GSP vs. Penn (causing chaos in two divisions)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » GSP vs. Penn (causing chaos in two divisions)
cj_striker
10/27/08 12:45:11AM
Just wanted to share my thoughts and hear yours on the craziness this fight can and will make in the lightweight and welterweight divisions. Okay so lets start in the lightweight division, imo most LWs even though they wouldn't admit this would love to see BJ win the WW title and Dana say okay BJ you need to stay at WW (especially Joe Daddy and Sherk), and in reality it wouldn't be fair to BJ or his opponents for him to constantly be jumping from 170 to 155 and having to wait longer for title shots, it just won't happen. Obviously the winner of Joe Daddy and Florian should fight Sherk with the winner either fighting for a vacant title or Penn for the title, but which will it be. If Penn does win will he stay at WW or move back to LW. IMO after the GSP fight he should go back to LW whether he wins the title or loses and actually Dana should have never put the WW title up for grabs anyway unless BJ has agreed to stay at WW. I mean if the winner of Joe daddy or Florian vs. Sherk is next in line for a title shot I bet they will be watching this fight and it's aftermath very closely..............................But now on to the welterweight division where even more chaos in caused. Okay so if GSP wins then here's what will most likely happen: Alves will either get a "easy fight" to fill the void of time he'll have off between his fight last saturday and the next time GSP will be ready after the Penn fight, or Alves will just wait for his shot, or if Joe Silva wants to make the fans happy he'll make Alves fight Sanchez with the winner getting a title shot (imo Alves should have to fight Fitch to avenge his loss and prove he is the #1 contender, but that most likely won't happen seeing how badly GSP just beat Fitch recently and Fitch has a good chance to beat Alves again and the UFC may not want to see GSP vs. Fitch again so soon). But if Penn wins and decides to stay at WW then it may be more interesting, imo then Alves vs. Fitch should definitely happen with the winner getting a title shot against Penn, then Diego vs. Kos II should happen (and be way more exciting than the first) to determine who faces GSP next and the winner of Diego or Kos vs. GSP gets the next shot. Man, see how confusing that gets, especially if BJ wins. Can't wait for this fight and to see all the craziness unfold after it. Sorry if something similar to this has been posted, I searched but didn't find anything.
mentalcase
10/27/08 12:53:47AM
sorry i only read half of it..
i think if penn dose win the ww title he can defend one title onces a year and the other twice a year and alternate this would work well i think

as for sherk wanting the winner of stevenson kenflo well thats not good cause if sherk wins then hes easily the #1 contender again so will he want to lose to bj again they just fought and he loss convinsingly i dont see the point and if styevnson beats kenflo thats bad too he will llose to penn again so i say just give kenflo the shot or get some lightweight from DREAM
holt8081
10/27/08 12:58:37AM
ya if silva can jump back and forth then why not penn, I know silvas not going for the LHW belt or anything but still.
mentalcase
10/27/08 1:01:29AM

Posted by holt8081

ya if silva can jump back and forth then why not penn, I know silvas not going for the LHW belt or anything but still.

i heard silva will be going for the LHW title in 2-3 more fights at LHW
GrizzlyChadams
10/27/08 11:27:55AM
I don't think Sherk lost convincingly, i mean, he clearly lost but it was just a poor game plan in my opinion. If it comes to a rematch, he could do alot better.

And we don't have to worry about BJ holding both belts, he's not getting past GSP.
Branwest
10/27/08 3:52:48PM
Also, if GSP beats BJ, and Silva wins in the meantime, then they'll probably schedule GSP vs. Silva. GSP and BJ will be in early Febuary (the day before the Super Bowl), and so if GSP wins, then the Silva fight may be around late-April or May. So Thiago and others may have to wait awhile before GSP defends the WW title. If BJ wins, then they'll probably alternate him between defending the belts. One fight as WW, the next at LW, etc. Then again, Dana may not allow that.
F-i-s-t-i-c-u-f-f-s
10/27/08 4:48:25PM

Posted by GrizzlyChadams

I don't think Sherk lost convincingly, i mean, he clearly lost but it was just a poor game plan in my opinion. If it comes to a rematch, he could do alot better.

And we don't have to worry about BJ holding both belts, he's not getting past GSP.

Clearly losing is kinda the same thing as losing convincingly, no?
GrizzlyChadams
10/27/08 6:04:06PM
What i meant was i don't think he was "Destroyed" or anything.
bls1919
10/27/08 10:01:56PM
I'm not sure how i feel about this situation. I geuss we'll just have to wait and see how they handle it
Pitbull09
10/28/08 12:00:13AM

Posted by holt8081

Anderson Silva fights every 3 months. Penn and GSP wait around 6 months for each fight. Looking at that, I think its obvious why they are different cases.

Aether
10/28/08 8:41:36AM
No offense intended, but if you want people to read your posts you should use paragraphs. I'm not a grammar nazi by any means, but there's a certain point where it becomes too difficult to read.