What if GSP or Randy got caught using steroids?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » What if GSP or Randy got caught using steroids?
Rush
2/20/08 3:01:11PM
Well? It was a question my wife asked me a week or so again. What if one or both of these guys, considered to be two of the most consummate gentlemen in MMA, were caught with a positive steroid test?

Whould you believe it? Would you not want to be their fan any more?

Personally, as much as I believe that not every positive test is a true positive, I would definitiely look at them differently and may question their previous wins. I would still enjoy watching them fight, but I don't think I would be fans of either.
waylon_o
2/20/08 3:08:25PM
I don't even want to think about it haha. I don't know...Randy is huge. I don't think he's done roids, but he was big in the 90's too when steroids were more prevalent. I don't think he did, but it wouldn't surprise me. He's had a lot of championship bouts, and all championship bout competitors get tested. He's never had a positive that we know of, so I doubt if he has. I personally would probably give them the benefit of the doubt until it was undoubtedly proven.
Silent-Sir
2/20/08 3:30:30PM
Honestly, I think I would lose a great deal of respect for them. These guys are everything that's good about MMA and every fighter should strive to present themselves the same way as these two gentlemen. If it ever came out that they used steroids I don't think I could ever, in good conscience, cheer for them again.
Tailgunner
2/20/08 3:42:27PM
Like the old saying goes....."It ain't a crime if you don't get caught".
fullerene
2/20/08 3:47:50PM
It'a a pretty optimistic group here so I'll keep my opinions in private forums.
MALICE
2/20/08 3:52:52PM
I would look at it the same way I looked at the Sherk case. Whether they were proven guilty or not, it will always sit in the back of your mind. I would be disappointed, but I would give them a second chance to prove themselves.

In Randy's case, the consequences would be far more extreme. Everyone respects Randy Couture in one way or another. Fighting at his age. The titles he won. What he is trying to do for the sport now. If he were caught using, I know he would let a lot of people down and it would be much like the Bonds story. He would be doubted for years to come, and he would NEVER hear the end of it.
loonytnt
2/20/08 4:02:37PM
if they did its bad all there is to it
Pitbull09
2/20/08 4:36:17PM
I cant see either of them doing it. GSP has to much on the line to get caught and Randy is almost retired. If any thing, I think roids can ruin a MMA fighter career far more than baseball and football. It deteriorates your joints over time and just wouldnt keep you competitive in the cage anymore.

The bigger question is "What happens to Randy Couture's Nickname?"
Randy "The Natural?" Couture
Randy "The Natural at sticking needles in his butt" Couture

roger
2/20/08 4:36:50PM
I WOULD HAVE A DIFFERNT PROspective of them, i can't say i would not be there fan just not as much
emfleek
2/20/08 4:39:20PM

Posted by xxMALICExx

I would look at it the same way I looked at the Sherk case. Whether they were proven guilty or not, it will always sit in the back of your mind. I would be disappointed, but I would give them a second chance to prove themselves.

In Randy's case, the consequences would be far more extreme. Everyone respects Randy Couture in one way or another. Fighting at his age. The titles he won. What he is trying to do for the sport now. If he were caught using, I know he would let a lot of people down and it would be much like the Bonds story. He would be doubted for years to come, and he would NEVER hear the end of it.

I agree. It would definitely be in the back of my mind. Whether or not I'd cheer for them...eh, I'm not sure. None of my favorite fighters/athletes have ever been caught so I'm not sure how I'd react in that regard.
NatedawgThaM
2/20/08 4:47:11PM
I wouldn't be surprised. Randy is a 40 something year old doing great in the UFC and steroids would explain a lot. GSP also looks bigger then he use to be IMO.
kevietre
2/20/08 5:28:56PM
Randy would never use roids he knows better. He's freakin Captain America. I dont think GSP woul deither but I was shocked when I heard Royce Gracie tested positive so you never know.
Rush
2/20/08 7:11:12PM
I'm reading some replies and kind of get the impression that some of you are misunderstanding the question.

I am NOT asking if you think GSP and Randy were using steroids.

I AM asking, hypothetically, what would you think of them IF they were caught.

I am just curious as to how people feel. The purpose of this thread is not to trap any body or anything like that. I am just curious as to how people feel about it.

I always hesitate before answering a question like this, but since a good poster asked it directly...I would gain respect for the testing agencies and lose no respect for either fighter. I already qualify their acheivements with the fact that they are obvious users of performance enhancers.

So I want to make sure I understand this. You assume that all great fighters (and other athletes??) use or have used performance enhancers?

Under what premise would gain respect for the testing agencies? I don't see why you would.

Regarding the comments about it hurting Randy more.... how so? He's at the end of his career and will only affect him if he plans on continuing his career in MMA as a non-fighter. It hurt GSP just as much because he potentially still has 10 years in his fighting career and possibly more thereafter.
MALICE
2/20/08 7:27:15PM

Posted by Rush

Regarding the comments about it hurting Randy more.... how so? He's at the end of his career and will only affect him if he plans on continuing his career in MMA as a non-fighter. It hurt GSP just as much because he potentially still has 10 years in his fighting career and possibly more thereafter.

Yes, I completely agree. But what I was trying to say is if GSP WAS ever accused of using roids, he, like Sherk, would have time to come back and prove to everyone that he is a great fighter, and the roids incident will be forgotten.

Randy, being close to the end of his career, can't do this. If he were caught using roids it would be a big slash on his legacy.

Much like Bonds in baseball. He is the homerun leader, but many people will always say "Yeah, But how many would he have hit if he wasn't on roids?"

Roids do not give you technique, I know that, but many others do not understand that.
Rush
2/20/08 10:15:18PM

Posted by xxMALICExx

Yes, I completely agree. But what I was trying to say is if GSP WAS ever accused of using roids, he, like Sherk, would have time to come back and prove to everyone that he is a great fighter, and the roids incident will be forgotten.

Oh ok. I wasn't looking at it in terms of redemption.
Kpro
2/20/08 11:15:57PM
It depends on the banned substance.

Some of those substances on the banned list are just everyday legal substances for a non-competitive athlete.

Yet reputations get ran through the mud just the same as if it were a hardcore roid cycle.
stock
2/21/08 8:53:04AM
Honestly, I just would not care.

I will also say that NOBODY gets a free pass for being a "nice guy" when it comes to using/not using steroids.
That has absolutely nothing to do with it.
Manfred
2/21/08 4:42:48PM
After Royce got busted last year, nothing would surprise me. He's the LAST person I thought would get busted.
jiujitsufreak74
2/21/08 4:47:44PM

Posted by Manfred

After Royce got busted last year, nothing would surprise me. He's the LAST person I thought would get busted.

no, if nate diaz or corey hill got busted, that would be the last thing i would expect.

anyway, if either of these two fighters were caught using steroids it would be detrimental to MMA. i wold lose respect for both, their accomplishments would be tainted and one of the most heartfelt stories in MMA (Randy's Career) would not be as innocent and perfect as we imagined. i hate the use of performance enhancers in sports and it would kill me if these two athletes wound up with steroids. i would hold them to the same standard as everyone else who gets caught and i would not play favorites. if you get caught with steroids, you are no longer respectable in my eyes.