You guys hate on Tim Sylvia too much

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » You guys hate on Tim Sylvia too much
POLL: Is Tim Sylvia a Quality heavyweight?
No 32% (15)
Yes 68% (32)
MoJoy
8/17/07 12:39:09AM
First of all I am by no means a Tim Sylvia fan. I wanted Andrei to beat him every time, and I was jumping up and down when Randy knocked him down with the first punch. If I am defending Tim Sylvia, then the hate on him has gotten out of hand. Look at the thread for most boring fighter, Tim Sylvia leads it by a huge margin. Which is ridiculous. I think for the most part, the intelligence on this site is second to none, however with Big Tim ya'll have become incredibly retarded. He's not a candidate that should be on the boring list. Every single fighter has boring fights, and chalk it up to Tim being too tentative as a champ. But still that Randy fight was exciting, all those Andrei fights where good, even the 3rd had a lot of drama and strategy. Anybody see Tim and Cabbage, how about Tim and Mir, please say boring after Tim and Vera fight. That's gonna be a war. Your watching a heavyweight that can end a fight with a punch. Fedor is miles better than Tim, but if they fought, Fedor is smart enough to know he has to respect Tim's punch. Also I dont think he's a top heavyweight, but ya'll act like he's a b fighter. To me he is somewhere in the top 10-top 15 range. Saying he's not top 20 which I hear all the time, only makes you sound stupid. He's def in the range of Sergei and Fabricio and a bunch of you have them in the top 10. He's been heavyweight champ 2, that means a lot. I always root for the guy fighting Tim, I don't like this big ogre, but I am respectful enough of MMA, to call him a quality fighter how come some of you are not. Was Tim vs. Gan Mcgee boring, was Tim vs. Ricco Rodriguez boring, how about Tim vs. Wes Simms, Tim vs. Tre Telligman people, I mean how can you justify yourself and call this guy boring, I just rolled off a shitload of fights he has been in that are exciting, you aint' seem them, watch it. Boring is Sean Sherk,Jake O'Brien,Mckee, that's boring. Do those guys have skills, yes, but they are boring. Why do so many of you ignore the fact, yes he's beatable, but for many he fights he is a matchup nightmare. We all know how hard it is in MMA to compile a great record, this ain't bs boxing where they feed guys cans until they get famous. He has a record of 23-3 and whose beat him, Frank Mir, at a time when his health was there, and he was a new bread of heavyweight, many felt Frank Mir was one of the best heavies in the world, and before that accident he was really ******* talented, Randy who is a living legend, and Andrei who is one of the best fighters out there period and who also has been champ and may be again. Those are his only losses, this Tim hate has really me fed up, and this is once again coming from a guy who is not a fan of his. This Big Nog, I tell you what, I have him ranked ahead of Sylvia, but if he fought anything against him like he did Heath, Tim would kick his ass in the first round. Tim has a lot of flaws, but almost every heavyweight does. Big Nog for example, he's not a good striker, Josh Barnett, great with submissions and catch wrestling but can't seem to knock anyone out, Cro Cop has been exposed. My point is I dont put Tim in that upper upper tier, but he is not lower tier either, he is a first rate fighter. Call a Spade a Spade.
ncordless
8/17/07 12:53:42AM
Let my aides go over this memo, and I'll get back to you next month.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
cmill21
8/17/07 1:40:22AM
damnit I voted no thinking it was do we hate on him to much lol. Yes he's a upper echelon HW, but I think he's a gate keeper.
MoJoy
8/17/07 1:57:21AM
At least we know where that No comes from. So basically everyone agrees with me. I am surprised. I posted this really because all I hear is how Tim is a chump, he's not Top 20, he's boring, can't finish fights. He finishes an incredibly high ratio of fights, is he a gatekeeper yeah , but is'nt that a step above a housekeeper. Andrei was running through people, until he ran into Tim. Now I think if they fight again, and Andrei utilizes that sambo which he never ******* does, he would destroy Tim. But that's another subject. You judge a fighter many ways, one is losses. And looking at Tim's you see he's only lost to the best of the best. Even that Monson fight, where he has hated on, Monson is a very hard guy to fight, has he ever been knocked out. I do wanna see Vera go through him, their is no fighter on this planet that will have an easy time with. They can beat him, but it won't be easy. Really what I'm looking for is anybody who votes no, to articulate why he's not, cause I can't think of any reason. Look's like you guys are smart like I say you are.
ncordless
8/17/07 2:37:39AM
I think that Sylvia is definately a top ten fighter. He has a history of great finishes and entertaining fights.

That said, the reason he is hated on is he hasn't really shown his potential the last few fights and has been content to jab his way to victory. All he needs to do is get back to aggressive fighting and the hating will stop I assure you.
jomatty
8/17/07 4:37:14AM
i agree with everything you say. i personally always considered myself to be kinda an anti-sylvia type guy until i started hanging out on these boards. then i was like whoa everybody acts like he absolutely sucks. no way hes not a top ten fighter in my book, even if he is not the most exciting fighter to watch. much of my dislike for him honestly came, i think, from him being so doofy looking and so caught up with the belt. i dont like hughes either but when i saw him joking about not wanting to be seen carrying the belt around and confused with sylvia his stock jumped big time lol
DCRage
8/17/07 8:57:55AM
Add me to the no list. He's not only boring, but he fights like that Big Show guy wrestled in WWF/E, a lumbering giant who had enough trouble just getting up after knocked down. Sylvia doesn't really have much of a ground game, he's not quick enough to keep up with the shorter, smaller guys, and he reportedly has to cut a bit of weight just to stay at the Heavyweight limit in UFC. He's lucky to still be mid-card in the HW division.
BigEvil
8/17/07 9:27:52AM
FYI just because he's a quality fighter (which he is) doesn't mean we can't hate on his silly ass.
bayonetxwork
8/17/07 9:41:40AM
Ever since I saw the picture of him riding a scooter with his belt on made me label him as a douchebag for life.

Sure he's good fighter/gate keeper, but he still sucks.
LR
8/17/07 10:07:44AM
Any guy who takes steroids because he wanted a six pack is on my shitlist. Sorry.
AchillesHeel
8/17/07 10:22:12AM
First of all, the paragraph is everyone's friend.

As for Sylvia, I think the jury is currently out. He has some of the tools to be a top-tier Heavyweight, but Randy Couture may have exposed his... er... Achilles Heel. It remains to be seen whether Sylvia takes a lesson from the defeat. His ground game appeared to have improved some in the Monson fight, although it didn't seem to help him against Couture.

If Big Tim can recover psychologically from the loss and reevaluate his approach, he could become a beast. If.
MoJoy
8/17/07 10:40:06AM
DC Rage, what your telling me is guys like Sergey,Fabricio,Monson are better than him? Yeah right. Barnett roided, and now due to the fact that he's in Pride which has no Roid testing how the **** do you know he's not still roiding. I bet you if Barnett was clean he would get his ass in the octagon. You say he's boring, have you watched any of the fights I listed, or you just blindly type shit. If anybody would call Tim vs. Cabbage boring, or Tim vs. Ricco they have no MMA analyzing skills. What the hell does cutting weight have to do with him not being good? That makes no sense. How many total well rounded heavyweights are there who are good at everything maybe Fedor and Andrei and Brandon that's it. Big Nog can't strike,Barnett can't either, Fabricio also seems to want to stay on the ground, all those guys are one dimensional I noticed how you ignored that.
JWils
8/17/07 11:15:23AM

Posted by MoJoy
This Big Nog, I tell you what, I have him ranked ahead of Sylvia, but if he fought anything against him like he did Heath, Tim would kick his ass in the first round. Tim has a lot of flaws, but almost every heavyweight does. Big Nog for example, he's not a good striker, Josh Barnett, great with submissions and catch wrestling but can't seem to knock anyone out, Cro Cop has been exposed.

Sylvia is solid but not great fighter. He's around the top ten for sure. I'm not a big fan of Tim.

I would much rather watch the guys mentioned above more than Sylvia. Plus, I don't think Tim could beat any of the three. That's not hating, that's just an opinion.

You're right about that Cabbage fight..... man that was a beating.

LR
8/17/07 11:20:25AM
Barnett isn't particularly a fighter who benefits extraordinarily with steroids. He's a submission grappler, and uses his size to smother opponents and position himself for submissions. I don't know if steroids would particularly help him enough to warrant risking his MMA career. I know he's been busted, but I really question whether or not they had a huge effect. He probably wanted to look shredded, much like what Sylvia wanted.
zephead
8/17/07 12:22:18PM
Guys might hate on him. But what kills me is when they say he's a boring fighter. That makes me laugh and laugh and laugh. I, personally, am not a fan of his at all. I don't like his attitude. But I enjoy watching him fight. Yes, his last three haven't been great fights (unless you're a fan of Randy's) but dude finishes 79% of his fights.

His KO of Tra was a highlight reel one. His dismantling of Cabbage was a great display of striking. His KO of AA showed how tough he was. Dropping Ricco like that, when Ricco was on top of his game, was something else. Just ask Big Nog what Ricco is like when he is on top of his game.

Tim does have a attitude problem, that might lead people to hate on him, but when it comes to fighting, he finishes
The_Grim_Reaper
8/17/07 1:15:37PM

Posted by zephead

Guys might hate on him. But what kills me is when they say he's a boring fighter. That makes me laugh and laugh and laugh. I, personally, am not a fan of his at all. I don't like his attitude. But I enjoy watching him fight. Yes, his last three haven't been great fights (unless you're a fan of Randy's) but dude finishes 79% of his fights.

His KO of Tra was a highlight reel one. His dismantling of Cabbage was a great display of striking. His KO of AA showed how tough he was. Dropping Ricco like that, when Ricco was on top of his game, was something else. Just ask Big Nog what Ricco is like when he is on top of his game.

Tim does have a attitude problem, that might lead people to hate on him, but when it comes to fighting, he finishes

i just wanna make one thing clear Tim Sylvia did NOT ko Arlovski it was def. tko cus Arlovski was def. not out...but anyway my opinion to agree with some one who said this earlier "he's upper echelon but more of like a gate keeper"
CwB
8/17/07 3:04:05PM
To Mojoy
You call big nog and barnett and werdum onedimensional but look at big Tims ground game. Wheres it at. I think tims ground game is equal to big nogs and barnetts stand up. But as far as Tim goes he is definately a top ten fighter i cant wait to see how he does against some of the pride guys ( Cro Cop, Big Nog, Fedor) i am not saying he would win these fights but i definately think they would be exciting.
TOMMYAYO05
8/17/07 5:14:23PM

Posted by JWils

Posted by MoJoy
This Big Nog, I tell you what, I have him ranked ahead of Sylvia, but if he fought anything against him like he did Heath, Tim would kick his ass in the first round. Tim has a lot of flaws, but almost every heavyweight does. Big Nog for example, he's not a good striker, Josh Barnett, great with submissions and catch wrestling but can't seem to knock anyone out, Cro Cop has been exposed.

Sylvia is solid but not great fighter. He's around the top ten for sure. I'm not a big fan of Tim.

I would much rather watch the guys mentioned above more than Sylvia. Plus, I don't think Tim could beat any of the three. That's not hating, that's just an opinion.

You're right about that Cabbage fight..... man that was a beating.

alls he is,is a maybe a 9,10,0r 11 fighter in the ranks
Jackelope
8/17/07 6:05:20PM
A hungry Sylvia is a very dangerous thing. There is no doubt in my mind that in a hungry and healthy state of mind he's within the top 10.

As for boring- his last fight was boring as hell but I really don't consider too many of his other fights on the boring level.
mrsmiley
8/17/07 6:47:28PM
I think Silvia is a good fighter,but damnit their's just something about him I can't stand.He's like a realy bad actor playing an over the top villian in a movie or something.LOL,I can't explain it.

Despite all that,I would never take away anything from the guy.He's got skills regardless of what me or anyone else thinks about him.
bayonetxwork
8/17/07 6:48:54PM
I had a few inqueries about this pic I mentioned, here it is for those who wanted it:

zephead
8/17/07 6:56:07PM
Where's the UFC belt he's wearing? I know the belt is big, black and bulky, but I sure don't see it
Ultimate_fighter
8/17/07 9:26:55PM
NO
tapoutking28
8/18/07 4:09:55PM
First of all he is not a boring fihter and second of all his ground game is there he almost sub jeff Monson in their fight and jeff is great on the ground.
DMcCabe11
8/18/07 4:45:07PM
i agree hes young and still in his prime everyone talks about brandon vera saying hes young in a few years he will be unstoppable well him and tim sylvia are the same age so with the natural abilities of tim (6'9 heavy heavy hands) in 2 years i honestly think he will be tyhe number 2 3 or 4th best fighter on the planet depending ono fedor, barnett, and big nog performances until that time
gamez0932
8/18/07 9:02:50PM
dont get me wrong, tim is a good fighter, but when your the champ people wanna see you scrap, and a exciting fight.. i just think tim lacks that. hes more of a technical fighter rather then a brawler
masodd
8/19/07 5:12:56PM
he is boring because all he does when he has the belt is sit there and jab for 25 mins. yes that randy fight was great just because tim was getting beat down and the cabbage fight was good because he didnt have the belt and the same for andrei vs tim 2........gan mcgee was good when he had the belt but who is gan mcgee now hes a nobody............how could u even say that the andrei vs tim 3 fight was good,it was top 5 most boring hw fights ever,it was beyond belief boring..........and i do agree his fight with vera will be good because he dont have the belt and he wants it back but i dont see him beating vera anyway
TOMMYAYO05
8/19/07 5:48:57PM

Posted by masodd

he is boring because all he does when he has the belt is sit there and jab for 25 mins. yes that randy fight was great just because tim was getting beat down and the cabbage fight was good because he didnt have the belt and the same for andrei vs tim 2........gan mcgee was good when he had the belt but who is gan mcgee now hes a nobody............how could u even say that the andrei vs tim 3 fight was good,it was top 5 most boring hw fights ever,it was beyond belief boring..........and i do agree his fight with vera will be good because he dont have the belt and he wants it back but i dont see him beating vera anyway

I agree with everything you just said,Sylvia is long and loppy and alls he does is keep people outside with that jab and then can sprawl pretty well do to his long length.Arvloski-Sylvia 3 by far one of the most boring fights ive ever seen.
SicJits
8/20/07 9:34:18AM
first off randy c is a great fighter...a great lhw, and he exposed timmy's holes in his game. he came out of retirement because he knew tim was very vunerable if you get inside of his reach. looking at tim's record out of all his 26 fights only mir and aa and randy are even still in the ufc, tim has not beaten that many elite level fighters. and vera is going to push tim and really see what he has left, but i dont think he could beat many in the top 5
cowcatcher
8/20/07 1:17:12PM
im no sylvia fan either, but he isnt always boring, its just that the guy craps his pants in a fight so people are already making him the butt of their jokes(no pun intended), then he goes on to give a couple of lackluster performances in a row. the tim of late has been boring in winning, but while randy was destroying him i was on my feet the whole fight.

he is a top level HW for sure, does that mean hes top ten, maybe, thats debatable right now, but he can give just about anyone a tough time because hes just so damn big and uses his jab well, which he should given his size. i dont see him holding the ufc belt again, there are too many others out there that i think are flat out better, but HWs more than any other weight class(obviously) can KO anyone with just one shot.