GSP vs. Thiago Alves

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » GSP vs. Thiago Alves
« Previous Page | Next Page »
MattHughesRules
2/3/09 3:10:30PM
Although I think Alves is awesome I don't see him beating GSP. GSP will have the reach advantage in this fight and should be able toi neutralize Thiago's standup attack using his jab. To be honest....Alves standup may be better but there is not a huge gap between the two here. I think GSP will be able to take him down at will as the rounds go on and dominate him using his wrestling skills which are now off the charts good. GSP by late round stoppage via G&P or UD. I think Alves ground game is untested....GSP will take advantage,
gsquat
2/3/09 3:29:13PM
Tuvok could be right, but I see this as one of those matchups where you're not really sure how it will go until you see them in action. I'm definitely picking GSP via UD or sub though. However I wouldn't be surprised to see Alves's size give him GSP some problems.
mkiv9secsupra
2/3/09 4:11:24PM

Posted by Tein_Lung

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by L-Dahab_8
Alves has great take down defense, just watch his fight VS Kos; his sprawl was just amazing.

His sprawl is amazing, sure, but GSP is a different kind of grappler rather than just freestyle wreslters like Kos and Hughes. GSP combines all aspects of takedowns and control into one strategy that so far no one has been able to stop effectively. He's used freestyle wrestling, judo, and trip takedowns in a way that Alves has never seen before. So there really isn't a comparison between Kos' and GSP's takedowns.

was not talking about Kos taking alves down i was talking how GSP took Kos down... everyone said before that Kos wouldn't be taken down by GSP and he did it with no effort... he will do the same to Alves

did you quote the wrong person? because L-Dehab was specifically talking about Alves' sprawl vs Kos.....
Fox
2/4/09 6:28:27PM
Ha i just wanna see if Alves can make the weight for this fight. then we can talk about if he will win. Which in my opinion he wont GSP is better on the feet and the ground. His conditioning is amazing he was barely winded in the BJ fight. GSP 3rd round GnP stopage
cmill21
2/4/09 7:50:57PM

Posted by Fox

Ha i just wanna see if Alves can make the weight for this fight. then we can talk about if he will win. Which in my opinion he wont GSP is better on the feet and the ground. His conditioning is amazing he was barely winded in the BJ fight. GSP 3rd round GnP stopage

Better on the feet eh?
Pookie
2/4/09 7:55:41PM
Those Knees could be deadly if gsp tries for a takedown thats just a bit telegraphed.
mkiv9secsupra
2/4/09 8:11:44PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Fox

Better on the feet eh?

I believe gsp is better on the feet if not equal. Alves' striking is effective because he batters people when they shoot in and/or clinch. Gsp probly doesn't have the better footwork but I think he is very technically sound and is a bit more accurate. I just wish he would throw more combinations rather than a stiff jab or head kick repeatedly.
Jackelope
2/4/09 8:45:56PM
LOL you guys are crazy. I think GSP is a little gunshy on the feet ever since the Serra KO for one, and for two while I agree he is good on the feet (at least, better than he usually shows) I think he is far from a top striker.

On the flip side of that- Alves has solid MT offense, but his defense is lacking IMO.

That being said I'd be really surprised to see GSP want to stand and bang with Alves. REALLY surprised. Pleasantly surprised if he does, though.
higdon10
2/4/09 10:53:47PM
GSP is better in every aspect of the game.
mentalcase
2/5/09 12:22:57AM
i take GSP 2nd or 3rd rd tko
grimreaper
2/5/09 12:23:14PM
If you look at any other fights of Thiago past 2007 it mean nothing he has grown leaps and bounds over former performances I think we're forgetting how good Koscheck is at wrestling and Thiago just shrugged him off like he was nothing plus GSP has a weak mind and chin and if Thiago catches him he will destroy him GSP's stand up sucks compared to Thiago
jocka
2/5/09 12:51:29PM

Posted by grimreaper

If you look at any other fights of Thiago past 2007 it mean nothing he has grown leaps and bounds over former performances I think we're forgetting how good Koscheck is at wrestling and Thiago just shrugged him off like he was nothing plus GSP has a weak mind and chin and if Thiago catches him he will destroy him GSP's stand up sucks compared to Thiago

Since everyone was saying that Alves had a real god sprawl i rewatched his 3 last fights yesterday. (Which all happend in 2008)

Karo was able to take it to the ground, kept him there for a while in rd one and i think Karo won the first rd. But in rd 2 karo went for that take down, got hit by a big knee and we all know how that one finished.

Matt Hugues was able to take it to the ground has well but Alves was able to get back up. Once again Thiago finished that one in the sc with a big flying knee.

KOS was not able to take it to the gound at all during that fight but i believe that he did not have time to train properly for the fight and his cardio was not good. So KOS decided to stand with Alves which Alves was never able to finish him plus KOS able to land some shots of him own. We have to remember that KOS stand up is mediocre at best but he still was able to survive 3 rounds with ALves while being in bad cardio shape.

He does have a good sprawl but in no way is it good enough to stop GSP. All the guys (i mentionned) that he fought came and shot on him without trying to set it up with striking first.

GSP on the other hand is so good at changing levels, i agree that ALves's striking is better than GSP but i believe that GSP will be able to strike with him until he explodes into a takedown and pounds Alves into a submission. Alves is not that fast cause of all his muscle mass so it think its going to play in GSP's favor for the wrestling plus am sure Alves will be gun shy, scared of GSP catching one of the legs kicks and using it to take him down.

I said before the Penn fight that GSP would go trought Penn and i believe he will do the same in this fight, as long as GSP does get hit with a big knee he will take it to the ground and submit Alves in the end of rd1 or middle or rd2.

chubbud22
2/5/09 6:39:52PM
Every time GSP gets a new opponet I always hear how that guy is going to "give GSP problems" and GSP gets in there and smashes there face in. After GSP smashes Alves there will be someone else that come along that will be trouble for GSP. Penn was supposed to give him all sorts of trouble, so was Fitch, so was Kos.
Fox
2/5/09 8:39:15PM
How any one in there right mind can say GSP's stand up sucks compared Alves is beyond me
anomoly
2/7/09 7:21:29PM

GSP FTW
gartface
2/8/09 1:18:30AM
Striking won't factor into this match up in my eyes. GSP will take him down and submit him with ease.
virginiatech
2/8/09 11:31:06PM
GSP is like a mini-Fedor. He goes out there and completely tools fighters where they are strongest. His track record since the Serra loss says it all:

Kos - out wrestled him
Hughes - out wrestled him
Serra - took it to the ground and beat him there
Fitch - out struck and out wrestled him
Penn - took it to the ground and beat him there

with that said...

GSP via TKO/KO round 2
bjj1605
2/9/09 2:11:05AM
This would be a much more interesting fight if I hadn't seen the look on Alves face after the Penn fight. He looked terrified. He will get picked apart standing up because of GSP's footwork and taken down and pounded. He's a future prospect but he looked star struck and intimidated next to Georges. That will play a big factor in this fight. GSP by late submission or tko
cmill21
2/9/09 3:37:08AM

Posted by virginiatech

GSP is like a mini-Fedor. He goes out there and completely tools fighters where they are strongest. His track record since the Serra loss says it all:

Kos - out wrestled him

with that said...

GSP via TKO/KO round 2

His track record since Serra says he's taking everyone down. Expect GSP to take Alvez down early and often...
Aaronno9
2/9/09 4:00:19AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by virginiatech

Kos - out wrestled him

with that said...

GSP via TKO/KO round 2

His track record since Serra says he's taking everyone down. Expect GSP to take Alvez down early and often...

I dunno, he put a clinic on Fitch standing and rocked the **** out of him numerous times. He was also beating Serra up standing before he took him down.
virginiatech
2/9/09 10:04:35AM
Well thank you for pointing out the obvious. But the point I was trying to make is that GSP seems not to be afraid of his opponents strengths. So far hes fought ONLY wrestling and BJJ guys (with the exception of BJ who has shorter reach). We've never seen him face a striker, but I'm going to stand by my prediction.

Over the years GSP's striking has improved by leaps and bounds. It wouldn't surprise me if he caught Thiago with something.
Hendo67
2/9/09 1:53:44PM
I have a strange feeling Alves is going to catch Georges...Don't ask me why, i just think he will...it's basically a gut feeling.
I know technically Georges is the much better fighter, but i think Alves will give him a fit on his feet.
handstrong
2/9/09 9:15:07PM

Posted by SociopathX

I'm not sure of my prediction just yet... i'll have to wait and see if GSP's cornerman are planning on applying more Vasoline on his back or not.

That is some hilarious stuff there! Because that's gotta be the reason he dominates everyone he fights. It has nothing to do with his striking, wrestling, takedown defense, athletic ability, intelligence, stamina, or strategy. It's definately because of vaseline. BJ Penn not being able to land a punch or put up any kind of offense must have been because of vaseline. You must be a BJ Penn fan. How about some original thinking, not some rehashed, regurgitated bad jokes. I'll make a prediction though... You will continue to be lame and George St Pierre will win by submission in the 2nd round.
Aaronno9
2/9/09 11:21:04PM

Posted by handstrong

Posted by SociopathX

I'm not sure of my prediction just yet... i'll have to wait and see if GSP's cornerman are planning on applying more Vasoline on his back or not.

That is some hilarious stuff there! Because that's gotta be the reason he dominates everyone he fights. It has nothing to do with his striking, wrestling, takedown defense, athletic ability, intelligence, stamina, or strategy. It's definately because of vaseline. BJ Penn not being able to land a punch or put up any kind of offense must have been because of vaseline. You must be a BJ Penn fan. How about some original thinking, not some rehashed, regurgitated bad jokes. I'll make a prediction though... You will continue to be lame and George St Pierre will win by submission in the 2nd round.

EvenFlow
2/9/09 11:50:20PM

Posted by handstrong

Posted by SociopathX

Thiago, KO, 2nd round, just a heads up
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
MMA
2/10/09 9:20:56AM
I personally think Alves' TDD is a bit overrated now since all everyone brings up is that he defended Koscheck's TD. People need to watch that fight before bringing it up. What I do remember, however, is that Alves was taken down by both Parisyan and Hughes (though neither were able to control him while on the ground).

This is a pretty interesting fight and will definitely be more competitive than GSP vs. BJ II. Hell, Alves might win with all this greasegate crap surrounding GSP and his camp.
chickmagnet
2/10/09 2:44:41PM
Alves by BRUTAL KO
mach
2/11/09 7:24:12PM
Alves is gonna catch GSP with somethin big in one of the first few rounds and GSP's head is gonna bounce around and **** and the slo mo will be pretty funny

or Alves will gas cause of the huge cut and GSP will win the UD. But I'm going with option #1
jawbreaker517
2/11/09 10:40:44PM
This is an interesting match-up. Alves poses many challenges for GSP. We know his stand-up is awesome, but whats he like off his back? It's hard to tell because we've never seen Alves ON his back. Even a decorated wrestler like Koscheck couldn't take him down(even though GSP's wrestling is superior than almost everybody's, including Josh). Not only is Alves' stand-up really good, but he is a big welterweight, walking around at almost 200lbs. Although I think GSP will win, it will be via a hard-fought decision.
bjj1605
2/12/09 1:59:11PM
Don't forget also that GSP is a very elusive striker, since his loss to matt serra he uses angles and moves in and out a lot more. While Alves is your classical come forward power striker. I think he will be frustrated by gsp's movement, get picked apart standing and taken down when he over commits to his strikes. Thats GSP. Just when you think you're in a kickboxing match he takes you down and pounds on you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4