GSP and superfights.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » GSP and superfights.
POLL: GSP's next fight if he wins against BJ
Anderson 11% (4)
Alves 81% (29)
Other 3% (1)
none He will be one armed after the BJ fight 6% (2)
seanfu
11/30/08 1:07:35AM
I think in all this talk of the up coming BJ fight and the possibility of an Anderson fight we're forgetting that GSP has cleaned everyone at 170 out except one man. Alves. I would certainly be the first to say GSP by murder in this matchup but Alves has a style that is tailor made to test and maybe even beat GSP.

GSP is a good striker, granted very good, but not great and the chin from the fights I've seen isn't the most tested. Alves hits hard. I don't remember seeing GSP against a really good striker.

That's it.

Not saying much other than this is a fantastic matchup and we're overlooking the last awesome matchup in the division currently. He should fight Alves next before Anderson.

What do you guys think because I would hate to see GSP lose either fight when theres a chance against Anderson but it's not right to make Alves and 170 wait.
bojangalz
11/30/08 1:43:46AM
It's gotta be Alves next. He deserves his damn title shot, and shouldn't have to take another fight before he gets his chance. Not only is Alves the clear and convincing #1 contender; he's also made his way into the lower half of the top 10 P4P rankings. If GSP can take out BJ (top five P4P) and Alves (top 10) in back to back fights he's def staking a claim for #1 P4P fighter in his own right.

If GSP does get victories over Penn and Alves we'd be looking at a late 2009 bout with Silva. I don't think anyone would question that at that particular time Silva and GSP would be the top two P4P fighters in the UFC (possibly the world depending on what kind of activity Fedor sees next year). It would be a perfect storm getting those two together to finish out the year.

Lets not forget though- A LOT has to go right for this to happen. GSP does need both of those wins. And Alves and Penn are far from push-overs. Silva's also going to have a few big fights next year too. Both will need to remain unblemished for this fight to come together. I'll say this much- I'm a huge Alves fan. But if GSP gets past BJ, I'll be rooting for GSP over Pitbull for the simple fact that I really want a GSP/Silva fight to get put together.
RNC
11/30/08 4:01:51AM
If GSP beats BJ, which personally, I think he will, his next fight will be against Alves.

First, Dana White does not want the UFC to turn into a circus. If he lets GSP jump to 185 right after a fight against BJ, who just jumped to 170, it would be ridiculous. This would give the impression that the UFC is unstructured and unorganized. GSP would be jumping a weight class to fight a man who moves back and forth between 185 and 205 himself. This would make it seem like if you are a star in the UFC you can do whatever you please. Overall, this wouldn't be a good image for the UFC, and Dana knows that.

Second, on top of GSP vs Silva being chaotic, GSP isn't ready for Silva. He has never fought at 185. To give him not only Anderson Silva, but a title shot as his first test at MW, it would be unfair to GSP and the other fighters in line for the belt. GSP needs a couple warm up fights at 185 before he can fight for the title. A different weight class means a different proving ground, even Silva didn't get an immediate shot at the LHW belt. GSP needs to prove he is the #1 contender at 185 before he gets a shot at Silva.

Next, Alves has proven that he deserves his title shot. After a 7 fight win streak, the only fight left for him to take is a rematch with Fitch, and the possibility of having a St. Pierre vs Fitch II is way too soon. With that being said, Alves has already publicly stated he will wait for GSP. No one wants to have to wait a year before we see this guy fight again, and I'm pretty sure his contract won't allow it. Dana prolonged Penn vs Florian for this upcoming superbowl match up, he can't hold up St. Pierre vs Alves the same. All in all, Alves earned his shot at the belt, and I'm sure he will be getting it.

Lastly, Anderson already has a fight in the works against the loser of Rashad vs Forrest, or more likely Rampage vs Silva. Right now, I believe that Dana White has a lot of plans for Silva at 205. Anderson Silva: #1 p4p fighter in the world, undisputed UFC MW Champion......... undisputed UFC LHW Champion. Oh yeah, you better believe thats what Dana is going for. He would love nothing better than to get some superfights going for Silva at 205, and I am sure that is what he is going to do. If GSP wants to fight at MW, give him Bisping first. Right now, it seems that Silva is busy at 205.

Overall, St. Pierre may have the tools to make a fight against Silva interesting, but he is not ready to take on the challenge just yet. While Silva is busy at 205, GSP still has a fight against Alves to handle. St. Pierre vs Alves for june of '09. Silva vs St. Pierre for one of Anderson's last fights.
Rush
11/30/08 9:26:13AM

Posted by RNC

I
Next, Alves has proven that he deserves his title shot. After a 7 fight win streak, the only fight left for him to take is a rematch with Fitch, and the possibility of having a St. Pierre vs Fitch II is way too soon. With that being said, Alves has already publicly stated he will wait for GSP. No one wants to have to wait a year before we see this guy fight again, and I'm pretty sure his contract won't allow it. Dana prolonged Penn vs Florian for this upcoming superbowl match up, he can't hold up St. Pierre vs Alves the same. All in all, Alves earned his shot at the belt, and I'm sure he will be getting it.

You might have something there. The UFC might be holding out for one more fight between Fitch and Alves. Who else in the division is in a position to fight Fitch other than Alves? I look at it this way, the Fitch and Alves fight has some selling potential to it (because Alves lost to Fitch previously, but is the #1 contender so that is motivation for Fitch).

If GSP and Alves fight (and Alves loses) there isn't much left to sell the Alves-Fitch fight because Fitch would have moved on (and because he be Alves before) wouldn't have any reason to fight I guy he has already beat.

I'm almost expecting a Fitch-Alves fight and the winner gets a title shot.
RNC
11/30/08 5:12:51PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by RNC

I

You might have something there. The UFC might be holding out for one more fight between Fitch and Alves. Who else in the division is in a position to fight Fitch other than Alves? I look at it this way, the Fitch and Alves fight has some selling potential to it (because Alves lost to Fitch previously, but is the #1 contender so that is motivation for Fitch).

If GSP and Alves fight (and Alves loses) there isn't much left to sell the Alves-Fitch fight because Fitch would have moved on (and because he be Alves before) wouldn't have any reason to fight I guy he has already beat.

I'm almost expecting a Fitch-Alves fight and the winner gets a title shot.

The fight makes sense, no doubt about it, but if it happened I would like to see Fitch fight one or two people first. If Fitch beats Alves, he will have lost to GSP, beaten one person, then immediately be given another title shot. Its not enough to earn him the belt, even if Alves is the #1 contender right now. We've all seen that anyone can knock anyone out on any given day.. Matt Serra/GSP. Just because Fitch defeats Alves doesn't mean that he deserves another shot at the belt, so although the fight should happen, the timing isn't right.
Rush
11/30/08 8:32:21PM

Posted by RNC

The fight makes sense, no doubt about it, but if it happened I would like to see Fitch fight one or two people first. If Fitch beats Alves, he will have lost to GSP, beaten one person, then immediately be given another title shot. Its not enough to earn him the belt, even if Alves is the #1 contender right now. We've all seen that anyone can knock anyone out on any given day.. Matt Serra/GSP. Just because Fitch defeats Alves doesn't mean that he deserves another shot at the belt, so although the fight should happen, the timing isn't right.

Well I was one of the few people that argued with gusto that Fitch didn't deserve the title shot in the first place, but you have to give him credit that despite getting pwned, he was able to hold his own for 5 rounds.

That being said, I am usually not a fan of a fighter losing a title fight fighting once (to get a win) and get another shot when that fight in between is against some guy that is not even a contender (two examples off the top of my head are Lytle-Hughes and Couture-van Arsedale). However, I am open to exception if the two guys fighting for the shot are both legit contenders.

I don't see the point in throwing Fitch cans (other than Karo that's what he'll get given what's left in the WW division unless the AKA guys start fighting each other, but then again Swick isn't even that great) only to beat them and make them look even less ready for a run for a title shot.
JimiMak
11/30/08 9:36:45PM
What I can't vote "no more so called superfights I wanna see a champ defend his belt" and it's so big of an IF that you're just counting your chix before they're hatched. GSP should, and hopefully will, lose this match.
RNC
11/30/08 10:59:28PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by RNC

Well I was one of the few people that argued with gusto that Fitch didn't deserve the title shot in the first place, but you have to give him credit that despite getting pwned, he was able to hold his own for 5 rounds.

That being said, I am usually not a fan of a fighter losing a title fight fighting once (to get a win) and get another shot when that fight in between is against some guy that is not even a contender (two examples off the top of my head are Lytle-Hughes and Couture-van Arsedale). However, I am open to exception if the two guys fighting for the shot are both legit contenders.

I don't see the point in throwing Fitch cans (other than Karo that's what he'll get given what's left in the WW division unless the AKA guys start fighting each other, but then again Swick isn't even that great) only to beat them and make them look even less ready for a run for a title shot.

I agree. But sometimes thats just how it works. Even though Rich Franklin was easily the #1 contender at MW after his loss to Anderson Silva, he still had to fight MacDonald and Okami to prove he deserved a shot at the title.

If they want to do Fitch vs Alves, or in other words a #1 contender fight, so be it. Give Fitch Karo first, and after that he can fight the loser of GSP vs Alves.
Wallass
12/1/08 10:12:04AM
Alves is even more deserving of a fight then BJ is. Penn hasnt fought a Welterweight in over away so he shouldnt even be considered a contender. GSP will destroy Penn and have the toughest fight of hi career against Alves where we just may see a new UFC Welterweight Champion.
RiseUp21
12/1/08 3:18:41PM
I dont like that BJ can go straight to the belt a weight class up, while A. Silva has to climb the ladder.

i mean, i understand that BJ is more familiar with the class, but its been over 2 years since hes fought there, losing 2 of his last 3, only beating Renzo. Renzo was 1-6 from 2000-2005...
higdon10
12/1/08 3:51:32PM

Posted by Wallass

Alves is even more deserving of a fight then BJ is. Penn hasnt fought a Welterweight in over away so he shouldnt even be considered a contender. GSP will destroy Penn and have the toughest fight of hi career against Alves where we just may see a new UFC Welterweight Champion.

Alves is more deserving than BJ, but I don't think there will be a new champ after Alves and GSP fight.
breakdown5
12/1/08 3:54:18PM
IF GSP wins, he should fight Alves. Then they can do a superfight between GSP and Silva if GSP can get past Alves.
Pitbull09
12/2/08 12:22:58AM
Alves earned his title shot. They wouldnt allow him to wait a whole year. But it makes me wonder if BJ wins (I dont think he will), who gets a fight first? Kenny or Thiago? I would be pissed if I am the guy who waits longer.

Alves is def after this fight
If GSP wins, I think the Anderson fight is next
If BJ has the title, I think Alves will murder BJ standing

The best scenario for me is
GSP beats BJ
Alves murders GSP
GSP still fights Anderson
BJ stays in the LW division and stops holding up a huge division. You dont want to piss off KenFlo. "It's time to kill the master." doesn;t imply that he is happy with his wait.
Pitbull09
12/2/08 12:30:33AM

Posted by higdon10

Posted by Wallass

Alves is more deserving than BJ, but I don't think there will be a new champ after Alves and GSP fight.

Alves is way more deserving and this fight obviously was timed badly. To me, Penn really hasnt defended his title as the real champ was Sherk and Alves has been #1 contender for awhile. I know Penn use to be in the division and dominated but once you leave, that shouldnt allow you to cut line coming back when the division is that stacked.
Silva is fighting LHW because he fights every three months. Penn thinks he deserves to be holding two titles (one he cut line for and didnt earn a real shot)and only fight every six months. To me, that isn't the kind of champ I want holding two belts. The only guy I would be fine with is Anderson and he isnt interested so my suggestion to the UFC is lay off more ideas for "superfights" if the fighters are holding a title.