Come on guys lets work!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Come on guys lets work!
Solidus
10/26/08 8:52:12AM
Where are they getting these new refs

I was glad to see Rogan as annoyed with that as I was in the Maynard/Clementi fight, does he know nothing about the ground game?
The guy in the Koscheck/Alves fight was doing the same thing, and there was constant action in that fight, wtf do these guys expect. Just shut up and watch out for eye pokes ><
DCRage
10/26/08 9:00:38AM
The State Athletic Commissions. Remember that they, and not UFC, pick the referee and judges that work each fight.
mentalcase
10/26/08 9:06:20AM
yes that ref must be one of thos uneducated fans booing when the fights hit the ground when hes not refereeing. i hope they get rid of him
ToeZup
10/26/08 9:35:45AM
I hear you Solidus. Gotta love it when the ref is telling the guy who's getting dominated on the ground that he has to get out of there.
Solidus
10/26/08 9:46:28AM

Posted by DCRage

The State Athletic Commissions. Remember that they, and not UFC, pick the referee and judges that work each fight.

I guess I didnt mean literally where, more like why? I just dont like to see that sort of thing....when a ref doesnt respect the ground game it can cost the guy who's winning on the ground the fight.
imanidiot777
10/26/08 9:52:06AM
Yeah the refs were pretty bad, and you know what, so were the fans, they were just like the Miami fans of EliteXC.
Rush
10/26/08 9:53:24AM

Posted by ToeZup

I hear you Solidus. Gotta love it when the ref is telling the guy who's getting dominated on the ground that he has to get out of there.

How is that any different than BJM saying "you're doing good... you're doing good" when a guy is getting ground and pounded?

I had no quibbles over the reffing tonight (save the Silva Cote fight (which I didn't see). Despite what the ref. might have said, it boils down to what they do. I thought he gave Maynard and Clementi lots of ground time.

I also liked it when the ref told the fighters when the last 10 secs of the round was. As long as a guy is not in a submission, I like that fighters know when the end of the round is coming. It gives them a chance to do a flurry or safely back off.
nickcuc547
10/26/08 10:16:40AM

Posted by Solidus

Where are they getting these new refs

I was glad to see Rogan as annoyed with that as I was in the Maynard/Clementi fight, does he know nothing about the ground game?
The guy in the Koscheck/Alves fight was doing the same thing, and there was constant action in that fight, wtf do these guys expect. Just shut up and watch out for eye pokes ><

I agree, it was ridiculous that he's telling maynard to work as he is improving position. That was not that exciting I agree, but it was a good chess match, Maynard and Clementi both controlled their positions well, a stand up would have been a complete joke.
Franklinfan47
10/26/08 12:28:43PM
It seems like they were picking refs out of the crowd last night. Tons of new guys, who in some cases seemed pretty inexperienced, as you mentioned. One ref actually had Dr. in his name. wtf? Im just glad they got Herb "Ronaldinho" Dean for the main event.
Branwest
10/26/08 3:40:32PM
I wanted to jump through the screen and punch the guy. You could tell Rogan was getting very frustrated. In the post-fight interview, I was hoping that Joe would mention that to Gray, since the ref was still inside the cage, but he didn't. I think the ref was reacting to the idiotic drunk boos from the crowd, which he shouldn't. Those drunk people just want constant haymakers and blood. Granted, I like blood, but I also like the intracacies of the game. And Gray and Rich were CONSTANTLY working. I thought the ref was going to stand them up when Gray had side-control! That would've been too much, and luckily he didn't, or I think Gray would've said something. Hopefully, Dana and the UFC will raise this issue with the Illinois Athletic Commission and hopefully we won't see that ref anymore.
Mayo
10/26/08 4:50:41PM
I agree those new refs sucked. And I truly believe they were influenced by the drunk crowd booing constantly.