Hughes or Chuck Liddell, just depending on who retires first.

exactly, no need to expand on this
grappler0000
10/30/07 3:01:57PM
ohiostate1016
10/30/07 5:05:04PM

Posted by roadking95th

You don't think that any of the guys on my list deserve to go in???

I know that Hughes and Liddell will go in, but are there any other guys still active that you think will go in?

This was originally intended to be a forum to talk about the HoF...not to just say "Hughes or Liddell," and leave it at that...
JWils
10/30/07 5:35:55PM
I would say that Tito Ortiz should be considered in the near future. It probably depends on how long he fights.

To answer your question, If I had to vote for 1 of the guys on your list, I would say Coleman.
BigEvil
10/30/07 6:07:07PM
I would say Pat Miletich should defenitly be the next guy. Not only was he one of the most dominate fighters of his time (any old school UFC fan knows) but he has also become one of the best trainers. Not to mention everything i have read about the guy leads me to believe he is a quility stand up guy. Liddell and Hughes will get their chance eventually once they have been retired a few years but you gotta give it Miletich now.
spikerman19
10/30/07 6:40:26PM
Tank Abbot ??
Darnok
10/30/07 6:44:07PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

Currently, the UFC Hall of Fame has 4 members, and all are fighters from the early days of the UFC: Royce Gracie, Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn, and Randy Couture.

My question: Who is the next person that should be inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame? This is not limited to fighters, and you can say more than one guy. But please back your opinions up. Below is a brainstorm list of guys that I think could be considered, but feel free to add your own:

"Big" John McCarthy (referee)

Dana White (UFC President)

Bruce Buffer (ring announcer)

Mike Goldberg (TV announcer)

Oleg "The Russian Bear" Taktarov (fighter-UFC 6 Champ)

"The Croatian Sensation" Pat Miletich (fighter, trainer-UFC 16 170-pound tourney champ)

"The King of the Streets" Marco Ruas (fighter-UFC 7 Champ)

Mark "The Hammer" Coleman (fighter-UFC 10 and 11 Champ, first UFC HW champ)

Don "The Predator" Frye (fighter-UFC 8 Champ, UU 96 Champ)

David "Tank" Abbott (fighter-UFC 6 Finalist)

I think all of the above except Dana. Owners are not considered. But besides that I think the list you have is excellent.
loonytnt
10/30/07 7:10:12PM
Dana no way imo, Tank i think so not because he is a good fight but because back in the day he one one of the few UFC fighter people know and loved, Pat, i dont think so, he was a good fighter but a coach going into the hall of fame hmm not yet i can see it a long time from now but top guys dont just train with one camp.

i think the next one to go in should be Chuck, i think he is getting to the end of his road and will retire before matt. but just to throw a name out there, what about Rich, he did well for himself
Taylor8766
10/30/07 7:10:30PM
I think that Big John is a for sure Hall of Famer, he was there since UFC1 and is the best ref in the business, other than that it would have to be Tito Ortiz, he was champ for a long time and was the first one to win the LHW title.
NatedawgThaM
10/30/07 7:28:05PM
Oleg who? He hasn't done crap since UFC 6 he ain't getting in. Don Frye ain't going in IMO I don't know how to explain. Tank ain't getting in because corect me if I'm wrong he never won the UFC Heavyweight title. I doubt Pat Millitech gets in either. He's a big part of the IFL.

I would say Bas Ruttan and & Maurice Smith should go in but they are a big thing in the IFL too. I don't know if he wants to be but Frank Sharock SHOULD be in there. He was a great as Fedor back in his prime.

I think Tito,Chuck, Matt will ALL get in the UFC, it just depends who retires when. All 3 were poster boys for there division.

I agree with all the rest should get in. What about Kevin Randleman? IMO he should be in there. Former HW champ. Great fight with Randy. Beat Maurice Smith.

That's just my opinion...
puppetmaster837
10/30/07 7:55:53PM
I know he never will be but Frank Shamrock. First LHW title holder, had 4 defenses and left the UFC with the belt. He beat Tito Ortiz in his prime and Jeremy Horn.
ChokeUout
10/30/07 11:45:04PM
I think Matt Hughes and Chuck Liddell are No-Brainers for the Hall of Fame. I think Tito SHOULD be a No-Brainer too, and I hope Dana White can put his differences with Tito Aside and Realize he Deserves it as much as anyone. Same for Big John. ANd I'd be down for Miletech, too.

As for the Ones who won TOurneys long ago, I don't think Winning one tourney is grounds for the hall of fame. Royce was from the old day, but he won 3 tourneys and pretty much helped mold the sport into what it is today, that's why He's in.

Coleman and Frye have a case, but if they haven't made it yet, I doubt they will.

One Name I'd like to throw out there is TIm Sylvia. I KNOW, I KNOW...Lately he has been anything but an exciting fighter to watch, but he's got some serious highlight reel knockouts, as well as being a two time Heavyweight champ with 3 title defences. Now I'll admit, I'm not really a big Tim Sylvia Fan, but I Respect what He's accomplished. That being said, With Probably Randy Done fighting in the UFC, If Tim gets the title back, I don't see any way to keep a 3 time champ out of the hall of fame.

Me and my buddy discussed this, and he disagrees with me on Big TIm. Thoughts?
grappler0000
10/31/07 12:54:05AM

Posted by Taylor8766

I think that Big John is a for sure Hall of Famer, he was there since UFC1 and is the best ref in the business, other than that it would have to be Tito Ortiz, he was champ for a long time and was the first one to win the LHW title.

UFC 2
mrliquid
10/31/07 9:47:56AM
I think that Don Frye and Pat Miletich will def be in the HOF but it depends on what people look at, time in the ufc or do they look at a dominate career in the ufc chuck has been dominate his whole career so if thats the base than he will be in the HOF for sure I would like to see Bj Penn in there some day.
TNunley
10/31/07 11:22:18AM

Posted by BigEvil

I would say Pat Miletich should defenitly be the next guy. Not only was he one of the most dominate fighters of his time (any old school UFC fan knows) but he has also become one of the best trainers. Not to mention everything i have read about the guy leads me to believe he is a quility stand up guy. Liddell and Hughes will get their chance eventually once they have been retired a few years but you gotta give it Miletich now.

I would have to disagree in part with you... Not necessarily that he should be inducted into the hall of fame, but of him being the one of the most diminant fighters of his time.... he was 8-2 in the UFC and defended his title 4 times... definitely a great fighter, but I don't know that I would call him one of the most dominant.
thepunisher
10/31/07 11:29:40AM
Anyone notice that every guy in the UFC hall of fame has or really wants nothing to do with the UFC anymore
Rich78
10/31/07 11:53:23AM
I know that on UFC 45, they held an awards ceremony to give 'fan choice' awards to the fighters who were the most popular in the early days. I think this could well have been UFCs way of rewarding these fighters, without ACTUALLY having to induct them into the HOF. For the record, these fighters were... Royce Gracie, Ken Shamrock, Randy Couture, Tank Abbott, Mark Coleman, Pat Miletich, Marco Ruas, Dan Severn, Don Frye and Oleg Taktarov.
BigEvil
10/31/07 12:03:37PM

Posted by TNunley

Posted by BigEvil

I would have to disagree in part with you... Not necessarily that he should be inducted into the hall of fame, but of him being the one of the most diminant fighters of his time.... he was 8-2 in the UFC and defended his title 4 times... definitely a great fighter, but I don't know that I would call him one of the most dominant.

Excellent point, I shouldn't have used the word dominant.

Also guys remember this is the UFC hall of fame not the MMA hall of fame.
backalley101
11/1/07 1:07:19AM
Ken Shamrock Miletich hell Couture
atlas777
11/1/07 11:00:37AM
Matt Hughes will be the next to go in. Big John deserves to go in also he is the best referee in MMA. Tito Ortiz will never make it in the latter of his career is not filled with many big wins, and dont forget Dana White hates Tito Ortiz he will never get into the hall of fame in my opinion.
ohiostate1016
11/1/07 11:20:59AM
One thing that some people are forgetting (and I'm guilty of this, too) is that the UFC now owns Pride. Does that mean that they have to consider those guys too? If so, then guys like Wanderlei Silva could be added, and guys like Coleman and Randleman would be mortal locks. What about Rampage???
Khaos
11/1/07 7:16:38PM
The next inductee? should be Frank Shamrock,5-0 in the UFC,Undefeated Middleweight(Light Heavy) champ.Current Strikeforce Middleweight champ.
ChokeUout
11/1/07 10:25:51PM
Wait a minute...

Did That first post have MIKE GOLDBERG as deserving to be in the Hall of Fame?

LMAO!

That's guy's such a fricken retard. Out of all the people to give a microphone and say "go Commentate our fight" Why the hell did they chose him?
mkiv9secsupra
11/3/07 11:43:30AM
Im not understanding why a commentator or referee would EVER be inducted to a hall of fame?!