GSP ranked #1 WW in the world by MMAweekly and Sherdog

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » GSP ranked #1 WW in the world by MMAweekly and Sherdog
Next Page »
Tailgunner
1/5/08 5:24:25PM
GSP has knocked Serra off the number 1 position FINALLY, I wonder where Serra will rank after he loses to GSP and then Hughes?
tuvok500
1/5/08 5:27:10PM
Serra will go back at the 25th spot after his lost against GSP at Montreal !!

but for the moment, i keep Serra #1 in my ranking, like GSP said, it is Serra the champ .

Porch28
1/5/08 5:38:15PM
I love how everyone thinks Serra is going to lose. I could swear he be the crap out of GSP who was heavily favored last time. Georges will fall again. Don't under estimate Serra. He is the Champ!!!!!!!!
Tailgunner
1/5/08 5:59:28PM

Posted by tuvok500

but for the moment, i keep Serra #1 in my ranking, like GSP said, it is Serra the champ .

Well your MMA math is odd then, one fight does not make you #1 in the world. It might make you the UFC champ but thats it.
kevietre
1/5/08 6:16:43PM

Posted by Porch28

I love how everyone thinks Serra is going to lose. I could swear he be the crap out of GSP who was heavily favored last time. Georges will fall again. Don't under estimate Serra. He is the Champ!!!!!!!!

Its def. possible. A lot of people are counting out Serra. Look at the first fight. GSP destroyed Hughes at 65 and Serra said "Im not getting caught up in what he did to Matt Hughes GOOD He's not going to do that to me!" Now GSP destroyed Hughes at 79 and we're in the same situation.

I like Serra a lot but I don't think he deserves to be ranked #1 just because you had one upset for the title. GSP is has faced and defeated tougher competition than Serra. I can't wait for this fight it's going to be a war this time instead of a quick KO.
crushedbacon
1/5/08 6:23:48PM
Yeah I'm curious to Serra's game plan for this one. Seriously where can he beat GSP, unless he rattles him with that 1/100 bomb and capitalizes, is there anything he can actually do? I give him credit for that win, but he's in way over his head. GSP made Hughes look like he was 100 lbs the way he controlled him all over the octagon and that's Matt Hughes, I hate him but he's a strong mofo. Serra is gonna walk into the Bell Centre and its gonna blow his mind. It's going be the most red and white he's ever seen. 20,000 + drunk as hell Candians all in his face. Serra should feel like he's on death row, it's inevitable GSP WW champ .
tuvok500
1/5/08 6:30:28PM

Posted by Tailgunner

Posted by tuvok500

Well your MMA math is odd then, one fight does not make you #1 in the world. It might make you the UFC champ but thats it.

No no man, the UFC WW Champ is the #1 in the world, there is no other WW champ somewhere else who can even be ranked in the top 5 of the UFC WW division.

Serra is the Champ so he is # 1 but because he really just WON is place to a title shot instead of moving up slowly like normally, he will go back at his original place where he was before.

an internet ranking like Sherdog and MMAweekly are just not credible .
2 guys fighting in the same organization can not be reversed in the ranking like that without having fight to determine the champ, we are talking about the guy with the belt, how can a guy in the same organization can be rank higher without having beat the champ and won the belt ?? it is just ridiculous.

Serra is not retire yet i think.

MacAttack27
1/5/08 6:55:15PM
Anybody coming to Montreal in April for the fights?
Tailgunner
1/5/08 7:05:40PM

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by Tailgunner

Posted by tuvok500

No no man, the UFC WW Champ is the #1 in the world, there is no other WW champ somewhere else who can even be ranked in the top 5 of the UFC WW division.

Serra is the Champ so he is # 1 but because he really just WON is place to a title shot instead of moving up slowly like normally, he will go back at his original place where he was before.

2 guys fighting in the same organization can not be reversed in the ranking like that without having fight to determine the champ, we are talking about the guy with the belt, how can a guy in the same organization can be rank higher without having beat the champ and won the belt ?? it is just ridiculous.

Actually its not so ridiculous when you think about who GSP has beaten compared to Serra.

GSP has beaten more top ten fighters in the last 3 years than any other current fighter in MMA and thats a fact.

Who has Serra beaten? How many top ten fighters has Serra fought in the last 3 years?

MMAweekly and Sherdog rankings are correct tuvok except Serra should be ranked below the top five.
silverbullet
1/5/08 7:41:46PM

Posted by tuvok500

What does holding a "belt" in one particular MMA organization have to do with being the best MMA fighter in the world?
tuvok500
1/5/08 7:43:16PM

Posted by Tailgunner

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by Tailgunner

Posted by tuvok500

Actually its not so ridiculous when you think about who GSP has beaten compared to Serra.

GSP has beaten more top ten fighters in the last 3 years than any other current fighter in MMA and thats a fact.

Who has Serra beaten? How many top ten fighters has Serra fought in the last 3 years?

MMAweekly and Sherdog rankings are correct tuvok except Serra should be ranked below the top five.

I know that Serra have beated almost nobody but Serra was ranked #1 just because of 1 win over GSP so why suddently his win and his UFC belt should be no longer enough to be #1 ahead of GSP ??
last time i check GSP did not beat Serra yet.
If they were really ranked the fighters acording to there past years record they were not suppose to have Serra #1 for 1 year now, his record was not better by that time.

i hate Serra but i am also fair and the guy with the belt is ranked higher than the others guys specially when they fight in the same organization ( UFC ) .

DevonFoxy
1/5/08 7:46:15PM
Weird how this is in the news forum and not somewhere else but any ways

Serra could win and having the fight in Canada plays into Serra's hands far more then GSP's imo.
The pressure may get to GSP which could result in another quote un quote "upset".
If GSP thinks he had pressure going into the first fight he is in for a rude awakening in this one. GSP will be hyped and excited but if he stands with Serra I think we will have the same outcome. Fact of the matter is I really feel GSP's stand up is not nearly as good as people believe and Serra has better hands on him no matter what the reach.
Goes to the ground i think gsp has the advantage in GnP not jits but he can prolly GnP him to a win or lay on him trying to finish him and go to a UD.
I really dislike Matt Serra a lot but I'm sure Serra will be a huge underdog and if GSP stands with him and gets hit in the face and feels the carpet being pulled out from under him he may go into panic mode again.
Worried for GSP but this could pull right into Hughes hand as he may get the shot at Serra if everything goes down hill.
Could get interesting.
Tailgunner
1/5/08 7:48:38PM

Posted by tuvok500

I know that Serra have beated almost nobody but Serra was ranked #1 just because of 1 win over GSP so why suddently his win and his UFC belt should be no longer enough to be #1 ahead of GSP ??
If they were really ranked the fighters acording to there past years record they were not suppose to have Serra #1 for 1 year now, his record was not better by that time.

i hate Serra but i am also fair and the guy with the belt is ranked higher than the others guys specially when they fight in the same organization ( UFC ) .

Your logic is flawed because Randy couture(who IS the current HW UFC champ) beat Tim Sylvia and Gonzaga, Fedor hasn't beat ANYONE recently in the UFC yet he is ranked #1 by everyone
tuvok500
1/5/08 7:54:38PM

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by tuvok500

What does holding a "belt" in one particular MMA organization have to do with being the best MMA fighter in the world?

It is only fairness, if you still rank the loser of a fight higher than the winner, well, i really don't want to fight for you.

when we have many champ of many organization, well, you have to put the champ of the tuffer organization in #1 after that you go down slowly, but if you have a fighter of the same organization of the champ , you can not ranked him higher, it is like saying that the champ have already lose the fight against the challenger.

i know that Serra will be destroy in Montreal but i will wait to see the belt around GSP's body before removing Serra of the top.

and because Serra got his title shot without climming the ranking normally, i will bring back Serra close to where he was before fighting GSP in first place.

Tailgunner
1/5/08 7:55:51PM

Posted by DevonFoxy

Fact of the matter is I really feel GSP's stand up is not nearly as good as people believe and Serra has better hands on him no matter what the reach.
Goes to the ground i think gsp has the advantage in GnP not jits but he can prolly GnP him to a win or lay on him trying to finish him and go to a UD.
I.

How do people come up with this nonsense...

GSP has 5 TKOS and 3 Subs
Serra has 2 TKOS and 1 Sub.

How can anyone think Serra has better hands or ground game than GSP??

The facts are clear GSP is better in EVERY regards and if he didn't lose to Serra we wouldn't even be discussing this.
tuvok500
1/5/08 7:57:52PM

Posted by Tailgunner

Posted by tuvok500

Your logic is flawed because Randy couture(who IS the current HW UFC champ) beat Tim Sylvia and Gonzaga, Fedor hasn't beat ANYONE recently in the UFC yet he is ranked #1 by everyone

That why i told you that their ranking are not credible.

At some place they are ridiculous, at some others they are logic and in the middle they are too soon. lol

cmill21
1/5/08 7:58:58PM
GSP should be above Serra. Sorry I just don't agree 1 win should give you the #1 spot, and thats all Serra has.
Porch28
1/5/08 7:59:37PM
Serra is leading the take over of Canada we will call it USA North and you can't speak french there. One more thing the fighters don't make up the rankings supposed experts do. Rankings don't mean squat and if they did GSp would have beaten Serra and he would have never beaten Hughes. GSP got OWNED!!!!!!!!! by Serra
vick_vega
1/5/08 8:05:28PM
True
tuvok500
1/5/08 8:06:21PM

Posted by cmill21

GSP should be above Serra. Sorry I just don't agree 1 win should give you the #1 spot, and thats all Serra has.

When it is for the belt , 1 win make you the #1 and if you beat the champ you are better than him for the moment atleast.
it is not a 4 of 7 !!
you know that GSP is my favorite fighter and if i listen to my hearth i will rank GSP # 1 because i am sure that he is better than Serra but the fact is that Serra beated him and untill GSP's revenge it is too soon to move up GSP above Serra.
It is only because on the championship belt that Serra is there in the ranking and as soon as he will lose it , bye bye Serra !!

Tailgunner
1/5/08 8:21:36PM

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by cmill21

When it is for the belt , 1 win make you the #1 and if you beat the champ you are better than him for the moment atleast.
it is not a 4 of 7 !

Tuvok it's called a "ranking" because its based on a series of past events, as in ranks up or down a ladder.

I think that if Serra had "worked" and earned his way up the ranks then he would be a legitimate pick for #1 but he clearly didn't do this.

You have to earn a #1 ranking, you can't win one fight and leapfrog an entire division and thats EXACTLY what Serra did.

Serra should never had been ranked #1 by anybody but the UFC.
tuvok500
1/5/08 8:42:26PM

Posted by Tailgunner

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by cmill21

it is not a 4 of 7 !

Tuvok it's called a "ranking" because its based on a series of past events, as in ranks up or down a ladder.

I think that if Serra had "worked" and earned his way up the ranks then he would be a legitimate pick for #1 but he clearly didn't do this.

You have to earn a #1 ranking, you can't win one fight and leapfrog an entire division and thats EXACTLY what Serra did.

Serra should never had been ranked #1 by anybody but the UFC.

Personnally i rank fighters by there actual performance, not by their over the years fights. Serra beated GSP , he is still the champ, he is ranked above GSP so if you have GSP on top , Serra have to be higher.
it is like that in every organization , you win you go up you lose you go down, it is not " well you were good in 2005 and you have 7 KO in your career so we will give you the same ranking place even if you have 2 lost in a row ".

i am sorry but is it call the 2008 ranking not the overall ranking of all time.

mrsmiley
1/5/08 8:54:31PM
Serra over GSP,Gonzaga over CC,etc.

If anything,the end of 07 proved the skill level of MMA fighters is getting on an even playing field.Sure Serra doesn't have the most stellar record,but Anderson Silva didn't have a "FEDORISH" record either.With as great as Serra looked against GSP,it's really hard to say it was a fluke.Serra came out and looked great,pressing the action.GSP choked,and then he lost.Maybe Serra can pull out another upset.Regardless,Serra is the champ until GSP can prove he can beat him.Things are looking good for GSP,but once two guys get in the octagon you never know what's going to happen.
jiujitsufreak74
1/5/08 8:58:14PM

Posted by tuvok500

exactly...
NatedawgThaM
1/5/08 9:01:35PM
Wow, he gets completely killed by Matt Serra and then all of the sudden a win over a past his prime, lost his step, Matt Hughes and that launches him into P4P status?

I do think GSP is a great fighter, but to put him over Anderson and Rampage when he hasn't even avenged that loss yet?

MMAweekly is a complete joke. There rankings have been sh*t the first time I saw them last summer

They could have at least waited until he avenged the loss
ocho-cinco
1/5/08 9:04:42PM
I can't wait until April!
rabbit915
1/5/08 10:03:56PM

The facts are clear GSP is better in EVERY regards and if he didn't lose to Serra we wouldn't even be discussing this.

But the point is that he did lose to Serra. Im sure a lot of guys records would look very good if they ignored their losses.

To have a fighter ranked higher than another fighter who has recently beaten him is ludicrous.
candynuts
1/5/08 10:15:16PM
Hmmmm... not too many people believe in the quote "To be the best, you have to beat the best."

Was GSP not the BEST when Serra BEAT him???

I guess this is the exception to the saying?
grappler0000
1/5/08 10:36:38PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Wow, he gets completely killed by Matt Serra and then all of the sudden a win over a past his prime, lost his step, Matt Hughes and that launches him into P4P status?

I do think GSP is a great fighter, but to put him over Anderson and Rampage when he hasn't even avenged that loss yet?

MMAweekly is a complete joke. There rankings have been sh*t the first time I saw them last summer

They could have at least waited until he avenged the loss

So, what should happen with Rampage until he avenges the losses to Silva and Shogun? A. Silva doesn't have a squeaky clean record either...so what are you suggesting?
Tailgunner
1/5/08 10:49:25PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by NatedawgThaM

QUOTE]

So, what should happen with Rampage until he avenges the losses to Silva and Shogun? A. Silva doesn't have a squeaky clean record either...so what are you suggesting?

Exactly anyone with a logical thought process would realise that one win or one loss does not add up to the total sum of wins or losses in a fighters career.

Take another look at the theory some of you are proposing, say the New England patriots would have lost to the Miami dolphins would you say the Dolphins should be ranked above the Pats because of one win??

No you wouldn't because each teams record defines where they get ranked, just like in MMA!!!!

Its not that difficult if you really try and use logic to understand how a "ranking" system works.

Serra doesn't belong in the top five IMHO and in the opinions of most MMA fighters.

Next year at this time you won't even read about Matt Serra on ANY mma forum.
Pages: [1] 2