GSP-Shields Booked For UFC 129

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » GSP-Shields Booked For UFC 129
DCRage
1/2/11 5:25:06PM
When GSP wants to fight in Canada, apparently GSP gets to fight in Canada. Dana White announced Saturday (via Yahoo! Sports) that Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre will defend his title as expected against Jake Shields at UFC 129 in Toronto on April 30. GSP was hoping to fight on the card after his most recent successful title defense in December. With the recent news that Randy Couture will potentially return to fight Lyoto Machida at the same event, it's now expected that this show will be the biggest in UFC history. GSP will come into this match-up having run through nearly every challenger at 170-pounds matchmaker Joe Silva could possibly offer him. In fact, Shields just might be the only one left.

Article
sparky
1/2/11 7:38:01PM
GOOD BYE Jake Shields

WAR GSP
prozacnation1978
1/2/11 7:57:30PM
No big surprise there

Could u imagine this with edgar vs maynard 3

Two 25 min fights back to back
postman
1/2/11 8:37:02PM
Told everyone long ago GSP will fight in Canada all the time . And I wa crazy
DCRage
1/2/11 8:54:54PM
This seems like unusually short turnaround for GSP, only about 4 months between fights.
Shawn91111
1/2/11 9:01:14PM

Posted by DCRage

This seems like unusually short turnaround for GSP, only about 4 months between fights.

Not really, unless he is injured or doing TUF its usually 4-5 months between fights for him.
tallica62
1/2/11 9:03:23PM
so undeserved....next...
decken
1/2/11 9:03:53PM
I am not looking forward to this fight. I think GSP is going to walk through Jake Shields.

GSP has way better hands and wrestling that is at least good enough to keep the fight where he wants it. It will be much like the Henderson vs Shields fight but GSP wont gas after the first round.
sbulldavid
1/2/11 11:02:01PM
I think this will be the toughest fight for GSP in a while. This going to be explosive, Shields will pull guard if he can't take GSP down, and I think he has an enormous advantage if he's not standing. I think GSP's stamina will decide the fight.
decken
1/3/11 12:31:23AM

Posted by sbulldavid

I think this will be the toughest fight for GSP in a while. This going to be explosive, Shields will pull guard if he can't take GSP down, and I think he has an enormous advantage if he's not standing. I think GSP's stamina will decide the fight.

So, you think GSP will win.
DARRYL_Ledonne
1/3/11 2:02:24AM
GSP is a healthy fighter!!

But still waiting for fight & result!!
BeeR
1/3/11 6:59:37AM

Posted by tallica62

so undeserved....next...

there's nobody left.
Would you like to see Fitch again? Alves Again? give dong WHO? Kim a shot?

Id say a guy with a dominant win over Dan Henderson, another orginization or not, has a much better shot. and would be alot more interesting then rematches of one sided step child beatings or nobodies.
sbulldavid
1/3/11 7:26:00AM

Posted by decken

Posted by sbulldavid I think this will be the toughest fight for GSP in a while. This going to be explosive, Shields will pull guard if he can't take GSP down, and I think he has an enormous advantage if he's not standing. I think GSP's stamina will decide the fight.

Yeah, GSP should win, but I'm thinking that Shields will win a round or two and give GSP a couple vulnerable moments. I don't think he'll be able to submit GSP, and he's not going to be able to take GSP down after the second or third round.
Bubbles
1/3/11 11:06:58AM
GSP will win by TKO. Shields doesn't possess the striking potential that Koscheck has, so he wont be nearly as hesitant to engage.

if he doesnt finish Shields, who cares. Jake hasnt been finished in 10 years, let alone lost in the past 5
sparky
1/3/11 1:02:58PM

Posted by sbulldavid

Posted by decken

Posted by sbulldavid

Yeah, GSP should win, but I'm thinking that Shields will win a round or two and give GSP a couple vulnerable moments. I don't think he'll be able to submit GSP, and he's not going to be able to take GSP down after the second or third round.

I think GSP will win every moment of this fight until the fight comes to an end!!!
teddythetuna
1/4/11 1:21:44PM
When trying to fill Rogers Center it makes sense to have GSP on the card. Why not make it as big as possible.