Guys Long Overdue for a UFC Debut

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Guys Long Overdue for a UFC Debut
gartface
9/23/11 9:53:54AM
Pretty simple thread. Name a fighter, or multiple fighters, that you feel are long overdue for a shot in the Octagon.

For me:

1. Glover Teixeira - Not quite sure whose fault it is that he hasn't been in the Octagon yet, but they need to do something about that.

2. Tyron Woodley - I guess "long overdue," may not be the appropriate term, but I'd say that he needs to make his UFC debut soon. I say he's made a name for himself so far.

So who do you think?
Budgellism
9/23/11 10:37:05AM
Teixeira is the on the top of my list. Same with Mousasi and Khalidov. Throw Bahadurzada in there too.
gartface
9/23/11 10:40:09AM

Posted by Budgellism

Teixeira is the on the top of my list. Same with Mousasi and Khalidov. Throw Bahadurzada in there too.

I concur with all three of those. I think the Mousasi debut isn't far off, and will coincide with the swallowing of Strikeforce. Khalidov and Bahadurzada would do nothing but add to the depth of quality in the UFC.
emfleek
9/23/11 10:47:32AM

Posted by Budgellism

Throw Bahadurzada in there too.

He's talking with the UFC currently. Stoked!
cowcatcher
9/23/11 11:03:34AM
Lombard

EDIT: A couple guys in the SF HWGP come to mind too like Sergei and Bigfoot. Fedor is waaay past due now and it doesn't seem like it would matter much at this point.
emfleek
9/23/11 11:12:18AM
Shinya Aoki

I'd love to see him get wrecked.
BuffaloDave
9/23/11 11:18:45AM
Eddie Alvarez and Gilbert Melendez - both have been chirping away that they are the best LW's in the world, time to put them to the test. I can see Melendez coming in once the whole number one contender gets sorted out.

Hector Lombard - Do I think he can dethrone MW king Silva, No, but there are some exciting fights for him in the UFC.
Twenty20Dollars
9/23/11 12:42:10PM
I would say Lombard, but he is getting old and was suppose to come to the UFC, but visa issues.

Tatsuya Kawajiri
Gilbert Meledez
Eddie Alvarez
Gegard Mousasi
emfleek
9/23/11 12:50:46PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I would say Lombard, but he is getting old and was suppose to come to the UFC, but visa issues.

Tatsuya Kawajiri
Gilbert Meledez
Eddie Alvarez
Gegard Mousasi

Kawajiri is only 3 months younger than Lombard. Both are 33.
FastKnockout
9/23/11 1:11:04PM
Alvarez and Lombard.
Twenty20Dollars
9/23/11 2:25:03PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Tatsuya Kawajiri
Gilbert Meledez
Eddie Alvarez
Gegard Mousasi

Kawajiri is only 3 months younger than Lombard. Both are 33.

Oh I didn't know Kawajiri's age, thought he was a little younger. I thought Lombard was 34.

However I think Lombard would get beat in the UFC.
gartface
9/23/11 2:32:10PM

Posted by emfleek

Shinya Aoki

I'd love to see him get wrecked.

This. I think he would get destroyed if he fought in the UFC.
KNIGHT
9/23/11 3:47:27PM
i thought Ricardo Arona should have come over to the ufc back when pride ended. I'm not sure what he is up these days and i know he hasn't fought since 09 so the game might of passsed him by.
40ouncetpkid
9/23/11 4:23:53PM
Jacare, Rockhold, and Kennedy! Need some new blood to stir up that middleweight division, more challengers for Silva.

and Krazy Horse.......please just one fight?
prophecy033
9/23/11 4:37:26PM
I'm not sure if he is still active or not bit I would love to see Ricardo Arona in the octagon. Also, Paulo Filho would be interesting. Joachim Hansen would be sweet but that will never happen. He would rather sell his soul then fight for Dana
Poor_Franklin
9/23/11 6:14:29PM

Posted by KNIGHT

i thought Ricardo Arona should have come over to the ufc back when pride ended. I'm not sure what he is up these days and i know he hasn't fought since 09 so the game might of passsed him by.

i was going to say him, but if he hasnt fought in 2 years, then there is no need to bring him in, imo
sbulldavid
9/23/11 9:05:35PM
I would love to see Gegard and Shogun go at it.
Cooler
9/23/11 10:52:23PM

Posted by prophecy033

Joachim Hansen would be sweet but that will never happen. He would rather sell his soul then fight for Dana

Well when the price of admission IS your soul then some guys just dont want any part of that. Even some of the guys from AKA were going to be released if they didnt "play the game" and sign on for the Undisputed game, noteably Fitch who I believe was released for a short period of time.
Franklinfan47
9/24/11 4:47:21PM
Just because I havent seen him listed yet, how about Cormier?

I think the top of my list would be Melendez, Aoki, and Alvarez.
BeefightStorm
9/25/11 10:23:51PM
I would have to agree with this list. I soon as I saw this post, I had the same idea in mind with the fighters you have here. Though I still think Lombard belongs as part of this list, even at his age, since he still looks strong & could pose a challenge in the UFC. Actually I have Lombard at #6 in the top 10 for Middleweights.
Some other notables also are Josh Barnett & Daniel Cormier, who at the Heavyweight division could make some noise with their grappling skills.