In The Gym: Alves Ready For Hughes

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » In The Gym: Alves Ready For Hughes
89vision
6/3/08 2:54:43PM
Link

Sherdog.com's Greg Savage and Dave Mandel sat down with American Top Team welterweight Thiago Alves who takes on Matt Hughes this weekend at UFC 85.

In this exclusive look into Alves' training camp, "The Pitbull" discusses the contest and shares his thoughts on how the bout will unfold.

Hughes has expressed his desire to have a fight with Matt Serra "after he beats Alves" Big mistake to be looking past Alves one of the greatest WW's in the world.

With his newly honed takedown defense which he improved with Ferguson (a Judo expert) dangerous striking and all around ability I expect him to be fighting the winner of GSP/Fitch later this year.

WAR PITBULL !!!!
jae_1833
6/3/08 3:08:00PM

I keep going back and forth on this.....Matt may go back to his roots and take him down all day....just like he did with Lytle. I don't think Thiago could survive that....however if he doesn't, if he decides to bang (he has made this mistake a lot lately) with Thiago I see him getting KTFO'ed. So difficult to chose!! What a great match up!!
bullettdodger
6/3/08 3:12:05PM

Posted by jae_1833

I keep going back and forth on this.....Matt may go back to his roots and take him down all day....just like he did with Lytle. I don't think Thiago could survive that....however if he doesn't, if he decides to bang (he has made this mistake a lot lately) with Thiago I see him getting KTFO'ed. So difficult to chose!! What a great match up!!

I gotta agree with you here Jae_1833, i keep going back and forth myself... The real question here is who do you think is better at getting the takedown, Karo or Hughes... if you think Karo with his judo, then its a no brainer to pick Alvez, however if you think Hughes's wrestling is superior in getting the takedown its a bit harder to pick... as we're not sure if Hughes is going to try and bang. Tough match up to pick. Props as always to Joe Silva.
CantAndleDaRiddum
6/3/08 3:19:20PM
im hoping Hughes stands.....

WAR ALVES!
bustin_mma
6/3/08 4:46:30PM
I was watching Countdown last night on spike. Alves better not party to much or he wont be able to keep up with Hughes.