Has GSP got what it takes to STOP Serra?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Has GSP got what it takes to STOP Serra?
POLL: Could GSP finish Serra?
Yeah KO easily 26% (6)
Yeah Sub 9% (2)
Flukey KO like the Carter fight 4% (1)
A one sided schooling from GSP with a Sub or KO at will 35% (8)
I really don't know if he can 22% (5)
Defiantly not Serra's one tough cookie! 4% (1)
SmileR
3/20/08 10:37:45AM
I just want to start off by saying I personally think GSP wins a VERY one sided UD in this, but I don't think he's got it in him to KO or Sub Serra.

I'v started putting a fair bit of recherché into Serra as i already know a lot on GSP, and the little dude is tough!
I'v just finished watching all of his fights and Serra is a freak!
He eats massive bombs an keeps coming!
The only one that stopped him was a crazy spinning back fist from Shonie Carter (a fight that Serra was winning up to that point)

Here's were i get stumped though....

Each time Serra stepped up to the elite part of the competition he's been beaten decisively.

BJ's decision was a schooling an after it i sort of felt sorry for serra because he had no answer for anything BJ did, but BJ was one of if not the best in the world at the time.

The he fought Karo Parisyan, again lost decisively and i think answered the question that he will never be a top 10 fighter, always in the 15-20 area.

But in between those two fights he fought Din Thomas who many have ranked (or at least did have) borderline top 10.
He lost this fight but put up one hell of a fight!

He then went on to fight Chris Lytle in the final of that weird TUF for the title shot and again scraped a decision but in doing so never looked close to being finished!

The question thats sticking in my mind now guys is.... Can GSP FINISH Serra?
Pookie
3/20/08 10:40:55AM
I dont think he can

I think gsp is going to take it to the ground constantly, and theres no way he can sub him. GnP possibly but serra is a tough dude so idunno.... but then again the back injury also... confusing fight.
Ordep
3/20/08 11:15:45AM

Posted by Pookie

I dont think he can

I think gsp is going to take it to the ground constantly, and theres no way he can sub him. GnP possibly but serra is a tough dude so idunno.... but then again the back injury also... confusing fight.

That's was worries me, if the injury pops out and the fight is stopped b/c of that itgonna suck. And you'll see all of the GSP fan boys making the "excuse"argument.
tdietel01
3/20/08 11:16:24AM
I think GSP has been on a whole new level since the last fight with serra. He schooled two top westlers at thier own game and seems to be unstoppable. IMO serra has gotten way too cocky and might overlook this fight?!?! a very determined GSP is gonna be very hard to beat! i think GSP will beat him standing up a little them take him down at will and sub him just because people say he cant do it
NatedawgThaM
3/20/08 11:29:32AM
No it's going to be a pretty boring fight if GSP wins. I highly doubt GSP will stand with Serra because his reach advantage meant nothing against Serra last time and Serra just destroyed him. I just see him taking him down constantly. It should look like the Lugi-Cummo fight. GSP will keep taking him down, Serra would let him do nothing so it gets stood up, process repeats itself several times.

GSP won't submit a black belt in BJJ, I'm sorry, I know it's possible but it only happens when the guy first destroys the black belt on the feet and has him dazing and then drops him and then submits him. But since he won't stand with Serra I don't even think he'll be able to GNP all that great. Serra is tough as hell and a wizard on the ground.

GSP can't take a punch IMO and Serra's going to do the same thing he did in the first fight. Except he'll sprawl a few times and then catch GSP and stop him with punches again. Serra will TKO him in the 1st again!!!!
SmileR
3/20/08 1:39:51PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

No it's going to be a pretty boring fight if GSP wins. I highly doubt GSP will stand with Serra because his reach advantage meant nothing against Serra last time and Serra just destroyed him. I just see him taking him down constantly. It should look like the Lugi-Cummo fight. GSP will keep taking him down, Serra would let him do nothing so it gets stood up, process repeats itself several times.

GSP won't submit a black belt in BJJ, I'm sorry, I know it's possible but it only happens when the guy first destroys the black belt on the feet and has him dazing and then drops him and then submits him. But since he won't stand with Serra I don't even think he'll be able to GNP all that great. Serra is tough as hell and a wizard on the ground.

GSP can't take a punch IMO and Serra's going to do the same thing he did in the first fight. Except he'll sprawl a few times and then catch GSP and stop him with punches again. Serra will TKO him in the 1st again!!!!

I was thinking pretty much the same thing except the last paragraph!
I really don't see GSP sub'ing him and since he was KO'd he has been using his wrestling a lot more.

I hate to say it but i'm thinking GSP by L&P!!

JimiMak
3/20/08 5:25:45PM
I think the flukey shot (which every fighter always has) is GSP's hope for a stoppage. I think if it's stopped it's for Serra.