GSP vs Penn 2: Lived up to the hype?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » GSP vs Penn 2: Lived up to the hype?
POLL: did it live up?
sure... 33% (16)
sorta 14% (7)
not really 12% (6)
no 24% (12)
twas boring 12% (6)
don king shoulda been referee 4% (2)
EvenFlow
2/1/09 8:27:41PM
I can understand if you're a GSP fan and you're happy with the fight because he won but face it the majority of that fight was boring at least imho. GSP was on top for 3 outta 4 rounds playing it safe while trying to do so in the 1st round too and I realize this was his plan but for the so called "Greatest fight in our time" it sure wasnt. I also think once he realized that George was only trying to take him down BJ started to quit, he should have gone for broke so its partly his fault for saying he wanted this so bad but clearly didnt as much.

Congrats to George on the win but hes turning into Sean Sherk in a lot of ways, depending solely on athleticism, strength and the "ability" to grind out a win instead of trying to be exciting. In the Fitch fight he knew he wasnt really in danger of losing anywhere and stood most of the time with Fitch, a guy who has mediocre standup. This fight was most disappointing in that the questions are still the same after this fight, nothing was really solidified in my mind.
FrankTheTank1181
2/1/09 8:38:34PM
What kind of questions are left? I would agree the fight card as a whole was pretty boring. I'm not sure how Diaz/Guida got Fight Of The Night, Guida just latched onto Diaz for 15 minutes, definetly not fight of the night material.
EvenFlow
2/1/09 8:41:22PM
It was the same fight all over again, takedown then lnp or gnp, it didnt show whos the better fighter imo just whos stronger and who can grind out for points.

edit: plus gsp is being investigated for cheating (greasing) melvin guillard style
FrankTheTank1181
2/1/09 8:53:55PM
Did I miss something? St. Pierre beat BJ at every aspect and he did it for 4 rounds until the fight was stopped. I mean he passed BJ's guard like he was a jiu-jitsu novice, who else has done that? I'm not sure how that's grinding out points.
EvenFlow
2/1/09 8:57:21PM
Like I said he won the fight on strength and athleticism, which is grinding out the win for points, when he did stand it wasnt long and BJ didnt quit the doc stopped the fight, and read what I just said, GSP is being accused and probably investigated for greasing, pretty hard to slap on a sub when your possibly cheating.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
2/1/09 8:57:38PM
Didnt live up to the hype because bj isn't on the level of a 2009 gsp. When Have you seen sean sherk take people down and pass the guard(especially a bj penn quality guard over 5 times)? IF that was lay and pray why didnt bj want to fight a 5th round? Why didnt bj show up ot the post fight press conference? Lay and prayed all the way to the hospital .

Gsp alves will live up to the hype
EvenFlow
2/1/09 9:07:20PM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

Didnt live up to the hype because bj isn't on the level of a 2009 gsp. When Have you seen sean sherk take people down and pass the guard(especially a bj penn quality guard over 5 times)? IF that was lay and pray why didnt bj want to fight a 5th round? Why didnt bj show up ot the post fight press conference? Lay and prayed all the way to the hospital .

GSP is far beyond Sherk I dont see the point of that comparison

When your stronger than someone passing guard is that much easier.

My point is GSP played it safe and I was hoping he'd mixed it up more.
FrankTheTank1181
2/1/09 9:13:05PM
It's also hard to put on a submission while getting hit with punches and elbows, but I see your point. If the vasoline incident was such a big deal, the Athletic Commission Officials that were there could have dealt with it, but we will see I guess. Also, if you watch the fight again, you will see it was one of his cornermen that said to the doctor, "We're stoppin' it".

edit: That corner man was his brother.
tuvok500
2/1/09 9:16:55PM
It was absolutely perfect, a perfect humiliation of a so call GOD !!
Bj you are suppose to be good in striking, GSP beat you there, you are hard to take down, GSP took you down at will, you have a impossible to pass guard, GSP passed it like it was nothing, you are not a quitter, you ******* quit, your brother is not allowed to call the shot for you and you know it, you were out, you told him and he repeated your words to the ref !!

Perfect event in my point of view, and for those who still thing ,well BJ was hard to takedown in rd 1, i have to tell you that GSP was just gassing BJ slowly with a single leg takedown attempt, he was not going full speed and full throttle and you know it !!

As for the vaseline, total disgrace and shame on BJ who is a poor loser.

grappler0000
2/1/09 9:22:24PM

Posted by EvenFlow

I'm guessing the comparison came from here:

Posted by EvenFlow

Congrats to George on the win but hes turning into Sean Sherk in a lot of ways, depending solely on athleticism, strength and the "ability" to grind out a win instead of trying to be exciting.

warglory
2/1/09 9:22:44PM

Posted by EvenFlow

I can understand if you're a GSP fan and you're happy with the fight because he won but face it the majority of that fight was boring at least imho. GSP was on top for 3 outta 4 rounds playing it safe while trying to do so in the 1st round too and I realize this was his plan but for the so called "Greatest fight in our time" it sure wasnt. I also think once he realized that George was only trying to take him down BJ started to quit, he should have gone for broke so its partly his fault for saying he wanted this so bad but clearly didnt as much.

Congrats to George on the win but hes turning into Sean Sherk in a lot of ways, depending solely on athleticism, strength and the "ability" to grind out a win instead of trying to be exciting. In the Fitch fight he knew he wasnt really in danger of losing anywhere and stood most of the time with Fitch, a guy who has mediocre standup. This fight was most disappointing in that the questions are still the same after this fight, nothing was really solidified in my mind.

I am really confused by your point of view. He outclassed a future hall of famer in every way, I don't see how he was merely grinding out a win. I didn't see any grinding in this match at all.
EvenFlow
2/1/09 10:19:44PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by EvenFlow

Congrats to George on the win but hes turning into Sean Sherk in a lot of ways, depending solely on athleticism, strength and the "ability" to grind out a win instead of trying to be exciting.

Yeah, but GSP is stronger than Sherk and I doubt Sean could do that to BJ even if he tried to early on or later on in their fight.
jocka
2/1/09 10:20:49PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by EvenFlow

I am really confused by your point of view. He outclassed a future hall of famer in every way, I don't see how he was merely grinding out a win. I didn't see any grinding in this match at all.

Its not to hard to see that he was rooting for penn, if gsp got rapped the way gj penn was yesterday we would be hearing a different speach now. Lol it was an wasesome fight, i never seen someone pass bj's guard like that for a guy thats suppose to be one of the best bjj guys in the buisiness outch... I understand that their is a big difference between mma and bjj but penn has great mms bjj, he could'nt sweep gsp or submit him.

i knew that gsp would make penn look bad and the fact that penn quit is just the icing on the cake, yesterday was sweeeeet.
Twenty20Dollars
2/1/09 10:32:30PM
GSP lived up the hype and took Bj's hype too, into a complete domination.
EvenFlow
2/1/09 10:37:42PM

Posted by jocka

Posted by warglory

Posted by EvenFlow

Its not to hard to see that he was rooting for penn, if gsp got rapped the way gj penn was yesterday we would be hearing a different speach now. Lol it was an wasesome fight, i never seen someone pass bj's guard like that for a guy thats suppose to be one of the best bjj guys in the buisiness outch... I understand that their is a big difference between mma and bjj but penn has great mms bjj, he could'nt sweep gsp or submit him.

i knew that gsp would make penn look bad and the fact that penn quit is just the icing on the cake, yesterday was sweeeeet.

Yeah I didnt want George to win, not because I dont like him, its because of his fans tbh. I wouldnt be gloating like the GSP fanboys do or making a "F.U." thread if BJ won, I just wanted GSP to at least be exciting again.. for at least half of the fight. We'll see what happens with this greasing incident first.
Tein_Lung
2/1/09 10:40:50PM
The Doc did not stop the fight BJs bro stoped the fight when he realized that his brother was getting his ass beat like a red headed step child...

GSP won the same way he beats all his opponents he does what no-one thinks can be done... he took BJ down with ease for the most part then past the guard that was "unpassable" and he beat the snot out of him... He made BJ look like he did not belong at 170 and thats exactly what BJ needed to have happen for him to become a better fighter... he needed an ass whoopin... and BJ is crying for an excuse to play off his ass beating when the whole greasing thing... because honestly there was never a time that it would of made a differance...

It was classic BJ VS super GSP... BJ was gassed after the first round and GPS just turned it up...
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
2/1/09 11:28:00PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by EvenFlow

HMA123
2/1/09 11:40:59PM
IMHO i really dont think this lived up to the hype at all. I wouldnt even say my top 10 fights. It was only exciting because of hype, if that makes sense.

And someone noted he seems like he is turning into Sean Sherk; i slighty agree,and disagree.

Relations:
Goes for the takedown and finishes it 80% of the time.
Hard to put him on his back hen hes on top.
Hard to submit.
GnP guys.

Non:
I love Sherk, but definetly does not have the guard passing abilities on the ground as GSP.

GSP seems to be more elusive on the ground as the Shark just seems to be more aggresive.

Doesn't have the SUBS to really submit anyone like Pierre can.

Just shows how good of a grappler GSP really is. Props to him.
tuvok500
2/1/09 11:53:10PM

Posted by HMA123

IMHO i really dont think this lived up to the hype at all. I wouldnt even say my top 10 fights. It was only exciting because of hype, if that makes sense. And someone noted he seems like he is turning into Sean Sherk; i slighty agree, never thought about it, but he has been just taking his opponents down and GnP, alot more classier then Sherk, but we still get the point.

Just shows how good of a grappler GSP really is. Props to him.

The hype came from the complete OVERESTIMATION of BJ talent.

I posted several time that this fight wasn't going to be close, a 1 way fight for GSP.

I received a lot of answer like : no way GSP gonna destroy BJ.

Bj will win the first 2 rd for SURE with his so call amazing striking ! lol

or : thinking that the # 2 P4P vs the #3P4P will be a 1 way fight is just stupid and show a lack of mma knowledge ! lol make me laugh

the reality is that the "bj fans " hype came from the fact that they were unable to see BJ as he really is, he got destroyed by Hughes then moved down and only beat Pulver, Joe, and Sherk, come on, what the hell those wins proved, that he can beat low to mid level fighters and 1 wrestler who decided to boxe with 1 feet reach disadvantage.

Of course the trash talking that BJ did was part of the hype but when you can't back your words it is going to be very disappointing for your fans.

Wolfenstein
2/2/09 12:33:12AM
I don't think it lived up to the hype in terms of being competitive, but I still felt it was exciting. George came prepared, and BJ didn't. He looked gassed by the second round. If it didn't live up to the hype, it was no fault of George, it was BJ's lack of preparation. To live up to the hype...well it takes two to tango.

I didn't see George laying on BJ. GSP was taking BJ down and passing his guard, he was constantly posturing and landing heavy shots. Even in the standup George was beginning to pummel a gassed BJ that couldn't keep his gloves up.

George landed 297 strikes to BJ's 63 strikes landed.

You would think someone who spent so much time on his back would have tried a submission attempt, but no, BJ didn't have a single submission attempt.

When you break it down GSP landed one strike every four seconds. I don't know how he could have performed any better, or been any more exciting.

gartface
2/2/09 1:41:09AM

Posted by Wolfenstein

You would think someone who spent so much time on his back would have tried a submission attempt, but no, BJ didn't have a single submission attempt.

Any time he tried to use rubberguard to transition for submissions, his legs slid down Georges' back.
scobac
2/2/09 3:06:32AM
i dont think the fight lived up to the hype, a fight that one sided cant possibly live up to the hype it was given. i was pullin for bj, but once again it looked like he didnt put the work in during his training camp. knowing he was fighting a monster like gsp he should have come in lookin cut. he should have put the bulk on as muscle not twinkie fat. he is very talented but a very lazy fighter. another thing, i think people overrate his bjj. i believe it probably was as great as they it was 10 years ago but that was then all he wants to do now is stand in there and box, which is exciting to watch but dosnt make him the pfp best. not to mention he couldnt out wrestle 10 yr old in grade school. im a fan of both fighters but once again bj disapoints all his fans and for me im not buyiing into his "super human" abilitys again.
cmill21
2/2/09 3:35:13AM
I thought it was pretty boring. All in all though the UFC does such a good job at hyping fights that some seems to think that Lesnar Randy was the biggest fight ever, and this was #2. Well they weren't and people walk away dissapointed, props to the UFC for doing a damn fine job.
casey64
2/2/09 8:55:17AM
No
haggiswashere
2/2/09 3:18:52PM
I wish it was a little more competitive but it just shows GSP's skill level. He will get alot more respect from now on. He is on a completely higher level than BJ.
NatedawgThaM
2/3/09 1:48:37PM
Definitely not. THis was suppose to be some back and forth war or definitely more competitive then it was. Just didn't seem like BJ was prepared well at all. All props and glory to GSP, he made him look very very bad.

He didn't even try anything, GSP just took him down at will and grinded him out. It just frustrates me, Fitch showed me in the 2nd round of their fight that as long as you stay busy, stay in GSP's face and don't let him dictate the fight their is little window for oppurtunity. Fitch won that round I believe or almost did when he was aggressive. But the rest of the fight GSP beat him down just like he did everyone else.

I hope Alves don't let him dictates the pace and lets his hands go and actually gives GSP a challenge. This is ridculous, he is tearing through everybody. Pretty soon me of all people will be calling for Anderson Silva!!!