GSP BJ PENN

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » GSP BJ PENN
Next Page »
SociopathX
2/1/09 1:40:00AM
Total disappointment in this fight.... that's all i can say.

Jesse_Canadian_MMA
2/1/09 2:00:36AM
^^^^^^^^for you my friend, for you as for me oooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ****, Georges took a ************ ta school, dust!!!
Jackelope
2/1/09 2:42:17AM
You know, I will say this and I hope it's a point a lot of fans recognize-

I knew right in the beginning of the second round that the fight was over. Not only was GSP a superior athlete in superior condition, but the gameplan was perfect. I'm really glad that GSP talked about what exactly the gameplan was for the layfolks who might insult him for tying up and going for the takedowns instead of banging. Yoda shined once again, and as far as I'm concerned it was GSP's peak physical condition, sticking to the gameplan, and the gameplan itself that won that fight.

Without a gameplan or footage on one another based on talent alone I'd give the fight to BJ 9 times out of 10. However, GSP did the perfect things by aligning himself with Greg Jackson and training very hard for this fight. My hat is off to the guy 110% He showed legit skills and the ability to stick to a perfect gameplan.

So for anybody who wants to insult GSP's performance as a takedown and light gnp clinic take heed- this is MMA, and the sport just got a lot better with this performance tonight. MMA is becoming a science, and that's AWESOME.

lohmann
2/1/09 2:50:28AM
Supposedly BJ Penn has filed a complaint that GSP greased his back.

No link; heard on Sherdog radio.
haggiswashere
2/1/09 2:55:35AM
It makes me laugh BJ gave george crap for tapping due to strikes in the serra fight and then did basically the same thing and gave up. hilarious
GSPCanada
2/1/09 2:58:49AM

Posted by lohmann

Supposedly BJ Penn has filed a complaint that GSP greased his back.

No link; heard on Sherdog radio.

Bj has definitly taken a blow to his pride he shouldnt be embarassed of his performance but he should be embarassed of the performance he put forth after talking so much, if any complaint or excuse is put forth after this he ought to be ashamed of himself
gartface
2/1/09 3:02:28AM

Posted by haggiswashere

It makes me laugh BJ gave george crap for tapping due to strikes in the serra fight and then did basically the same thing and gave up. hilarious

That's not a fighter quitting when his corner/doctor stop the fight. He didn't tap to strikes, he kept trying to get to guard. GSP was superior in every aspect tonight.

As for the greasing of the back, I can't exactly disagree, he couldn't even hold onto his rubberguard for crap in the second round. GSP shouldn't have been that sweaty, but regardless BJ lost the fight, and I give all the credit in the world to GSP.
cmill21
2/1/09 3:05:45AM

Posted by gartface

Posted by haggiswashere

That's not a fighter quitting when his corner/doctor stop the fight. He didn't tap to strikes, he kept trying to get to guard. GSP was superior in every aspect tonight.

As for the greasing of the back, I can't exactly disagree, he couldn't even hold onto his rubberguard for crap in the second round. GSP shouldn't have been that sweaty, but regardless BJ lost the fight, and I give all the credit in the world to GSP.

I haven't seen the fight but in all honesty I hope GSP is found not guilty. If it's the same as Akiyama's suspension it will be hefty.
gartface
2/1/09 3:09:43AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by gartface

Posted by haggiswashere

I haven't seen the fight but in all honesty I hope GSP is found not guilty. If it's the same as Akiyama's suspension it will be hefty.

Honestly I'm not sure even if he did, they would be able to justify or prove that it happened. But he did seem unreasonably sweaty after a round of clinching and grabbing a single leg, for BJ not to be able to hang onto his foot in rubber guard.
loonytnt
2/1/09 3:26:33AM
Shawn91111
2/1/09 3:27:24AM
ESPN postfight interview with GSP GSP stated that yes his corner men accidently put vasaline on his back as he forgot he even had it on his hands when he went to rub down GSPs back. So yes GSP was greased so BJ is making a true statement. He also said that it was immediately removed prior to the round starting so they never fought with any extra grease on his back.
GSPCanada
2/1/09 3:32:29AM
i Saw that gsp said the athletic commission saw it before it happened and when it did happen all the steps were taken to remove it and the atletic commission let it continue.

any mention of what round that took place?
gartface
2/1/09 3:34:23AM

Posted by GSPCanada

i Saw that gsp said the athletic commission saw it before it happened and when it did happen all the steps were taken to remove it and the atletic commission let it continue.

any mention of what round that took place?

His back seemed unreasonably slick(grease or sweat) in the second round when BJ was in guard.
jiujitsufreak74
2/1/09 3:47:15AM
i knew there was going to be some controversy with this fight. look, GSP didn't grease, as someone else already explained his trainer had Vaseline on his back from putting it on GSP's face and forgot to wipe it off. it was immediately removed by a towel before the round even started so there was no foul committed. his back didn't seem unnaturally greasy at all imo. when BJ was in guard in the second GSP kept posturing up and using leverage to break BJ's high guard, he wasn't slipping out of it. it isn't like BJ's legs have super stick on them either, so when you have a guy posturing it's not like he isn't supposed to be able to break your high guard.
telnights
2/1/09 4:14:33AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

i knew there was going to be some controversy with this fight. look, GSP didn't grease, as someone else already explained his trainer had Vaseline on his back from putting it on GSP's face and forgot to wipe it off. it was immediately removed by a towel before the round even started so there was no foul committed. his back didn't seem unnaturally greasy at all imo. when BJ was in guard in the second GSP kept posturing up and using leverage to break BJ's high guard, he wasn't slipping out of it. it isn't like BJ's legs have super stick on them either, so when you have a guy posturing it's not like he isn't supposed to be able to break your high guard.

I agree GSP was doing just what he should do to break a high guard and it had nothing to do with him being greased up. I think BJ is just looking for an excuse as to why he lost after all the smack talk he was doing. BJ is still a great fighter he just isn't built for the 170 weight class and needs to stick to 155 which he is still top dog in my eyes. BJ lost because GSP had a great game plan for this fight that worked to perfection and the fact that GSP is much larger than BJ, but skill wise I think they are very even fighters. The only shame BJ has in this loss is the smack talk. But when you break it down he lost to one of the best fighters in the world that came in with a great game plan and is much larger than him, there is no shame in that.
TimW001
2/1/09 4:20:22AM

Posted by Jackelope

You know, I will say this and I hope it's a point a lot of fans recognize-

I knew right in the beginning of the second round that the fight was over. Not only was GSP a superior athlete in superior condition, but the gameplan was perfect. I'm really glad that GSP talked about what exactly the gameplan was for the layfolks who might insult him for tying up and going for the takedowns instead of banging. Yoda shined once again, and as far as I'm concerned it was GSP's peak physical condition, sticking to the gameplan, and the gameplan itself that won that fight.

Without a gameplan or footage on one another based on talent alone I'd give the fight to BJ 9 times out of 10. However, GSP did the perfect things by aligning himself with Greg Jackson and training very hard for this fight. My hat is off to the guy 110% He showed legit skills and the ability to stick to a perfect gameplan.

So for anybody who wants to insult GSP's performance as a takedown and light gnp clinic take heed- this is MMA, and the sport just got a lot better with this performance tonight. MMA is becoming a science, and that's AWESOME.

I would agree. GSP showed an MMA lesson. He looked technically PERFECT.
crushedbacon
2/1/09 4:41:06AM
Maybe BJ should have been running bigger rocks under water?

"To the death Georges....to the death"....Hawaiian translation = End of the 4th round....... LOL. Wow....that boys got some **** to swallow with all the smack talk he dropped.....good....2-3 in the welterweight division....see ya later.

Next.......
jack
2/1/09 9:14:27AM
It wasn't a fair fight for the "Hawaiian" I lived on Maui for a year and a half and "their" idea of a fair fight is five on one! (Just kidding it's more like a four to one ratio)

Where's the dude that made the report card on BJ's superior striking skills? I can't remember if we made a sig bet or not. Hit me up if we did....if not oh well.

GSP dominated every aspect of the game. BJ was done right when he walked into the ring. He just didn't look right. He seemed like he a school bully that talks a lot of crap to a guy to start a fight but as soon as the guy accepts the fight he realizes his mistake and has his corner throw in the towel. That call wasn't up to his corner or the doctor....he wanted no part of GSP after the beating that he took.

Who's the "little bitch" now?
EvenFlow
2/1/09 9:30:56AM
I agree this was a very disappointing fight. Supposedly one of the greatest fights in history and George lays on him for 90% of the fight landing ground and pound, he should have kept the fight more exciting too imo but he played the right strategy so there you go. Disappointed in BJ as well, I thought he wanted it more than that.
DCRage
2/1/09 9:37:58AM
To me rounds 3 & 4 were Hughes-Penn all over again. GSP did what Matt did, absically use BJ's head (maybe the hardest in all MMA) as a punching bag. Frankly, Penn had very little to no chance from the start. I'm just happy for KenFlo because this should mean he finally gets his LW Title shot. GSP should be able to fight on the Canada card in April, wouldn't be surprised if it's defending against Alves. And nice show of respect by Alves last night too.
jocka
2/1/09 10:42:31AM
How can people be disapointed by the fight yesterday, GSP outstroke BJ, GSP executed a perfect gameplan. Took it to the ground, slowly passed bj guard into side control and pounded bj's big head until he broke him.

When is the last time you saw someone pass bj's guard like that, it was such a exciting fight. Maybee i liked the fight so much just because GSP tooled Penn and made it look easy. To be honest am curious to see what bj has to say now that he lost the biggest fight of his life after talking all that smack, i went on his website and there was no update yet he is probably busy $%^#$%^ himself like he told others to do lol.
Franklinfan47
2/1/09 11:11:13AM

Posted by SociopathX

Total disappointment in this fight.... that's all i can say.

It wasnt a disapointment for all us GSP fans, thats for sure. Watching Penn get beat for four rounds made my week. And Penn gave up after chirping St Pierre! To quote Matt Hughes, "I Love it "

I would like to say all you Penn fans that were talkin trash, bow down! The reign of GSP has come. Penn is a good fighter, but no one can touch GSP at 170, Penn should know his role and stay down in his division.

Watch out Thiago Alves, your next

WAR GSP
FrankTheTank1181
2/1/09 2:46:38PM
Was anyone else amazed by GSP's description of his strategy in the interview with Rogan? I had already had a few drinks by then, but it was something like making BJ constantly push him off while in guard to make the blood go to his shoulders and make his boxing slower.
RampageOwnedYou
2/1/09 3:58:17PM

Looks to me as if someone is cheating. Look at GSP'S cornerman putting vasoline on his back.
I see why BJ's corner was furious with seeing this.
I wonder what actions will be taken for this happening several times in the match.

Dont get me wrong though. I believe GSP would win if they fought again. I think GSP is somewhat boring to watch, but do however think he is a solid. I dont think he will beat Alves however, as I see Alves as being a major force in the UFC for years to come.
tuvok500
2/1/09 4:20:56PM
The fight was not even close, BJ did nothing at all, and he is not that great at 155 like a lot of peoples are telling.

I predict another complete domination by Florian over the no shape BJ and bye bye BJ.

If he was that great he would have at least been competitive .. lol

eschuie
2/1/09 5:23:32PM

Posted by EvenFlow

I agree this was a very disappointing fight. Supposedly one of the greatest fights in history and George lays on him for 90% of the fight landing ground and pound, he should have kept the fight more exciting too imo but he played the right strategy so there you go. Disappointed in BJ as well, I thought he wanted it more than that.

Its comments like this that make me confused. The object of the fight is to win right? So why wouldnt any fighter that had a better chance on the ground not do it? If you dont like GNP then stop watching MMA and start watching Boxing. You will be a lot happier.

I like both fighters, but Penn got his ass wooped, plain and simple. Oh yeah and the whole cheating excuse is real lame.
Boo_Radley21
2/1/09 5:37:14PM

Posted by RampageOwnedYou

Looks to me as if someone is cheating. Look at GSP'S cornerman putting vasoline on his back.
I see why BJ's corner was furious with seeing this.
I wonder what actions will be taken for this happening several times in the match.

It boggles my mind how people find excuses after every fight that their guy loses in. BJ got the **** kicked out of him, and I couldn't be happier, especially after all the **** he talked. And now he's complaining now that it's over? BJ Penn isn't the best P4P fighter in the world, but he is quite possibly the P4P most disrespectful fighter in all of MMA. And that's why he's also one of my least favourite fighters.

EvenFlow
2/1/09 8:09:43PM

Posted by eschuie

Posted by EvenFlow

Its comments like this that make me confused. The object of the fight is to win right? So why wouldnt any fighter that had a better chance on the ground not do it? If you dont like GNP then stop watching MMA and start watching Boxing. You will be a lot happier.

I like both fighters, but Penn got his ass wooped, plain and simple. Oh yeah and the whole cheating excuse is real lame.

lol You shouldnt be confused, I found the fight incredibly boring and find fighters who try to win fights on the cards and patter away with the least amount of skill wheather it be lnp and chippy gnp boring.

That has nothing to do with not liking MMA or not understanding it I just didnt like the fight and absolutly did NOT live up to the hype, I dont care what you or any of the GSP nuthuggers say that fight was boring and shows that GSP just wont stand with you anymore if he can win the fight with strength alone.

He wont be able to do that against Thiago, I guarentee it and dont call me out things like this when I give credit to GSP having the superier gameplan and saying im very disappointed in BJ, maybe read what your looking at more closely bud.
FrankTheTank1181
2/1/09 8:27:27PM

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by eschuie

Posted by EvenFlow

lol You shouldnt be confused, I found the fight incredibly boring and find fighters who try to win fights on the cards and patter away with the least amount of skill wheather it be lnp and chippy gnp boring.

That has nothing to do with not liking MMA or not understanding it I just didnt like the fight and absolutly did NOT live up to the hype, I dont care what you or any of the GSP nuthuggers say that fight was boring and shows that GSP just wont stand with you anymore if he can win the fight with strength alone.

He wont be able to do that against Thiago, I guarentee it and dont call me out things like this when I give credit to GSP having the superier gameplan and saying im very disappointed in BJ, maybe read what your looking at more closely bud.

It actually showed he could take down BJ whenever he wanted to, pass his guard at will and beat the crap out of him, but you could be right.
EvenFlow
2/1/09 8:35:14PM

Posted by FrankTheTank1181

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by eschuie

Posted by EvenFlow

It actually showed he could take down BJ whenever he wanted to, pass his guard at will and beat the crap out of him, but you could be right.

It was boring, he relied on strength to win, period.
Pages: [1] 2