GSP Static Interview

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » GSP Static Interview
nwowolfpack
7/3/09 4:24:56AM

UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre recently took time to answer some questions for PDG regarding his upcoming bout against Thiago Alves, training and the importance of UFC 100.

PDG: How is your training going for UFC 100?

GSP: I’m in the best shape of my life and I’m training really hard before my fight. Three weeks I spent in New York doing Muay Thai at the Wat with Phil Nurse and all the guys over there, sparring with Shawn Imes, Brad Imes and all those great training partners that I have for Muay Thai training. I’m learning a lot from Kru Phil. I also train in New York at the Renzo Gracie Academy under supervision of John Danaher – he’s my Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu instructor. I have great training partners there as well. The level of jiu-jitsu in New York at Renzo Gracie is better than it is in Montreal, so that’s one of the main reasons why I have been going there and I spend so much time at that Academy.

GSP UFC 100

Rush
7/3/09 7:07:27AM

Now I can snatch 100 lbs. 3 repetitions with 1 arm, which is something that I never thought I was ever going to be able to do when I first start training with Jonathan Chaimberg because I was struggling to lift like a 60 lb weight over my head and now I can do 3 reps with 100 lbs. I got so much stronger than I was, and that makes me very confident for my next fight, because I know Thiago Alves is a very big guy and very powerful and he has been able to dominate a lot of these guys because of his superior strength and superior size. But I truly believe that it’s not going to work against me.

I love Georges, but I just don't buy it when he makes statements like this. Couldn't snatch a 60lb dumbell? Come on!

I can do 50 continuous snatches (2x 25 each arm) with a 53lb kettlebell making a 60lb dumbell pretty easy. To be honest I don't think I am that much stronger than average.
xAcidburNx
7/3/09 2:01:06PM

Posted by Rush

Now I can snatch 100 lbs. 3 repetitions with 1 arm, which is something that I never thought I was ever going to be able to do when I first start training with Jonathan Chaimberg because I was struggling to lift like a 60 lb weight over my head and now I can do 3 reps with 100 lbs. I got so much stronger than I was, and that makes me very confident for my next fight, because I know Thiago Alves is a very big guy and very powerful and he has been able to dominate a lot of these guys because of his superior strength and superior size. But I truly believe that it’s not going to work against me.

I love Georges, but I just don't buy it when he makes statements like this. Couldn't snatch a 60lb dumbell? Come on!

I can do 50 continuous snatches (2x 25 each arm) with a 53lb kettlebell making a 60lb dumbell pretty easy. To be honest I don't think I am that much stronger than average.

what are your dimentions?
Rush
7/3/09 2:47:45PM
I walk at 165lbs and am 5' 11.5 inches. I have stood next to GSP and he is a bigger guy than I am.

I don't know if he says these things to be positive about himself (and maybe others) or what, but I sometimes cannot buy into them.

Don't get me wrong, I would not be able to (single hand) snatch 100lbs once (let alone 3x), but I thought the 60lb comment was a little on the low side for anyone of his weight and physique