guillotine escape and best sidemount escape or sweep

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » guillotine escape and best sidemount escape or sweep
HMA123
2/1/08 4:04:43PM
What is your most favorite dominant way to escape and Guillotine from your opponents guard. I no a few but what one that you think would most likely work.

And i have trouble getting out of people sidemounts, i no a sweep an common shit like the wheelbarroll, but what seems to work more or the time, and some stuff against a bigger heavier opponent, anything ??
fedorwins1
2/1/08 5:42:33PM
IMO the easiest way to get out of a guillotine is to fight the hands or just stick you forearms in the throat and they will almost always let go because it's very very uncomfortable.
jiujitsufreak74
2/1/08 6:14:35PM
my favorite way to get out of a guillotine is to get sidemount. he can't finish it if your in sidemount and the best part is you don't really have to exert that much energy because if he doesn't just let go as soon as you get to sidemount then he will just waste energy until his arms give out giving you the perfect opportunity to rain down some punishment. if you can't get sidemount then its just choke instinct and the more experienced you are the more you know how to distort your neck, it is hard to explain you just have to feel it out. key to get out of every choke is to control your breathing and stay calm so those are givens as well.

for sidemount sweeps i personally just explode and try to trap a leg and try to get back into half guard where there is a larger arsenal of sweeps you can do from there. i highly suggest getting back into half guard before attempting a sweep because sidemount sweeps often leave you in worse positions if you don't do them just right.
KeNn
2/1/08 8:17:06PM
Guillotine= 2 on 1.

Side mount, if he's got you from your right side cross your left leg over, and pull his right leg into half guard.

Or get a hook in and take his back.

anything more specific u want just ask
fedorwins1
2/1/08 8:30:57PM
If you can get to side mount get there quick, it's almost impossible to choke someone with a guillotine in side mount. If you can't get to side mount, then fight the fingers or push your forearms in their throat.
KeNn
2/1/08 8:35:40PM

Posted by fedorwins1

If you can get to side mount get there quick, it's almost impossible to choke someone with a guillotine in side mount. If you can't get to side mount, then fight the fingers or push your forearms in their throat.

You said forearms, I'd like one forearm to their throat and one to the hip so he can't pass any further.

personal preference.
fedorwins1
2/1/08 8:51:18PM

Posted by KeNn

Posted by fedorwins1

You said forearms, I'd like one forearm to their throat and one to the hip so he can't pass any further.

personal preference.

I'm confused Not sure how you mean this, can you explain some more? If you're in their full guard how can they pass?
MMAFO
2/2/08 12:52:40AM
The thing with escaping from side mount, you can't be flat on your back. You need to be on your side (facing your opponent) with your bottom knee pulled in, nad your bottom elbow pulled in, under your opp. trying to keep space between you and your opp.

here is just 2 options.

Option 1: pull guard.
to do this, from the above positioning, When your Opp. creates some space, you want to buck as hard as you can, immediately pull you bottom leg under your opponent,
As you buck and pulling your leg under, use your bottom arm to push on Opp hip, upwards, keeping space to get your leg under. (also, use your opposite leg to PUSH yoursefl under to help get you to guard position).
NOTE: to do this, from the beginning position, your opp must have their arm over your head, with elbow behind your head. NOT underhooking your head. if it is an underhooked situation, you must first buck and try and position thier arm/elbow behind your head.

Not sure who this is, but it is a good example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hk_IewhGXI&NR=1

Option 2: Shrimp out, to double leg
to do this, when your opp creates space, ebby backwards to get your hips turned over. continue to ebby and turn your hips until you are facing your opp. From here, you move forward into a double leg. most likely ending up in their guard.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIYsz0nb94I&NR=1

best piece of advice i can offer. You know when you are about to end up in side control. so start escaping BEFORE you end up flat on your back. go straight to being on your side, facing the Opp ball up with your knee and elbow in..............
KeNn
2/2/08 12:03:37PM
Yeah I as buddy above me said, never stay flat when they have you in side mount, lol.

Still the easiest way to get out is get a under hook and take the back.... Cause I know the guys I train with don't go for the quick buck to pull guard.. they've all got excellent base, so their still on me really right. When I buck I get the hook, get their back.
madmarck
2/3/08 2:58:32AM
For Guillotine i find most guys dont close their legs fast enough and you can push one down and get to half guard at the very very least. Usually you can go to mount or side though.
Thats why when i pull guard with a guillotine i always close it up fast so i dont get passed.
Vendetta
2/4/08 9:11:51PM
First of all, learn proper head position when you're shooting to avoid most guillotines.

Escapes... Get up on your toes and stack all of your weight into their chest, HARD. it will only give you a few more seconds but the guillotine will get you eventually, so be quick. First and foremost, defend the choke. Get at least one hand around the choking arm, two if you can, to try and alleviate the pressure. Then, do your best to get your head out.

Guillotines can be dangerous to the trachea, tap immediately if you feel pressure on the center of your throat on your adam's apple.

Best advice to get out of side mount is never to get into it. Fight like hell when they're past your guard. Stiff arm and shrimp your ass off until you can hip back in and replace your guard. As far as escaping being totally pinned in side mount, there are several top positions and plenty of escape techniques for each position, try searching lockflow. This is a really broad subject that can't really be answered in one specific question.