GSP set to train with Freddie Roach

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » GSP set to train with Freddie Roach
SmileR
5/20/10 7:32:51PM
UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre broke the news that he will be spending some quality time with world renowned boxing trainer Freddie Roach in the very near future.

"Rush" told Jim Rome on his nationally syndicated radio show that he will be flying to California today to begin training at Roach's Wildcard Gym in Hollywood.

Roach, best known for his training of seven-division world champion Manny Pacquiao, is coming off his supervision of yet another masterpiece less than a week ago on May 15. He was in the corner of trainee Amir Khan as he made his stateside debut at Madison Square Garden in New York. "King Khan" recorded an 11th round TKO victory to retain his WBA world light welterweight title after a dominant performance over challenger Paulie Malignaggi.

This will certainly not be the first time Roach has helped MMA fighters fine tune their "sweet science" repertoir. Anderson Silva, Andrei Arlovski, Gegard Mousasi, and Dan Hardy have all trained under his watchful eye in the past.

Link
BustedKnuckle
5/20/10 8:54:45PM
If GSP has a fault it is his striking mostly his defense. It has holes. Working with Roach should tighen any hole up for sure! GSP is the ultimate champion. The guy is humble and great for the sport and a perfectionist. Always wanting to improve, and always delivers!!!!!!!
bjj1605
5/20/10 10:06:18PM
I'm not sure that this is a good idea... MMA and Boxing are very different. Even if you discount kicking and takedowns, the striking is very different as well.

GSP has great striking already so I say if it aint broke don't fix it. Why would you mess with what works? Sure he got dropped by Serra but have we seen anyone get close to repeating that? He isn't a boxer, he's an MMA fighter. And standing he tends to be more of a kick boxer. His punch defense is based on foot work and range rather than blocking and head movement. His punching offense is based off of straight punches combined with movement, such as his superman punch, lunging jab, or spinning back fist.

I'm not saying he won't have anything to learn from Roach, he surely will. But that's just the problem: He'll have to learn. He'll be starting at square one, or close to it, when it comes to Freddie Roach boxing. Often enough techniques DON'T blend together and the new ends up replacing the old. With the result being that you now have a champion level fighter experimenting with new techniques instead of the tried and true techniques that he's been practicing his whole life and got him where he is today.

But hell, what do I know? Here's to hoping GSP proves me wrong
Rush
5/20/10 10:39:11PM

Posted by bjj1605

I'm not sure that this is a good idea... MMA and Boxing are very different. Even if you discount kicking and takedowns, the striking is very different as well.

GSP has great striking already so I say if it aint broke don't fix it. Why would you mess with what works? Sure he got dropped by Serra but have we seen anyone get close to repeating that? He isn't a boxer, he's an MMA fighter. And standing he tends to be more of a kick boxer. His punch defense is based on foot work and range rather than blocking and head movement. His punching offense is based off of straight punches combined with movement, such as his superman punch, lunging jab, or spinning back fist.

I'm not saying he won't have anything to learn from Roach, he surely will. But that's just the problem: He'll have to learn. He'll be starting at square one, or close to it, when it comes to Freddie Roach boxing. Often enough techniques DON'T blend together and the new ends up replacing the old. With the result being that you now have a champion level fighter experimenting with new techniques instead of the tried and true techniques that he's been practicing his whole life and got him where he is today.

But hell, what do I know? Here's to hoping GSP proves me wrong

I get the impression that this kind of training accomplishes a couple things.

1) It gets his opponents thinking about what he could do
2) I think more often than not, GSP has these training camps for very specific situations. I don't think that he'll base his general MMA game off boxing or even really incorporate it. I think it is either for principals that will improve general striking and/or provides him with a tool for a very specific situation.
TimW001
5/20/10 11:20:29PM
Good stuff.
jae_1833
5/20/10 11:42:08PM

Posted by Rush

2) I think more often than not, GSP has these training camps for very specific situations. I don't think that he'll base his general MMA game off boxing or even really incorporate it. I think it is either for principals that will improve general striking and/or provides him with a tool for a very specific situation.

Cross-training is essential to mixed martial arts....for years Rampage has trained in BJJ, but he uses it primarily for the defensive side of his ground game. I think every fighter should have variety in their camps and training partners to experiment with new ideas and techniques. I'm not saying that a fighter should be training primarily in on fighting style, but that every once in a while it is good to not only shake things up but also to re-connect with the basics....the fundamentals. A lot of guys are good at the fundamentals and in good shape and they go far (Bader, Lidell, Maia, Hughes) then when they mix in some other facetts of the game they tend to become high level competitors (GSP, Silva, Shogun, etc).
bjj1605
5/21/10 12:35:55AM

Posted by jae_1833

Posted by Rush

Cross-training is essential to mixed martial arts....for years Rampage has trained in BJJ, but he uses it primarily for the defensive side of his ground game. I think every fighter should have variety in their camps and training partners to experiment with new ideas and techniques. I'm not saying that a fighter should be training primarily in on fighting style, but that every once in a while it is good to not only shake things up but also to re-connect with the basics....the fundamentals. A lot of guys are good at the fundamentals and in good shape and they go far (Bader, Lidell, Maia, Hughes) then when they mix in some other facetts of the game they tend to become high level competitors (GSP, Silva, Shogun, etc).

I'm glad you mentioned Maia and Hughes because they're both perfect examples of why I believe this is a bad idea for GSP. My argument isn't against cross training (I think that the well-roundedness of GSP shows he's done a considerable amount of that) my argument is style changing. GSP has goods hands and kicks already, what he's talking about doing is implementing a new style all together.

Take Maia for example. Early on he had almost no striking at all. That forced hm to rely full on his Jiu Jitsu. He would go for takedowns, pull guard, and if that didn't work he would rinse and repeat. I think that his urgency to get fights to the ground was what made him so adept at getting them there. Then he decided to "become well-rounded" and trained extensively in muay thai. The result was getting knocked out by Nate, then standing up with Miller and winning a decision where he could have had a finish, and a terrible UD loss to Anderson Silva. I think that he could have(not saying would have) won everyone of those fights if he would have stuck to his original style. The striking that he had picked up gave him a false confidence when in reality he had no chance of standing with Anderson or Nate, and no chance of finishing Miller on his feet.

It can also cause you to train less in what you're already good at. Matt Hughes and Josh Koscheck (as evidenced by how many times GSP took him down the first time around) are excellent examples of this. Both gave up training wrestling, assuming that they could out wrestle anyone anyway, in favor of learning the stand up. GSP showed them both that if you don't continually train something the skills will deteriorate. Just because you were the best wrestler in the UFC yesterday doesn't mean you will be tomorrow.

This sort of thing can also just mess with your technique. I think Vitor Belfort and Andrei Arlovski are the best examples here. Both guys were a terror on their feet and did what worked for them. Then someone decided to "clean up" their striking and the results were disastrous. Thankfully, Vitor is back on the right track. And his situation may have had more to do with personal issues. But the point remains.
TimW001
5/21/10 1:57:35AM

Posted by bjj1605

This sort of thing can also just mess with your technique. I think Vitor Belfort and Andrei Arlovski are the best examples here. Both guys were a terror on their feet and did what worked for them. Then someone decided to "clean up" their striking and the results were disastrous.

Arlovski only trained with roach for the Fedor fight, and his boxing looked pretty well there. Freddie roach admitted that Arlovski with his boxing, he's like a fish out of water. That with Arloski's suspect chin.

Thankfully, Vitor is back on the right track. And his situation may have had more to do with personal issues. But the point remains.

Not really.

If GSP wishes to improve his hands, how would you prefer him to do it?
Jackelope
5/21/10 2:09:34AM
As far as I know Arlovski was training with Roach for the Rothwell and Nelson fights as well. At least that's the assumption I was going on based on what I had read. I seem to remember his boxing looked great in all 3 of those fights so I may be attributing it to that.
supatolacyl
5/21/10 2:16:46AM
I think people are going a little over board here about gsp changing his whole striking game or that he is starting at square one again. Fighters go to these camps and seek improvment on what they are already doing and looking for any tips that are to be offered. He isn't looking for a life changing awakening here with his striking (which he could get from Roach), he is just looking to refine what he is doing with his striking, Not starting completely over again. I think it is a good thing for him, especialy after everyone is questioning him about finishing ((may he listened to all of your cries of dispare because he's not finishing opponents lol Nah prolly not, but this can't hurt) I look forward to seeing what Roach does for GSP
vomitshovel
5/21/10 10:49:48AM
Agreed, its not like GSP is gonna forget and relearn how to throw a 1-2.
This can only help improve his striking base and make him a more well rounded fighter.
Hopefully he will trade big leather with kos
seanfu
5/21/10 2:14:35PM
Bj has scary boxing and Anderson didn't forget Muay Thai, so I would say it all might be alright. I think all he's doing is seeing Kos throwing wild hands. So when Kos only throws hands GSP will know some angles and how to avoid the strikes.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/21/10 4:55:07PM
I'm going to side with bjjSickLife here. Koscheck cannot stand with GSP. His asset is as a wrestler. Not that I think he can out-wrestle GSP to begin with, but that's what he needs to focus on. I can understand wanting to improve your overall game but we are talking about the best, or second best, depending on your rankings, pound for pound fighter in the world. Stick with what got you there.
noahgenda
5/21/10 5:16:50PM
and there goes his career
BlueSkiesBurn
5/21/10 5:18:10PM

I think that's a little hyperbolic. It's not like he's learning striking from Goulet.
noahgenda
5/21/10 5:22:50PM
haha, it was a joke
BlueSkiesBurn
5/21/10 5:23:24PM
haha, I know, I just wanted to use that line.
TheCatFather
5/21/10 6:09:29PM
Freddy Roach is one of the best boxing trainers of all time. I think GSP is making smart moves as far as training with the best of the best and his stand-up will benefit tremendously from Roaches training.
CCPRIDE99
5/22/10 1:45:58AM
Maybe with help from a legit boxing coach gsp will finally get a ko
TimW001
5/22/10 3:23:51AM

Posted by CCPRIDE99

Maybe with help from a legit boxing coach gsp will finally get a ko

Yea that would be great. Kind of like a sweet knockout, I remember UFC 65 had a sweet KO too.
chickmagnet
5/23/10 2:05:13PM
If he trades leather with Kos he'll get put to sleep..
theruler_
5/23/10 8:45:44PM
it's obvious that he just want freddy to teach him the flying knee
BustedKnuckle
5/23/10 9:54:12PM

Posted by noahgenda

Seriously?? I think training with Roach can only improve his game. No way is Freddie going to try to completly reteach GSP. He watch him for a while and probably already has!!! And make tweeks to his striking game. Roach is very smart and sees the potential MMA has to make him money. I dont think it is going to be a build from the ground up kind of training.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/23/10 10:52:59PM

Posted by noahgenda

haha, it was a joke

spoofies
5/26/10 3:37:15AM
GSP has been training with him the past few days.