Are you guys from England annoyed that you guys get the same fighters at every event in England?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Are you guys from England annoyed that you guys get the same fighters at every event in England?
Next Page »
POLL: Does it bug you?
Ya 57% (20)
No 23% (8)
A little but i really like those fighters. 20% (7)
haggiswashere
11/25/08 4:38:53PM
Because i think it would kinda bug me. No disrespect i think you guys have alot of talent there i was just wondering.
Pride-Fighter
11/25/08 11:17:20PM
Do you mean Bisping being on every main event.
I am not English, but I live nearby in my separate Republic
MMAcca
11/26/08 12:33:19AM
The more annoying thing for me is Marcus Davis being forced down our throats at every opportunity...
prozacnation1978
11/26/08 4:04:49AM
doesn't bother me but seeing same fighters on pay per views does
you guys are lucky to have a couple a year in england the ufc losses alot of money over seas and they gain it back by having us natives pay crazy prices for the seats for the losses overseas, anyway to gain their money back i suppose
cmb19932
11/26/08 7:12:34AM
how can you say that i love marcus davis
jiujitsufreak74
11/26/08 10:26:00AM

Posted by MMAcca

The more annoying thing for me is Marcus Davis being forced down our throats at every opportunity...

i wish that the UFC would shove Marcus Davis down our throats...and yes, i am aware of the wording
Aaronno9
11/26/08 10:38:26AM

Posted by MMAcca

I dont mind having Bisping, Taylor, hardy and Kelly on the cards becouse they always show up and make a good fight. I just wish we could get some good main events.
candynuts
11/27/08 12:44:39AM
Hah, it does appear thats what the UFC has been doing. But for the most part, I do not object for most of the UK fighters being on the card. Im usually stoked for a UK event because I know that Paul Taylor, Bisping, and Davis is going to be on the card. Its the main events that usually sub-par.
cmill21
11/27/08 12:50:23AM
I think it's a little presumptive(is that a word lol) on the UFC's part that you guys will buy more tickets for UK fighter then other big name stars.
jiujitsufreak74
11/27/08 12:52:52AM

Posted by cmill21

I think it's a little presumptive(is that a word lol)

yes it is

Webster
ThaAxeMurderer7
11/27/08 2:47:58AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

i wish that the UFC would shove Marcus Davis down our throats...|

Wolfenstein
11/27/08 3:38:02AM
I'm not from England,but maybe I can put my own American take on this. Having a bunch of fighters from my home state, or country doesn't make a big difference to me (other than maybe who I'm rooting for, but even then I don't like them all just because we're born on the same landmass).

I just want to see good fights and I don't care if they're from Russia, Japan, or Uzbekistan. I think too much stock is put into having hometown fighters on a card. A lot of times we don't even realize these guys are hometown guys as we've never heard of him. I don't know..had any of you guys heard of Neil Wain, or were overtly excited that he was fighting?

Eventually the UFC needs to take a couple more steps and start just putting out great fighters on overseas cards, instead of rehashing the same fighters with different opponents. Otherwise they just might as well start doing UFC Europe and make it a subsidiary of the UFC.
Pride-Fighter
11/27/08 9:39:39AM

Posted by Wolfenstein

I'm not from England,but maybe I can put my own American take on this. Having a bunch of fighters from my home state, or country doesn't make a big difference to me (other than maybe who I'm rooting for, but even then I don't like them all just because we're born on the same landmass).

I just want to see good fights and I don't care if they're from Russia, Japan, or Uzbekistan. I think too much stock is put into having hometown fighters on a card. A lot of times we don't even realize these guys are hometown guys as we've never heard of him. I don't know..had any of you guys heard of Neil Wain, or were overtly excited that he was fighting?

Eventually the UFC needs to take a couple more steps and start just putting out great fighters on overseas cards, instead of rehashing the same fighters with different opponents. Otherwise they just might as well start doing UFC Europe and make it a subsidiary of the UFC.

I agree on a UFC Europe. I am from Ireland and UFC 93 which is coming to my country is being planned by UFC UK. Now my country is not in the UK so why are they planning it? I know the UFC in Europe is based in the UK but they could just call it UFC Europe instead of UFC UK.
warglory
11/27/08 9:52:06AM

Posted by Wolfenstein

But also keep in mind your a hardcore. Most fans who come to an event, American, Canadian or European, have never see a UFC show and are probably relatively unfamiliar with the undercard talent. Watching a card with local talent does invigorate locals, especially from those who don't get a chance to see cards as often as they would like. I mean look what happened with GSP beat Serra in Canada, it was crazy!
warglory
11/27/08 9:53:35AM

Posted by Pride-Fighter

Posted by Wolfenstein

I agree on a UFC Europe. I am from Ireland and UFC 93 which is coming to my country is being planned by UFC UK. Now my country is not in the UK so why are they planning it? I know the UFC in Europe is based in the UK but they could just call it UFC Europe instead of UFC UK.

Once the UFC gets off the isles and into Germany, I bet things will change real fast for management.
copcopps
11/27/08 10:01:28AM

Posted by MMAcca

i wish that the UFC would shove Marcus Davis down our throats...and yes, i am aware of the wording

Anyway I'm not bothered as long as the judges aren't biased *cough*Bisping*cough*
soundboy1
11/27/08 11:04:29AM
I am always bummed when I find out the fight is in the UK. It usually means no true headlining fight and a bunch of guys on the undercard who I've never seen or heard of. and taylor,kelly ,davis and bisping. snore.
Pride-Fighter
11/27/08 11:05:13AM

Posted by warglory

Posted by Pride-Fighter

Posted by Wolfenstein

Once the UFC gets off the isles and into Germany, I bet things will change real fast for management.

I'd say you are right, but Ireland is not a part of the UK. and some people I know refer to the Isles as the North Atlantic Archipelago, instead of British Isles. These are crackheads though. But I dont think the Germans will like their event being organised by UFC.UK.
Pride-Fighter
11/27/08 11:07:16AM

Posted by soundboy1

I am always bummed when I find out the fight is in the UK. It usually means no true headlining fight and a bunch of guys on the undercard who I've never seen or heard of. and taylor,kelly ,davis and bisping. snore.

What do you think of the event in Ireland with Shogun vs Coleman and Hendo vs Franklin. I think Dana White loves Ireland and wants to give us a better show than he ever gave the UK
soundboy1
11/27/08 11:11:14AM
I love that card. hopefully it will be the beginnng of better cards in Europe. I got shogun by ko in the 1st and henderson by ko in the 2nd.
RiseUp21
11/27/08 11:36:59AM
i dont know if its so much the UFC putting the english guys on England cards in order to get tickets sold in England. I'm sure all those regulars ask to be on those cards so they can fight in their hometown. GSP in Canada, Brock in Minnesota, Franklin in Ohio, etc etc.
moob
11/27/08 3:12:01PM

Posted by haggiswashere

Because i think it would kinda bug me. No disrespect i think you guys have alot of talent there i was just wondering.

Yeah it does annoy me - I'm from Scotland, that's the capital of London, by the way.
moob
11/27/08 3:15:23PM

Posted by Pride-Fighter

I'd say you are right, but Ireland is not a part of the UK. and some people I know refer to the Isles as the North Atlantic Archipelago, instead of British Isles. These are crackheads though. But I dont think the Germans will like their event being organised by UFC.UK.

I don't think the Germans would be that bothered by UFC.UK organising the event at all. The Germans got over the war a lot faster than many on this Island.
king_katool
11/27/08 4:15:22PM

im irish to, from the north in belfast, and im sry to say but the north is still controlled but the brits....GIVE US OUR ****** COUNTRY BACK
punkgrl-com
11/28/08 10:40:34AM
It's always funny when the UFC's in Manchester or Birmingham and they run pictures of Big Ben and the houses of Parliament about 150 miles away
MMAcca
11/28/08 4:38:25PM

Posted by copcopps

Posted by MMAcca

Anyway I'm not bothered as long as the judges aren't biased *cough*Bisping*cough*

I agree. Leben was robbed.............
haggiswashere
11/29/08 8:15:12AM

Posted by moob

I'm from Scotland, that's the capital of London, by the way.

so I've heard
ncordless
11/29/08 9:32:49PM

Posted by MMAcca

I never understood that... the guy's is named after a weapon of terror used in that country. That is like a fighter calling himself "The Oklahoma Carbomb" or "The Iraqi Improvised Explosive Device" or even the "Al-Qaeda Airplane" here in the US.
haggiswashere
11/30/08 7:39:52AM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by MMAcca

I never understood that... the guy's is named after a weapon of terror used in that country. That is like a fighter calling himself "The Oklahoma Carbomb" or "The Iraqi Improvised Explosive Device" or even the "Al-Qaeda Airplane" here in the US.

Thats true. That would bother me. I thought he changed it to "Celtic warrior" or something the first time he was in either UK or some place up there, but im not sure why he never did it again. Pretty good idea to change it when he is in Ireland imo
moob
11/30/08 11:16:42AM
I don't really think people are as sensitive over 'The Irish Hand Grenade' as some think - other than those with an agenda regarding The Troubles.

It's not as though a hand grenade is a weapon exclusively used by terrorist organisations, and in reality, the IRA UVF UDA etc - never really used grenades that much, it was more car bombs and semtex etc - and there's a fighter based in Nottingham with the nickname Paul Semtex Daley.

I can understand why some may have a problem about it, but most people with their heads screwed on have moved on since The Troubles - there will always be the idiots, and Davis would only be pandering to them by changing his nickname, IMO.
Pages: [1] 2