TK Guard

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » TK Guard
richieb19
6/27/07 11:33:31PM
I've made this thread on just about every forum I post on, and still get no results. I even went back to SD to the grappling forum, but that place has gone seriously down hill... Anyways, for a while now I've been curious about the open guard mastered by Tsuyoshi Kohsaka, which was also taught to Frank Shamrock and Mo Smith back in the days of the Alliance... From what I can gather, it's basically open guard played with your heels dug into the hamstrings of your opponent.... I'm very curious if anyone can tell me the advantages/disadvantages of playing guard this way, and if anyone has ever tried to use it...

Thanks in advance!
cincyassasin
6/28/07 12:33:22AM
I use it all the time,Mostly it allows you more movement from the bottom all together but it generaly frees up your hips to allow you more mobility when attempting submissions such as arm bars, also easier to pass arms to attempt a triangle choke and etc.....one draw back is an experienced opponent will be more capable of passing from your gaurd to half or even straight to side mount.
richieb19
6/28/07 12:40:46AM

Posted by cincyassasin

I use it all the time,Mostly it allows you more movement from the bottom all together but it generaly frees up your hips to allow you more mobility when attempting submissions such as arm bars, also easier to pass arms to attempt a triangle choke and etc.....one draw back is an experienced opponent will be more capable of passing from your gaurd to half or even straight to side mount.

Thanks alot man!!! I figured it would be easier to pass... have you had any luck using it for a sweep? From what I can conjure, putting all your weight down on a heel (which has his leg trapped) and overhooking the arm on the same side, then shooting your hips over could work...
johny_rotten
6/28/07 12:49:38AM
It is definitely a part of BJJ that I have always been taught. I wouldn't recommend using it exclusively. It is a great to help get distance on the bottom while attempting many submissions. It also helps stretch your opponent out which takes away his striking power, and again helps set up submissions.

There are a couple negatives. The main one being foot/knee/ankle locks. As someone else already stated a good shrug, and prarry gets you opponent in side control. The last disadvantage is you are not really a threat to sweep besides just pushing your opponent off you.
cincyassasin
6/28/07 12:50:23AM
I like to sweep from a half spider but the rest of what you stated would be the same, I just like to elevate the hips also, tends to increase my success rate.
richieb19
6/28/07 12:52:49AM

Posted by johny_rotten

It is definitely a part of BJJ that I have always been taught. I wouldn't recommend using it exclusively. It is a great to help get distance on the bottom while attempting many submissions. It also helps stretch your opponent out which takes away his striking power, and again helps set up submissions.

There are a couple negatives. The main one being foot/knee/ankle locks. As someone else already stated a good shrug, and prarry gets you opponent in side control. The last disadvantage is you are not really a threat to sweep besides just pushing your opponent off you.

I think we may be lost in translation here... from what I've heard, the TK guard would be with your feet behind the knees, not like the spider guard... I could be wrong though...
cincyassasin
6/28/07 12:58:24AM
Yes I was just stating that when I attempt a sweep my tendency is to work to a half spider, only one instep inside his hips, the other would remain as you said firmly placed on the ground.
richieb19
6/28/07 1:03:53AM

Posted by cincyassasin

Yes I was just stating that when I attempt a sweep my tendency is to work to a half spider, only one instep inside his hips, the other would remain as you said firmly placed on the ground.

Sure, thats actually my favorite sweep, however we DO agree that the TK guard is with both heels dug in BEHIND the knees right?
cincyassasin
6/28/07 9:54:41AM
Yes
richieb19
6/28/07 5:05:46PM
Awesome, thanks alot Cincy, big help...

Where do you grapple and how long have you used this guard?
cincyassasin
6/28/07 11:52:34PM
I train with Team Demon here in Cincinnati for about 6 years now but been grappling for almost 14 years total.......I'd say I learned this gaurd about 7 years ago but wasn't really comfortable using it until about 4 years ago, repitition is a must.