GSP / Serra... The fued begins?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » GSP / Serra... The fued begins?
Next Page »
pv3Hpv3p
5/16/07 5:33:01PM
Thought you guys might be interested in this article...

It's Matt Serra's retaliation to GSP's comments about him and their title fight at 69...

I didn't get the chance to listen to the audio of Georges's commects cause I'm at work, but it's included in the link... Serra seems pretty pissed...

ARTICLE

Discuss away...
JimiMak
5/16/07 5:57:23PM

I completely agree w/ Matt. The reason I like him is he tells it like it is and doesn't pull punches. He doesn't pretend to be nice, then try to cover his ass, like some ppl Right before the fight GSP wanted to save face, cuz he thought it would be an easy win, and said he had trained as if it was any #1 contender. This brings up a bigger point for me. If a fighter says he was sick after winning, he's valiant, not degrading to his opponent. If a fighter says he is sick after a loss, he's complaining and degrading to his opponent. I believe the old adage, If you aren't fighting hurt-- you haven't been fighting long enuf. But a fighter would lose his license to fight if he admitted to being sick or hurt. Fighters should be able to say I got a bit hurt, I had to cut back on training, but I feel ready. Then it's no excuse, you admitted you were hurt, but admitted you wanted to fight anyway. I think anytime a fighter chooses to lie to the commission about whether he is "healthy" he should take the loss. At first GSP was doing that and now he's trying to cover his ass. A lot of fighters do it, but I hate it.

Also want to thank TS what he thinks. I've had a lot of good conv's w/ you, don't tell me you don't have an opinion... or had you not previously read GSP's comments. If so I'll see If I can find the transcription for you.
papercut
5/16/07 6:15:40PM

Posted by JimiMak

I completely agree w/ Matt. The reason I like him is he tells it like it is and doesn't pull punches. He doesn't pretend to be nice, then try to cover his ass, like some ppl Right before the fight GSP wanted to save face, cuz he thought it would be an easy win, and said he had trained as if it was any #1 contender. This brings up a bigger point for me. If a fighter says he was sick after winning, he's valiant, not degrading to his opponent. If a fighter says he is sick after a loss, he's complaining and degrading to his opponent. I believe the old adage, If you aren't fighting hurt-- you haven't been fighting long enuf. But a fighter would lose his license to fight if he admitted to being sick or hurt. Fighters should be able to say I got a bit hurt, I had to cut back on training, but I feel ready. Then it's no excuse, you admitted you were hurt, but admitted you wanted to fight anyway. I think anytime a fighter chooses to lie to the commission about whether he is "healthy" he should take the loss. At first GSP was doing that and now he's trying to cover his ass. A lot of fighters do it, but I hate it.

Also want to thank TS what he thinks. I've had a lot of good conv's w/ you, don't tell me you don't have an opinion... or had you not previously read GSP's comments. If so I'll see If I can find the transcription for you.

yeah Matt he doesn't beat around the bush with things and I really don't like how Georges tried to say he was still injured.
Rush
5/16/07 8:48:10PM

Posted by JimiMak
I completely agree w/ Matt. The reason I like him is he tells it like it is and doesn't pull punches. He doesn't pretend to be nice, then try to cover his ass, like some ppl Right before the fight GSP wanted to save face, cuz he thought it would be an easy win, and said he had trained as if it was any #1 contender.

So you are saying that GSP pretends to be nice? I might have missed it, but he pretty much said the same thing (in the interview) as he said at the seminar I attended, with the exception of the knee injury (I don't know where that came from). I don't think he is saving face. He said that he underestimated Serra and that was his mistake.

Posted by JimiMak

Right before the fight GSP wanted to save face, cuz he thought it would be an easy win, and said he had trained as if it was any #1 contender.

When was the promo for this UFC shot? I bet it was before GSP was initially injured. Again, without evidence it is just hand waving, but I wanted to bring up that possibility.

As to Matt being pissed. Again, I don't know why he would be upset. What GSP said in the interview was that his 'entourage' helped brainwash him into thinking he couldn't lose. He admitted (at least to us at the seminar) that he got sucked into it because of his lack of maturity.

That being said, I will quote one of Serra's sound bytes "I hope he's taking me lightly". Well Serra, you got what you wished for, you got the title and now you are bitching. You could've been the bigger man and let it go, but you couldn't.

Serra got the title and (win or lose) we'll see what happens before and after his fight with Hughes.

Posted by JimiMak
This brings up a bigger point for me. If a fighter says he was sick after winning, he's valiant, not degrading to his opponent. If a fighter says he is sick after a loss, he's complaining and degrading to his opponent.

GSP has done both so what does that make him? Valiant or degrading? Depending on how you look at it, saying you fought (and won) sick or injured can be viewed as degrading to your opponent too. Some people might read it as "I beat this guy even though I wasn't 100%". My point? This whole situation can be viewed from many different perspectives.

Posted by JimiMak
I believe the old adage, If you aren't fighting hurt-- you haven't been fighting long enuf. But a fighter would lose his license to fight if he admitted to being sick or hurt. Fighters should be able to say I got a bit hurt, I had to cut back on training, but I feel ready. Then it's no excuse, you admitted you were hurt, but admitted you wanted to fight anyway. I think anytime a fighter chooses to lie to the commission about whether he is "healthy" he should take the loss. At first GSP was doing that and now he's trying to cover his ass. A lot of fighters do it, but I hate it.

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. If you lose, you can only stay quiet for so long. People keep asking you questions. What do you do? Lie? The truth will eventually get out and then you are labeled as a liar. I guess the best you can do is not offer and immediate reason/excuse.

Again, I don't think he's trying to cover his ass. He has admitted he made the mistake himself (rather more than one mistake depending on how you look at it). Would it look better if he came back and won a fight or two and then reflected on this issue and said he learned from it?

The bottom line is that GSP got beat convincingly. IMO, there is nothing he said in that interview that took anything away from Serra.
skiba97
5/16/07 9:11:58PM
Well, tbf saying he only trained for 2 weeks or whatever says to me he wasnt taking serra seriusly at all, and saying hed of pulled out if he was fighting hughes suggests that he thought he was gona walk all over serra, which is kinda disrespectful. If Tim Sylvia said what gsp said, theres no way you or anyody else would be defending him, youd probably find about 80% or people flaming him. There was no need for gsp to say anything liek what he said, if he was injured or whatever, then lets wait till the rematch and see if he can walk through serra then.
Rush
5/16/07 9:20:57PM

Posted by skiba97
. If Tim Sylvia said what gsp said, theres no way you or anyody else would be defending him, youd probably find about 80% or people flaming him. There was no need for gsp to say anything liek what he said, if he was injured or whatever, then lets wait till the rematch and see if he can walk through serra then.

The difference between Tim and GSP (with regards to the way they fight) is that Tim never gives the impression that he's trying to win the fight. To me it looks like he is using his 'injury' as an excuse for a poor performance rather than the loss (or even win)

If you go in, balls to wall, and get beat down, does it really matter if you were injured. You still went in.

The other difference is that Tim mentions his 'injuies' right after a fight and he does it frequently.

All in all it's a debatable issue.

Posted by skiba97

Well, tbf saying he only trained for 2 weeks or whatever says to me he wasnt taking serra seriusly at all, and saying hed of pulled out if he was fighting hughes suggests that he thought he was gona walk all over serra, which is kinda disrespectful. .

Just to throw this out there, but does that justify Serra's reaction? To me he was directly disrespecting GSP. I'll say it again, Serra had the chance to be the bigger man and he failed.
nubby
5/16/07 10:29:19PM
I don't think anyone should be criticizing Serra right now. Wether or not he responds to GSP's comments is irrelevant. The simple fact is that GSP talked crap and has no class in my book. Serra has always been the way he is and as such no one should be surprised by his response.
Northrend
5/16/07 10:44:44PM
GSP shouldn't of said that but DAMN some of you people are calling him a dick and a classless person. That is pretty low, after all this is the same guy that after Hughes laughed at him loosing, saying all this crap about him and how he is French, and being a dickhead to him still respects and almost seems to like him. Yeah he might have said a couple of bad stuff but so has Serra, so has Hughes, so has everyone. I for one still love GSP. Oh and if you don't like GSP just cause he is French that is ****** up.
raindrops21
5/16/07 11:20:42PM
I think GSP needs to just stay quiet, say he lost "fairly squarly" and move on. Nobody likes excuses, wether it's an injury, bad training, training camp telling you you're the best, whatever it is. Rich Franklin has the right idea. He got beat by Silva and made no excuses.

I understand where GSP is coming from though. It's easier to make excuses than it is to accept the loss. He totally disrespected Serra. Serra can be abrasive, but he tells it like it is.

I am a big fan of GSP and will continue to be, but what he did was wrong. He took Serra lightly, as almost all of us did, and he got beat. Not only beat, but dominated from start to finish. It sucks seeing your favorite fighter lose, trust me, I hated to see Cro Cop lying unconscious on the mat, but what did he do, said he deserved it and moved on.

Hope to see GSP apologize and come back with a vengeance against Kos.
a1strait
5/17/07 11:12:28AM
I dont care I still think St. Pierre is a boss and now that Serra shows no interest in being friends or aqaintances with him, I believe that St. Pierre will have no problem letting his hands go the next time they fight. The St. Pierre that mauled the WW division is soon to return, just wait and see.
pv3Hpv3p
5/17/07 12:36:49PM
I'll throw in my two cents... Although I haven't heard the audio yet, I think I got the jist of it... I can understand both sides of the story to be honest... Matt's upset because he still gets very little respect from fans and fighters in his division, and this sort of seems to be the straw that broke the camels back (although he is known for being quite outspoken)...

And Georges, as long as he's telling the truth, seems like he waited for the imediate impact of the fight pass, before he tried to give any reasons for losing, so as it wouldn't look like he was making "excuses" for the lose, take that for what it's worth...

Like I said, I haven't heard the audio of GSP's comments, but it seems that things are being blown out of proportion a little... I still think GSP is a standup guy, I could imagine that it's difficult to answer questions like "why do you think you lost" without making them sound like excuses, and IMO Serra is just sick of getting the short end of everyone's opinion, and you can't really blame him for that...
MMA
5/17/07 12:40:21PM
I was initially pissed at first (still am a bit) but Serra did blow this out of proportion. You would think St. Pierre called Serra a chump or something from Serra's reaction but it was nothing of that sort. It did show us that St. Pierre has not fully matured yet and did not deserve to be champion with only a couple of weeks of training. I will admit that he was somewhat disrespectful though.
Rush
5/17/07 12:59:58PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p
Like I said, I haven't heard the audio of GSP's comments, but it seems that things are being blown out of proportion a little... I still think GSP is a standup guy, I could imagine that it's difficult to answer questions like "why do you think you lost" without making them sound like excuses, and IMO Serra is just sick of getting the short end of everyone's opinion, and you can't really blame him for that...

Listen to the audio. I don't understand why anyone would blow it out of proportion, but it has been. What GSP says in the audio could be taken out of context when read on the screen, but if you listen to how he says it it is not malicious in any way.

Another reason I don't think that GSP was intentially being disrespectful was that he trains with Renzo. It doesn't make sense why you would risk losing a (great) trainer over this. Thus, I think the comments have been blown out of proportion.

Taking a step back and thinking about the situation some more, I think Serra is now getting the taste of being a champion. His ego has probably grown (like anyone else's) larger than it ever has. The only difference between him and GSP is that Serra is not getting the respect he feels he deserves. I think that is pissing him off more than anything.

The bottom line is that I lost some respect for Serra on how he handled the situation. As I've said, he could've been the better man, but he chose to be an asshole. Some people may say he is 'telling us how it is', but I totally disagree. His comments were on a whole other lever than GSP's

It will be interesting to see if GSP and Serra apologize to each other and bury the hatchet. My feeling says that this will happen soon and I think GSP will initiate. The ball is in his court now.

As for the possibility that this is just a gimmick to play up a rematch. I don't see that being a case right now since Serra needs to defend his title before GSP even has a chance to get a title shot.
Stickan
5/17/07 3:50:17PM
Wow didn't see this coming. Serra is a really cool guy. Not just a nice guy but a guy that pulls no punches against jerks. Why would GSP talk crap about someone that has said nothing but good about him and praised him as the future of the sport for so long.

I lost huge amounts of respect for GSP and gained more for Serra. I hope GSP smartens up or I bet he'll lose a lot of fans.
kerazzle
5/17/07 4:27:56PM
GSP is a nice guy but h e seems to have a wishy-washy personality, I'm with Serra on this one.
paulhauffe
5/17/07 4:34:50PM
Im happy Serra is champ, got nothing but respect for the guy, but GSP isnt gonna make something up to save face! If anthing, he's at least waited for Serra to revel in his glory before saying it - not in the post fight interview like deadwood tim sylvia!
warglory
5/17/07 4:40:09PM
What the hell is GSP supposed to say guys? Like someone else said, he constantly gets asked about the fight, he can't just say the same damn thing over and over again. I believe what he spoke was the truth and it was not disrespectful. He under-appareciated the abilities of Serra, got his ass kicked, and now he regrets carrying on like that. He even called himself immature. If anything, he was complimenting Serra on his abilities, saying that he was a stronger foe that previously thought. Why Serra and most people posting comments in this thread are turning GSP's comments into shit talk is so far beyond the truth its astounding.
mkiv9secsupra
5/17/07 4:55:31PM
face it...GSP is a jerk but just wants to look like a nice guy in front of the cameras.
Stickan
5/17/07 5:01:40PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

face it...GSP is a jerk but just wants to look like a nice guy in front of the cameras.

I wouldn't go that far but I think he loves the image of him being the new randy couture a little too much. Randy is just a genuinely classy, great person where as GSP is a good person who tries to look even better in front of cameras.
pv3Hpv3p
5/17/07 5:07:56PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Is someone still a touch upset about him TKOing Hughes?
xthe_scottx
5/17/07 5:19:45PM
I don't think GSP is making it up, I think the people around him are making this stuff up. This will only improve the image of GSP to the newer fans and half the people that watch the UFC aren't the most intelligent people you'll ever met so they'll believe it too. It does seem disrespectful to Serra but that's no need for him to say **** you to GSP IMO.
mkiv9secsupra
5/17/07 6:29:51PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Is someone still a touch upset about him TKOing Hughes?

hahaha.....if i said yes would that make a difference? ha....
shackle
5/17/07 8:41:38PM
I seen some post on sherdog about this too.... Those guys are total idiots.(at least most of them)

GSP started the mess, but since so many people hug his nutts so hard it's fine for him to talk trash, but if serra says anything he is a total ass hole...? ( god I haaaaaaaate nutthuggers)

I don't understand this... but it's hard to understand people on the internet lol.. They are right everyone that disagrees is wrong, and they will fight to the death to make sure everyone agrees.

Even if I like a fighter alot I won't make excuses ever for them. It's MMA crap happens deal with it. MMA fans sometimes are ridiculous. You lose a fight you lost point blank. If you where hurt you shouldn't of took the fight.

I think GSP has been playing a little scheme for the fans(mister nice guy). So far it seems he is a swore loser at least when it comes to someone everyone thought he would run over.
raindrops21
5/17/07 9:30:12PM

Posted by shackle

I seen some post on sherdog about this too.... Those guys are total idiots.(at least most of them)

GSP started the mess, but since so many people hug his nutts so hard it's fine for him to talk trash, but if serra says anything he is a total ass hole...? ( god I haaaaaaaate nutthuggers)

I don't understand this... but it's hard to understand people on the internet lol.. They are right everyone that disagrees is wrong, and they will fight to the death to make sure everyone agrees.

Even if I like a fighter alot I won't make excuses ever for them. It's MMA crap happens deal with it. MMA fans sometimes are ridiculous. You lose a fight you lost point blank. If you where hurt you shouldn't of took the fight.

I think GSP has been playing a little scheme for the fans(mister nice guy). So far it seems he is a swore loser at least when it comes to someone everyone thought he would run over.

Good post. I don't make excuses for any fighters I like. But it does suck when you build them up to your friends (see: Mirko Cro Cop) and he gets demolished in front of your eyes. Makes you feel stupid, but most everyone understands its a fight, and anything can happen.

I think GSP thought Serra would come in with no stand-up and look to shoot the whole time. GSP was going to sprawl and brawl and pick his shots until he caught Serra. Problem was, Serra came out swinging and totally threw GSP for a loop. Serra fought the better fight and won. Fairly Squarly.
Rush
5/17/07 11:39:27PM

Posted by shackle

Why is it that if someone sticks up for a favorite athlete in a debatable situation they are labeled a nut-hugger? GSP didn't talk trash at all. Did you even listen to the interview?

Look at the two sets of comments made by both parties.

Serra was a lot more personal and harsh in his words. If GSP went on the radio show and said "Fuck you Yankee", I wouldn't defend that at all. But he didn't say anything like that. Not by a long shot.

Serra's reaction to the whole scenario has shown me a side of him that I never thought existed. Mind you some people say the same thing about GSP's comments, which is why the situation is debatable.
hughesfan1
5/21/07 4:41:37PM
GSP is being a punk and Serra is completly justified in being pissed.
kaduey
5/21/07 9:58:29PM
I am a huge GSP fan but his comments were retarded. Before the fight he said that he trained harder then ever before for Serra and that he didn't take him too lighlty. To come out now and reverse prior statements is a complete cop out.
hughesfan1
5/21/07 10:32:40PM
I agree I'm a big fan of GSP's talent but not his personality or attitude that's why I called him a punk.
Northrend
5/21/07 11:00:18PM

Posted by hughesfan1

I agree I'm a big fan of GSP's talent but not his personality or attitude that's why I called him a punk.

His personality? This is the guy that is respectfull to all of his opponents...to Matt Hughes who is still a mean person to GSP and disrespecting him because he is from France and other things. The same guy that after his first ever time of saying the wrong thing openly appologized to Matt Serra and said he realized it was the wrong thing to say. He is very young and he is a bigger man and has a better personality then many fighters in their 30's. You can't say his attitude is any worse then your fav fighter Hughes can you?

Infused
5/21/07 11:02:54PM
I think that Serra definatly had a right to be mad, but he made a mistake by sinking down to his rivals level by making a rebutale such as his.

Serra also took it to far and started to bash the shit out of GSP by making out of line comments. Now GSP came back and showed he was the bigger man by saying sorry, and explaining why such comments were made on The Savage Dog Show.
Pages: [1] 2