Hall of Fame

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Hall of Fame
Next Page »
loonytnt
10/18/07 5:00:48PM
does anyone think that Tank should be in the UFC hall of fame?

imo i think he does, if you think back i say he was one of the hardest hitter back then. and so many people liked him(and hated him) but this guys was a beast and helped make mma what it is today, tank helped make the mma KO
nubby
10/18/07 5:02:21PM

Posted by loonytnt

imo i think he does, if you think back i say he was one of the hardest hitter back then. and so many people liked him(and hated him) but this guys was a beast and helped make mma what it is today, tank helped make the mma KO

He had like one good showing where he knocked out some guy really fast by rushing him. It was impressive then but looking back it was garbage.
jgordon85
10/18/07 5:12:39PM
i think he should. not for his good talent but he is like a founding father and had many good classic battles. like the match with him and don frye
tuvok500
10/18/07 5:27:35PM

Posted by loonytnt

well, i don't think so.

by judjing of who is a all of fame now, it is almost only great champ and guys who were very good ambassador. well they are only 4 so...

pv3Hpv3p
10/18/07 6:39:05PM

Posted by nubby

Posted by loonytnt

He had like one good showing where he knocked out some guy really fast by rushing him. It was impressive then but looking back it was garbage.

If you look back at a lot of, ummm let's say, Rocky Marciano fights... They are not all technically brilliant, and some come out looking like out-and-out brawls...

With that being said, I'm just gonna shut my mouth cause I think I just compared Rocky Marciano to Tank Abbott
warglory
10/18/07 7:03:08PM
No, just because Tank happened to take part in the early days of the UFC and had a mild amount of success, that doesn't mean he is elite enough to have achieved hall of fame status. I am a big fan of Oleg Taktarov's work in the early UFC, as with Ruas, but I don't think either of them should be hall of famers either.
Rush
10/18/07 7:22:12PM

Posted by warglory

No, just because Tank happened to take part in the early days of the UFC and had a mild amount of success, that doesn't mean he is elite enough to have achieved hall of fame status. I am a big fan of Oleg Taktarov's work in the early UFC, as with Ruas, but I don't think either of them should be hall of famers either.

Yeah this is pretty much true. I think to be in the HOF, you needed to win either more than one event (tourny, superfight and/or ultimate ultimate) in the early days or hold your title for at least 2 or 3 defenses.

Tank should not be in the HOF.

examples of whom I think HOFers should be

Royce
Severn
Shamrock
Hughes
Liddell
Randy
Sherk
Coleman
Tito
Frank Shamrock
Vitor
BJ Penn
Miletich

Maybe or not quite yet
Anderson Silva
GSP
Franklin
Rampage
Mark Kerr
other one time champions

I don't think you can put a guy in the UFC hall of fame if he had a couple good fights in the UFC that is it. Likewise, I don't think anyone should be in there if they haven't won a title either. Third, guys like Sakuraba, that had some success in the octagon, are not synonymous with the UFC and shouldn't be in either. TUF champions should not get a free pass to the HOF either without winning at least one title in their career.
mkiv9secsupra
10/18/07 7:45:42PM
The hall of fame is for people who revolutionized or dominated the mma game..... Tank still has yet to dominate or even adapt for that matter.
warglory
10/18/07 7:45:50PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by warglory

Yeah this is pretty much true. I think to be in the HOF, you needed to win either more than one event (tourny, superfight and/or ultimate ultimate) in the early days or hold your title for at least 2 or 3 defenses.

Tank should not be in the HOF.

examples of whom I think HOFers should be

Royce
Severn
Shamrock
Hughes
Liddell
Randy
Sherk
Coleman
Tito
Frank Shamrock
Vitor
BJ Penn
Miletich

Maybe or not quite yet
Anderson Silva
GSP
Franklin
Rampage
Mark Kerr
other one time champions

I don't think you can put a guy in the UFC hall of fame if he had a couple good fights in the UFC that is it. Likewise, I don't think anyone should be in there if they haven't won a title either. Third, guys like Sakuraba, that had some success in the octagon, are not synonymous with the UFC and shouldn't be in either. TUF champions should not get a free pass to the HOF either without winning at least one title in their career.

I would agree with just about your entire list, good job. However, I don't think Vitor or Kerr should be on those lists. However, everyone else on there should be there now or in the future.
D0wnUnd6e6r
10/18/07 7:46:50PM
I think FRANK shamrock should be in the HOF and NOT KEN for one simple reason. Ken cannot fight anymore, and he couldnt fight anymore 2 or even 3 years ago. A HOF is one who you respect and one you see as a mentor or king of the whole thing i think... Ken shamrock did not demonstrate that at all (plus, do I need to mention he's been in WWE like come on) , sure at some point maybe was the sorta king but fell down from the thrown pretty quickly and has never been able to climb back up. To me he'll always been Frank's brother, brother of a HOF'er. Now even if this post if not about the Shamrocks I felt I had to express that my thoughts. Frank IN Ken OUT.

Anyways coming back to the original topic, no I do not think Tank should be in the UFC HOF

ps. and i'm not sure if Rampage is HOF quality, don't get me wrong i'm a huge fan, it's just I don't know...Rampage...HOF... doesn't seem right
mkiv9secsupra
10/18/07 7:52:56PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

I think FRANK shamrock should be in the HOF and NOT KEN for one simple reason. Ken cannot fight anymore, and he couldnt fight anymore 2 or even 3 years ago. A HOF is one who you respect and one you see as a mentor or king of the whole thing i think... Ken shamrock did not demonstrate that at all (plus, do I need to mention he's been in WWE like come on) , sure at some point maybe was the sorta king but fell down from the thrown pretty quickly and has never been able to climb back up. To me he'll always been Frank's brother, brother of a HOF'er. Now even if this post if not about the Shamrocks I felt I had to express that my thoughts. Frank IN Ken OUT.

Anyways coming back to the original topic, no I do not think Tank should be in the UFC HOF

Ken was a powerful hitter and a great grappler. One of the first pretty well rounded guys. Hes still a great coach. For those reasons he is in the HOF.

Frank...... beat Tito....and not much more.
D0wnUnd6e6r
10/18/07 7:57:19PM
so for being a powerfull hitter and good grappler you get to be in the HOF??? a great coach??? Did you even watch 1 episode of TUF 3??? ''Oh yeah your'e a scrapper ground n' pound man that's all you need'' same speech to all of his fighters. I don't dislike Ken I just don't think he's HOF
mkiv9secsupra
10/18/07 8:01:09PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

so for being a powerfull hitter and good grappler you get to be in the HOF??? a great coach??? Did you even watch 1 episode of TUF 3??? ''Oh yeah your'e a scrapper ground n' pound man that's all you need'' same speech to all of his fighters. I don't dislike Ken I just don't think he's HOF

He was one of the first guys to develop more than one aspect of MMA. He could strike, wrestle and submit you. You cant discredit his coaching. Tito is obviously a badass coach and had Ken's number. Titos camp is great for developing your game further but he could never teach the all round skills Ken can.
D0wnUnd6e6r
10/18/07 8:03:57PM
Totally agree Tito couldnt teach the skills ken would, but u gotta give me that Ken couldnt teach the what Tito can bring to the cage either...
mkiv9secsupra
10/18/07 8:06:28PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Totally agree Tito couldnt teach the skills ken would, but u gotta give me that Ken couldnt teach the what Tito can bring to the cage either...

Yeah they both have their strengths. Titos wrestling and conditioning is far beyond Ken but Ken was the better striker and sub fighter. IMO Tito will be a Hall of Famer someday.
Rush
10/18/07 8:36:13PM

Posted by warglory

I would agree with just about your entire list, good job. However, I don't think Vitor or Kerr should be on those lists. However, everyone else on there should be there now or in the future.

I put Kerr on the maybe list due to the fact that his opposition has always been questioned with respect to their skill.

Vitor however, has wona tournament and the title. He also won a superfight, but I can't count that. His losses in the UFC are only to Randy, Chuck and Tito. The Chuck and Tito fights were pretty close if you ask me.

His record overall is not a bad record and I think he gets more flak than he deserves. Just because he isn't knocking guys out in less than 1 min. like he used to doesn't mean he isn't still a quality fighter.
Pitbull09
10/18/07 9:51:15PM
i dont think he made mma what it is todya at all. Unless you count the guys gracie owned in the ring with BBJ to prove that styles matter. Tank was a street fighter and didnt learn crap about mma.

Future hall of famers
Matt Hughes
BJ Penn

Maybe Silva if he stays, he could dominate that division if he gets past franklin. Pierre could too.
grappler0000
10/18/07 9:57:25PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

ps. and i'm not sure if Rampage is HOF quality, don't get me wrong i'm a huge fan, it's just I don't know...Rampage...HOF... doesn't seem right

LOL...not everyone is like Randy you know. Frank is much younger than Ken, which is one of the biggest reasons why Ken is no longer to compete at a high level. Ken was the first true mixed martial artist to walk into the Octagon. Not only was he a pioneer, but he was probably the best in the business during the mid 90's. The fact that he did some pro-wrestling for while really has no bearing on whether he is HOF material...FYI so did Dan Severn, Tank, and many others in the Japanese circuit. Part of the reason he did the transition to the WWE in the first place was due to an injury that would of made it difficult to fight. Just because Ken can't fight competitively in his mid-40's doesn't mean a damn thing...as very few can...in fact Randy is the only one that comes to mind. Severn still fights in the smaller circuit with some success, but that's not really the same. Royce isn't exactly in the running for any titles these days. So, I guess unless you just started watching MMA in the last few years, I don't understand where you are coming from.
warglory
10/18/07 10:10:52PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

LOL...not everyone is like Randy you know. Frank is much younger than Ken, which is one of the biggest reasons why Ken is no longer to compete at a high level. Ken was the first true mixed martial artist to walk into the Octagon. Not only was he a pioneer, but he was probably the best in the business during the mid 90's. The fact that he did some pro-wrestling for while really has no bearing on whether he is HOF material...FYI so did Dan Severn, Tank, and many others in the Japanese circuit. Part of the reason he did the transition to the WWE in the first place was due to an injury that would of made it difficult to fight. Just because Ken can't fight competitively in his mid-40's doesn't mean a damn thing...as very few can...in fact Randy is the only one that comes to mind. Severn still fights in the smaller circuit with some success, but that's not really the same. Royce isn't exactly in the running for any titles these days. So, I guess unless you just started watching MMA in the last few years, I don't understand where you are coming from.

You basically summed this up.
jiujitsufreak74
10/18/07 10:38:40PM
Back on the topic of tank, i do not believe he should be in te hall of fame. he is 4-9 in the UFC and he only won fights in the beginning with brute strength. he is the exact opposite of a mixed martial artist and is just a street brawler, said so himself. so i think he was exciting to watch, but 4-9 doesn't get you in the hall of fame by any means.

To go ff on another tangent...i think that matt hughes should go into the hall of fame when he retires, same with chuck. both of those men were the two most dominant champions the ufc ever had. If anderson keeps up this tyrade, then i can see him going into the HOF as well. As of now, i can see Pedro Rizzo making it into the HOF (9-5 against the UFC's best, including wins over AA and barnett), but i don't see that happening.
Aaronno9
10/18/07 10:50:50PM
No way should tank be in the hall of fame, at the end of the day, hes not a mixed martial artist, hes just a brawler with a shit load of power. I agree that chuck and hughes should be in the HOF though, i think they both played a huge part in making mma and the ufc in paticular as succesfull in the mainstream as it is, and were both awesome dominant champs for a long time!
D0wnUnd6e6r
10/18/07 11:07:33PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

LOL...not everyone is like Randy you know. Frank is much younger than Ken, which is one of the biggest reasons why Ken is no longer to compete at a high level. Ken was the first true mixed martial artist to walk into the Octagon. Not only was he a pioneer, but he was probably the best in the business during the mid 90's. The fact that he did some pro-wrestling for while really has no bearing on whether he is HOF material...FYI so did Dan Severn, Tank, and many others in the Japanese circuit. Part of the reason he did the transition to the WWE in the first place was due to an injury that would of made it difficult to fight. Just because Ken can't fight competitively in his mid-40's doesn't mean a damn thing...as very few can...in fact Randy is the only one that comes to mind. Severn still fights in the smaller circuit with some success, but that's not really the same. Royce isn't exact y in the running for any titles these days. So, I guess unless you just started watching MMA in the last few years, I don't understand where you are coming from.

I understand all of this, all of what your saying, iv'e been watching the Ufc since UFC 13 honestly so no I am not a did not start watching it a few years ago. Not cause you watched mma since UFC 1 that u know everyhting ya know. this gets on my nerves sometimes. Someone who is considered to be in the HOF has to have had a great career, begining to end, Ken sure started the whole thing like a champ, but pushed his luck and finished off in a ugly way, and no one can say otherwise or they'd be lying. Here is the only reason why I think he shouldnt be in the HOF. His win over Kimo meens nothing to me really by the way... He knew he couldnt compete no more, he knew it the first time vs tito and the 2nd time. He also knew it when he lost to Franklin and that's where for me he wouldve retired with respect. Shamrock shouldve stopped in 02 best case scenario, pushing it beyond the Frankling fight was just too much for me tho...sorry
postman
10/19/07 12:10:23AM
First off Jerry Rice, Emmit Smith, Franco Harris just to name a few are all NFL guys who held on too long and where not on top to end their carrers. I would have so say they all deserve to be in the Hall. Call it selling out or what ever you want to call it but feeding your family comes first, Ken was offred more money than he could have dreamed of to go the WWF. Last l think Ken getting Koed by Rich and Tito helped the sport along greatly, everyone outside of MMA knew Ken as "THE WORLDS MOST DANGEROUS MAN" but then they see Rich and Tito bust him up it drew lots of new fans. So even in his "Shameful " end of his career losses drew new fans in.

I don't think so for Tank.
loonytnt
10/19/07 12:16:43AM
so no on tank well i still think he should be in there, if you said cage fightin back in the day tanks name came up, he will be one of my fav fighter for a long time
D0wnUnd6e6r
10/19/07 12:22:41AM

Posted by postman

First off Jerry Rice, Emmit Smith, Franco Harris just to name a few are all NFL guys who held on too long and where not on top to end their carrers. I would have so say they all deserve to be in the Hall. Call it selling out or what ever you want to call it but feeding your family comes first, Ken was offred more money than he could have dreamed of to go the WWF.

oh don't even start mix n' matchin' sports or we'll never end this argument... fine whatever shamrock's in.
postman
10/19/07 12:27:11AM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

oh don't even start mix n' matchin' sports or we'll never end this argument... fine whatever shamrock's in.

You are so right I thought to myself God you are opening a can of worms here before I stared to type!
D0wnUnd6e6r
10/19/07 12:29:49AM
lol glad we agree to disagree lol...
tuvok500
10/19/07 1:28:55AM
as for my list of news HOF to come, well
GSP
HUGUES
FRANKLIN
TITO
PENN
SILVA ( anderson)
LIDDELL

well, it is a good beginning i think !!

grappler0000
10/19/07 1:45:19AM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

I understand all of this, all of what your saying, iv'e been watching the Ufc since UFC 13 honestly so no I am not a did not start watching it a few years ago. Not cause you watched mma since UFC 1 that u know everyhting ya know. this gets on my nerves sometimes. Someone who is considered to be in the HOF has to have had a great career, begining to end, Ken sure started the whole thing like a champ, but pushed his luck and finished off in a ugly way, and no one can say otherwise or they'd be lying. Here is the only reason why I think he shouldnt be in the HOF. His win over Kimo meens nothing to me really by the way... He knew he couldnt compete no more, he knew it the first time vs tito and the 2nd time. He also knew it when he lost to Franklin and that's where for me he wouldve retired with respect. Shamrock shouldve stopped in 02 best case scenario, pushing it beyond the Frankling fight was just too much for me tho...sorry

So, choosing not to retire at a young age discredits everything a man does in his career? So, should Hughes retire while he's still ahead? Is it already too late for Chuck? If a Hall Of Famer comes out of retirement only to stink up the Octagon, should their HOF status be revoked?
richieb19
10/19/07 1:50:04AM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

You seriously don't have a clue what you're talking about.
Pages: [1] 2