Guy Mezger: "The Vaseline thing is BS"

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Guy Mezger: "The Vaseline thing is BS"
betii
2/17/09 3:48:55PM
New Guy Mezger interview.

His thoughts on Lesnar...

"It surprised me how much Brock was able to counter punch really well. Most wrestlers flinch or cover at hits and he was very quick to counter and I think that surprised Randy a little bit. Randy got hit with some counter shots and I think he thought he would be able to outbox him. Lesnar was real good at countering though. Randy is the chessmaster though and he comes in with a good solid plan. You could see what he was attempting to do and I think it was working. I would give Lesnar the 1st round, but I think Randy was on his way to winning the 2nd. It looked like Lesnar was a little bit tired, but hey, the guy probably weighed about 280 pounds at fight time and you can’t take shots from guys like that."

On GSP-Penn 2 and the Vaseline controversy...

"I think BJ just gave up too much against GSP! It’s like the saying goes, 'A really good big guy will beat a really good small guy because he has the size.'"

"He was the bigger guy, strong and powerful and that wears you out. To be honest, I think the Vaseline thing is BS. GSP could have been dipped in Crisco and it wouldn’t have changed the fight. If you look, they towel him off in the 2nd round. A couple of brush strokes across the chest and on the back are not going to change the dynamics of the fight. If you lather him down, it may change the outcome, but if you watch the fight, you would see that it wouldn’t have mattered."

His thoughts on Wanderlei, Liddell and Lindland being at the end of their careers...

"What we’re looking at here is all of these guys have been in wars and they’re getting older. That’s the reason I retired. I had a lot of fights, even before I stepped in the UFC, I had 60 something fights before I even stepped into my first UFC. To be honest with you, God gives you a certain amount of punches to the head and then after a while, you don’t take them the same. When I fought Chuck, I hit him with some very hard shots and he kept coming and he was strong, but after awhile, you can’t take those shots the same anymore."

"Hopefully these guys will sit back and see where they’re at in life and be happy with that. All 3 of them have had incredible careers. If they were to never fight again, they would still go down as some of the best fighters to ever fight in the history of mixed martial arts. I think that they need to make a decision on their health and what’s best for their family. That’s what happened to me. When I was fighting, I had a stroke when I was preparing for Tito. They gave me a medical clearance to get back in there about 4 months later and I had to say to myself, 'Is this really what I want to do?' Because I have children and I’ve had a great career. I figured it was probably best for me to step away. I had a stroke without having anything wrong. I got very lucky with that. I think that was God’s little message to let me know I may need to consider doing something else. I hope these guys make the right decision. All of them are good guys and warriors, but I hope they make the right decision."

More in the full interview:

GUY MEZGER: "THE VASELINE THING IS BS"
Rollins
2/17/09 9:29:10PM
Good stuff, thanks for taking the time to share it with us. Appreciated.
haggiswashere
2/17/09 11:44:48PM

Posted by betii

"It surprised me how much Brock was able to counter punch really well. Most wrestlers flinch or cover at hits and he was very quick to counter and I think that surprised Randy a little bit.

Well when your skull is 27 in thick and made of granite you don't need to flinch
Boo_Radley21
2/18/09 12:50:18AM
Good call Mezger. BS indeed.
cmill21
2/18/09 1:17:58AM

Posted by haggiswashere

Posted by betii

"It surprised me how much Brock was able to counter punch really well. Most wrestlers flinch or cover at hits and he was very quick to counter and I think that surprised Randy a little bit.

Well when your skull is 27 in thick and made of granite you don't need to flinch

If Hunt can be hurt, Brock can be, but Randy has never ever been known for his punching power lol, so it doesn't surprise me. When the UFC gets some real strikers Brock will have some trouble.
haggiswashere
2/18/09 1:22:11AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by haggiswashere

Posted by betii

If Hunt can be hurt, Brock can be, but Randy has never ever been known for his punching power lol, so it doesn't surprise me. When the UFC gets some real strikers Brock will have some trouble.

I'm hoping so. Maybe carwin or Cain will test his chin
EvenFlow
2/18/09 7:45:14AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by haggiswashere

Posted by betii

Hunt may have been hurt by Melvin but he isnt out, hes just knocked odwn and stunned, but he mightve been on his way out cold if the ref didnt stop it.
cmill21
2/18/09 2:33:58PM

Posted by EvenFlow

Hunt may have been hurt by Melvin but he isnt out, hes just knocked odwn and stunned, but he mightve been on his way out cold if the ref didnt stop it.

Hunt said after the only thing he remembers is entering the ring and then being in the back having doc's look at him.
mentalcase
2/18/09 11:26:12PM
"The Vaseline thing is NOT BS" it very fuken real!!

GSP fans please watch this LINK
Tein_Lung
2/19/09 12:46:58AM

Posted by mentalcase

looks like BJ just cannot get that sand out of his vagina...

he got his ass handed to him... GSP could of been in a full Gi and he would of still pounded BJ out....
jiujitsufreak74
2/19/09 12:57:19AM

Posted by Tein_Lung

Posted by mentalcase

he got his ass handed to him... GSP could of been in a full Gi and he would of still pounded BJ out....

watch that video though, it clearly shows he greased and broke the rules. whether or not that was the cause of his victory is irrelevant; he cheated plain and simple.
mentalcase
2/19/09 1:09:19AM

Posted by Tein_Lung

Posted by mentalcase

if he could have been in full Gi why did he use grease in most of his ufc fights
zephead
2/19/09 3:37:52PM

Posted by mentalcase

Posted by Tein_Lung

Posted by mentalcase

if he could have been in full Gi why did he use grease in most of his ufc fights

Because when you whip dat ass, you don't want to hurt it, just let it know who've been around.